Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've got one of the inflatable ones, an Intex Explorer K2, to be carried about 15 miles on bicycle to the reservoir and used for the first time tomorrow morning by around sunrise

I am excited !!

I wish I'd thought to get a gopro chest strap or something today, though. Not that there's gonna be much action but, y'know, nice pictures :shobon:

My fiancée and I just tried ours out in New York Harbor for the first time and its a great thing to have for easy trips. We need to go up to VT to pick up a canoe from her aunt but haven’t yet figured out a roof rack situation for the Sentra if anyone has any tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know it’s on the heavier side, but a budget option is trawling Craigslist for a big ol aluminum Grumman or Alumicraft canoe, which can be had for $100-200, depending on where you are. They’re indestructible and basically flip-proof; my friend overturned his truck and trailer of 8 such canoes on the freeway and he only needed to patch two. My fiancée and I are capable of hefting them onto said trailer. Also they can hold all of your camping gear and let the pupper walk around a bit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

*slamming fork and knife into table*
BIG METAL BOAT BIG METAL BOAT

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

On the bright side, I’m pretty sure my kayak glides well over snow. I just need shorter paddles :)

My friend had a lot of fun taking his kayak down the snowed over the very tall steps of a park in my city until he got to the very bottom, tried to stop against a wall and broke nine bones in his leg and foot. We then dutifully dog-sledded him to the ER. Kayaks are great on the snow.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Colonel J posted:

I use these

in my hood and trunk to create anchor points and these ratchet ropes

to tie down the bow and the stern. Along with cam straps and J-bars on my rack, I never feel like my kayak can move at all.

For the ratchet ropes, do you use two or four?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I have a canoe transportation question. I have a very generic sedan and transporting it is tough because there are no good tie down points in the front or back. Yesterday I tried using generic hood and trunk loops (with the little nylon loops sticking out of rubber cylinders) and none of them managed to stay secured in the hood or trunk. Is there a brand that has loops with bigger/sturdier/more reliable anchors?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

honestly i was gonna see how much it would suck to affix some led strips to the gunwales. retroreflective is a good call tho.

but also for balance

this is about the aesthetic of my land vehicles:

is it tacky af? absolutely. but this is exactly the level of visibility im gunning for at night on this urban river. i wasnt kidding about being A loving Menace but also i would never do this tacky poo poo in the actual wilds which is why im also trying to make everything easily strippable in the event of Actually Going In The Woods.

Hell yeah you rock. You'd always be welcome in our Brooklyn dirtbag wharf rat canoe club.

Speaking of, my partner and I just got our own vintage 14' Stowe and are ready to trick it out after watching the Macy's fireworks from the most polluted body of water in the country. :coal:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nth-ing the probably fine. Got my 14' canoe on my 14' sedan (with roof rack, can't tell from that article if the mfgs included that in their calculations) safely down from its old home a few hundred miles away. Just make sure your tie downs are good (pull over to check every couple miles when you first go out) and you have flags if it extends past your bumper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

amenenema posted:

On sawhorses in the yard

I live in Brooklyn, so I definitely don't have a garage. My guy now hangs perfectly on the old satellite dish mount.