Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My friends and I do 2-3 multi-day canoe trips every summer, usually in the 20 mile range and I think I am in a place where I just want to have my own day-touring kayak for these trips. Nothing crazy, the occasional class 2 rapid, pretty chill times.

We're all backpackers as well so all my gear is small and light, and I could throw my daily ration of 30 beers on someone else's canoe

It seems like something like the Pelican Mustang 120x is pretty close to what I'd want, though it'd be cool if it has a second hatch. Should I just pull the trigger on one of these or is there a better option I should be poking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Do you have a budget in mind?

I'd like to stay in the three-digits realm, but I could be convinced to go higher

e:

The Pungo 120 is really calling to me but It's a bit more than I want to spend
But I'm dumb as hell and will probably say gently caress it and do it unless a better rec pops up

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 27, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

The Pungo 120 is really calling to me but It's a bit more than I want to spend
But I'm dumb as hell and will probably say gently caress it and do it unless a better rec pops up

Son of a bitch

Found a local-ish shop that has Dagger Axises in stock, which I'd be super jazzed about

But someone on Facebook marketplace has a listing up for two brand new Pungo 125s, Life vests, paddles, covers, dry bags, and a bunch of other poo poo for $1900

But none of my friends want to go splits with me, and I don't really want to have to deal with relisting one of them

Fuckkkkkk me

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Lol where are you at? I'll go in halvesies on that if you're near me

Western PA

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

How lovely of a time do you think I'll have, at 6'2" 190lb in a 10.5 Dagger Axis, with the intent of loading it with 2 days of camping gear?

There's one on Craigslist ~2.5hrs away from me for $400 which is a fuckin steal, but not worth it if it's going to be a lovely experience

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Was less a question of weight capacity and more of how comfortable am I going to be sitting in it, height wise

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

God Hole posted:

I don't really *need* to know, but my state requires all non-motorized watercraft to be permitted for launch in most bodies of water and they ask that you provide the make and model.

You can just straight up say "It is an old town canoe" and it'll be fine

My Axis is registered as a "Dagger Kayak year 200X"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

honestly i was gonna see how much it would suck to affix some led strips to the gunwales. retroreflective is a good call tho.

but also for balance

this is about the aesthetic of my land vehicles:

is it tacky af? absolutely. but this is exactly the level of visibility im gunning for at night on this urban river. i wasnt kidding about being A loving Menace but also i would never do this tacky poo poo in the actual wilds which is why im also trying to make everything easily strippable in the event of Actually Going In The Woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-Exm8oRP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Last summer I bought a used Dagger Axis 10.5

After four cancelled canoe trips, I finally got a chance to take it on its maiden voyage this weekend!
It was a pretty nice time, but at 6'2", it's definitely a wee bit cramped, and getting in/out of the cockpit was a bit of a chore.

Seems like either nobody buys or nobody re-sells Axis 12s, so I'm looking at a Pungo.

There is a brand loving new Pungo 125 listed on Facebook for $700, which is insane, but it's also a five hour drive away, and while I have tons of friends in that area and could make a nice weekend out of it, I definitely don't have time for that trip between now and my next camping trip, and that's got me pretty bummed out.

Near me, everyone is listing first generation Pungos from like 2010 for $800, loving insane.

The fact that they make a 120 and a 125 seems so silly to me. Like, I recognize that 6" can make a difference (sure wish my Axis was 11') but producing both SKUs at the same time just seems whacky

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 24, 2023