Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
hello kayak thread

i use an ultimate 12 by native watercraft

https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/

i've had it for ~11 years and i love it. stable and comfortable, tracks incredibly well and light enough for me to carry easily with my gear as well if necessary. picture is from last saturday on a local pond but i'm usually out on a tidal river.

this was from 2 weeks ago at the last navigable start of the river 11 miles from the mouth, further up it becomes all salt marsh

i started as a kid using an old great canadian canoe and continued using that with friends into my 20s but after everyone got married or died or moved away i bought a 17ft wooden kayak, used it for a few years and realized i wanted something a little more durable and bought my 12' native. during spring summer and fall i try to get out 3-4 times a week but probably average 2.5 over the course of those 9 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
2 weeks ago in the "swamp" section at the end of the river. 1 mile from the put in you can take a left and paddle 10 more miles to the mouth or you can take a right and paddle a few miles into the swamp
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/UyZq5z2_ruet7v7xRnLTJsf0Xy6CfM10QsiIGmjrRdY/https/i.imgur.com/LjdVGoj.mp4

one of the bridges you paddle under on the river
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/CymowVJgNRtN5YVUP1qwt1WPRXYwWlzMkRAvQJepTAQ/https/i.imgur.com/Q2L8D4N.mp4

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

lamentable dustman posted:

So I've been meaning to buy a kayak for years because whenever I rent one I have a blast, any suggestions? I live in Charleston SC so it will primarily used in marshland and intra-coastal water but I wouldn't mind being able to go into the harbor (at least on the edges) or even ocean water. I'm thinking a sit on top would probably work best for me.

The option to fish off of it would be nice as well.

i am so completely in love with the ultimate 12 and honestly believe it's one of the best investments I've ever made. tunnel hull, comfortable seat and very durable
but i've used it exclusively for over 10 years now so i'm sure there are others here who may know more about variety.

https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/

new one costs $749 and they're made near you in north carolina

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Speaking of buying a kayak....how do you do it right now?

Like, everywhere is sold out, sun dolphin went out of business I thought, and from what little I've read the plastics come from overseas so even the US manufacturers arent making much right now.

I've been wanting to buy one, but literally can't find any in stock that arent 1. over $1k, 2. Lifetime walmart specials, or 3. Those fold-able or inflatable ones.

it suckssss

depends where you are but around me there are still shops selling used ones and rental places that routinely sell their older models at a discounted price. and buy for what you need like don't invest in a 17ft ocean kayak if you're going to be paddling on ponds and slow rivers and vice versa

also craigslist can be good

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Ciaphas posted:

Use the Direct Link with img tags, like so

Good morning all, biked 10mi to be here and feelin pretty fuckin good. First time with this inflatable on the water too :D

hells yeah :)

i got out early this morning and paddled to a little island I've been chilling on for a bit now. great day to get out on the water

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Ciaphas posted:

I paddled alongside a school of ducks quietly for like 20 minutes and it was the most contented I've felt in a very long time :unsmith:

finally home and it was amazing on the river today. i passed 21 canada geese swimming single file into one of the side channels of the river:

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I built a pirogue a few summers back, posted about it in the Nautical Insanity thread in AI. It's a little plywood canoe.

Build log: https://imgur.com/gallery/4sl1B

thats really beautiful and its something i hope to do at some point. my 17ft wooden kayak was built by a local high school that has a program where kids build the kayaks and then sell them at cost. they even took it in a repaired it for free after my first year of beating it up so i gave them $40 to get pizzas of something

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

n0tqu1tesane posted:

It looks good in pictures and at a distance, but it's also something where I learned a lot building it and if I did build another one it'd be a lot better. I'd build it with an additional set of ribs to make the bottom fatter through most of the boat, and add another two inches or so to the sides.

loaded up for a week at the family river house.

my parent's house on the river is collectively known as "the riverhouse" and we all live close enough to help them keep up the yard and dock. This pic is from today from the island (it's an island in the marsh and it's a pain in the rear end and super muddy to walk to so it's basically an island) i paddled to:

my oldest brother came down to the island with our family's pontoon/party boat and our friend came in his new inflatable on the right, a 16.5 bris he got for $600 new this year and something like $1500 for the engine. i took the pic from my kayak as i was heading back and they were setting up to grill. I wanted to ride the sweet spot of the tide back and take out before the put in i launched from got muddy. the river house is 4 miles downriver form the island so i usually launch from a spot only 2 miles away. lets me get there quicker and spend more time upriver where it's much nicer to paddle.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

charity rereg posted:

hi canoe thread, last year i canoed 450 miles across the northeast until my poo poo was stolen in rural vermont and there was no canoe thread, glad to see you.

backstory if you have the time and are willing to share

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

charity rereg posted:

Another goon friend and I attempted the Northern Forest Canoe Trail last year in a Kevlar Winonah Escape 17'6" - we made it up to Island Pond VT when I got my stuff stolen (we were doing a 90 mile section of upstream paddling after crossing Lake Champlain into VT). We started in Old Forge NY, went through the fulton chain of lakes, down the racquette river into saranac, then out the saranac river up to Champlain.

We crossed an international border and canoed into and out of Quebec, portaged probably over 75 miles, only did 1 double carry on the entire trip, and after my stuff got stolen we turned south and came home on the Connecticut River until we met up with a family friend in southern VT and went home where I was instantly almost fired from my job. Due to the way it ended I have had some really weird feelings about it and haven't really talked about it, and also didn't write enough things down when it was fresh.

The stuff got stolen when we took the boat out because we couldn't paddle against the current anymore and we kinda stupidly walked the packs up to the road & scouted, then came back for the boat. In the 5-10 min we were gone someone drove up the shoulder of the rode and stole (only my) pack including my glasses, money, cards, passport, and probably $900 in gear.

We camped every night on either some designated sites, shelters, and open camping along the trail or just... you know, wherever. If you ever want to feel strong as hell I recommend canoeing and portaging in the summer heat for 5 weeks. We are obviously going to try it again as soon as we can but that'll be a bit, as I said work almost fired me for being the victim of a crime and it was a really weird/sore/therapy worthy subject for me for a while.

I am now happy to talk about literally any of it but its a very personal sort of experience so not sure what people would be interested in knowing :)

I do a lot of hiking as well and really am not an expert canoeist but now I would happily call myself intermediate. Oh also we sat in the same seats on the boat for the entire trip, no swapping.

sorry that happened to you, especially in vermont which always seems like such a "nice" state. the trip sounds awesome though.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

MrZodiac posted:

I ordered one of those nifty Oru folding Kayaks because it'll fit in the trunk of my car without much hassle. Now I need to source everything else, does anyone have recommendations for a PFD and paddles that split in two? I'll be doing largely flat water (Potomac area near Arlington VA / DC).

for paddles:
https://bendingbranches.com/paddles/kayak-paddles

i've had mine for ~12 years and i love it and from people I've talked to who also have them they love them too

the one i use:
https://bendingbranches.com/kayak-paddles/wood/impression

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
paddled in a pond yesterday:

and the river today, stopped on blueberry island and waited for the tide to switch:

some friends paddled in, some boated in and i met some new cool people who were in the other side of the island as well. beautiful day.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Syano posted:

Let me ask this... are fishing focused kayaks useful for anything else? Like day paddling or heading down a river?

mine is made for fishing and i don't fish, use it multiple times a week for day paddling 9 months out of the year, but i guess it depends on the model too. since i mainly go by myself it's nice to have a very stable and comfortable kayak

as for the other discussion about loading a kayak on my car i place towel on the roof and lean the kayak against the side of my car, then lift the back and pivot the kayak onto my roof front to back, throw some foam pads underneath and two straps and i'm good to go within ~2 or 3 minutes. roof has some scratches from doing it so frequently but i figure its a decent trade off for being able to load up without being too stressed

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
another beautiful day to paddle

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

amenenema posted:

Recommend me a boat post:

Thinking canoe - want to carry my wife and our dog (40lb) plus small cooler and odds-n-ends for river/lake paddles. Priorities would be side to side stability and low weight for hoisting up on top of a Ford Transit Connect (6 foot high roof line). Comfort and maneuverability would be second tier, speed and capability in rough water would be of least concern. Size/type/brand/materials??? Would be a bonus if I could put a little electric motor on it for going upstream and/or days where we just don't want to paddle!

yes i am a shill for native watercraft but this is a hybrid kayak/canoe that i believe would fit your needs:
https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-14-5-tandem/

there's other models that have pedals or engines as well

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Epitope posted:

My buddy just got back from a good little epic. A "5-7 day moderate" canoe trip took him 4 days. You're back early! Ya, it was like max 52 F the whole time, the wind dumped me, I'm dumb and didn't use dry bags, so I paddled non stop and pulled over and paced while it was dark. Haha, good job mate

:cripes: lol

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

prom candy posted:

I got to use my new paddle today, huge improvement even on my big pig fishing kayak. It's just way lighter and less tiring to use. Water was like glass most of today, here's the sun peeking out this morning

that is beautiful :love:

more pictures from everyone please

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

its all nice on rice posted:

Actually took it out last weekend on a short camping trip.

I camped at Diablo Lake. Diablo and Ross lakes are two of my favorite camping locations in Washington State.

It being post Labor Day, and smoke choking everyone, I was able to book a site at the closest camping area to the boat launch (thunder point). The site is great because it's about a 30-45 minute paddle, and you don't have to traverse the roughest waters. On calm water it's fine, but the winds can get real nasty on this lake. Past thunder point, you go (generally) from a headwind, to a crosswind, to a tailwind in a fairly short span.
When I was booking the site, the ranger told me Seattle City Light was draining the lakes (they run the dams on Ross, Diablo, and Gorge Lakes.) "The boat launch will be unusable, but you should be able to use the dock."
I took this photo from the edge of the boat launch, and that's the dock on the right:

The mud was super sticky, and hungry for shoes. I had go about 50 or so yards to find a solid spot to launch from. This photo is from the same spot as the previous one:

I made sure to get an early enough start before the winds moved in. The water was perfectly smooth, but the first quarter mile or so was more shallow than I expected. The water was very cloudy, and my oar even hit ground at times, bringing up clumps of clay and mud.
The added weight from all the gear, and sitting in the the bow seat definitely helped with stabilization, and the boat tracked very well.

It took about 45 minutes to reach the thunder point dock. Even with the lake down about 15 feet, it's deep enough past the floating breakers that the docks are easily accessible at the campsites.
I wanted to take the boat out after setting up camp, but the wind moved in, and I did not want to deal with it in an empty canoe. I've passed multiple swamped canoes in the few times I've been on these lakes. Risking it with no ranger actively patrolling wouldn't be smart.

While the first day was smoky, a front moved through and cleared it all out. Here's pre and post smoke:

About half an hour after sunset (#pixel4nightsight)

The plan was to stay from Th-Sun, but it rained a lot more than expected on Friday night. The tent pads were so dry and dusty, they turned into giant puddles. My tent stayed dry on the inside, but I knew that more rain was on the way, and decided to pack it up Saturday morning.

Once I got back to the launch, I was too tired and wet to take multiple trips lugging an ~85lbs canoe and all my gear to the car, so I said "gently caress it" and jumped the curb.

Overall, I'm happy with the canoe. The webbed seat was a good decision, and much more comfortable than expected. The grip tape definitely helped stop my feet from sliding around.
This is probably my last trip for the year. Maybe I'll get a wild hair up my rear end and do some fall camping if I'm still stuck as WFH.

I highly recommend anyone in Washington or the Vancouver, BC area to check out Diablo and Ross lakes. They are an amazing place to camp or just boat for a day. On a clear day, Diablo is an emerald green, and Ross is a deep blue. Highway 20 is also a great drive or motorcycle ride.

Here are two photos from my prior trip showing just how green Diablo gets:

that looks like it was a beautiful trip :love:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
really hot days i'll bring a frozen 2 liter bottle of water and as the day goes on it melts into ice water. most days i bring a little cooler, some water, some kind of sugar drink, and in my small dry bag a couple bags of honey roasted cashews. nice long days i'll bring a sandwich and some beers too.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

empty sea posted:

I went kayaking for the technically 2nd time today. The first time was a tandem in the Gulf about 13 years ago and it was just ok. Today my friends and I rented kayaks for a 4 mile trip and it was AWESOME. I don't know if it was the vitamin D kick from finally getting outside after years on night shift and seeing the sun and nature or what, but I immediately wanted more.

What I'm stuck on is how do you buy and get someone to install roof racks? I don't want to install it myself and I have no tools. What do I do? I'm pretty confident I could find a kayak that works for me and store it but how the hell do I get it on my car??

I just use straps and foam. if you set them tight and right they're safe and quick.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anybody got recommendations for a sit in day-use kayak? I’m in Michigan, so it would primarily be river and inland lake use, though calmer days on the Great Lakes shoreline are certainly a possibility.

Price would be up to $1k, and ideally would be light enough to portage a bunch. Primary consideration is seat comfort. I’m 6’0” and 200 lbs, so on the larger side of things. Secondary consideration is cup holder location: I hate crotch cup holders. I know this can be modified later, but it would be cool to not have to muck about.

If you’ve got Recs that fall outside my price range, I’d love to hear those too.

native watercraft ultimate 12

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Casual Encountess posted:

im assuming the logistics of a kayak mean i need to buy locally, but besides craigslist/fb marketplace and rei, who else has a good selection?

I think you're a Bostonian so I'd recommend billington sea kayak in Plymouth. They're great and they let you test the boats out on site

http://billingtonseakayak.com

though it's worth checking with places that rent them out because sometimes they sell their old boats to make room for newer ones

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

sick. yeah im looking to eventually track down a used pedal kayak but i know thatll be an all season trawl.

a little closer is gone bananas

http://bananasinc.com

but in my experience they don't know as much as the billington sea kayak guy

good luck on your search

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

im actually stoked to figure out how to tow a kayak on my bicycle

if you're ever on the south shore on a Friday or Saturday I can show around the tidal rivers and ponds here, kayaking is what I live through the winter for

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Foam blocks and NRS straps.

this

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

SpeedFreek posted:

On my Buick I made up some strap loops and used the fender bolts to hold them down. Just pop the hood and flip them out and you can hide them when not needed. For the rear I put the ball mount in and used that. Works great for the canoe but I haven't found a good way to move the kayak other than throwing it inside the burban, it's too heavy to get on the roof rack by myself.

For a pedal system Hobie makes a great one, the price was kinda hard to get over but I wanted something I'd enjoy using. I didn't want to make the mistake of getting one I wouldn't use again.

for heavier boats i lay the boat against the roof perpendicular to the car with a towel under it to hopefully prevent scratching and then pick up the rear from the ground and slowly walk it towards the back of the car until its on the top where you can adjust it forward if needed. then i stick my foam pads underneath and pull the towel out, apply the straps etc.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Sockser posted:

How lovely of a time do you think I'll have, at 6'2" 190lb in a 10.5 Dagger Axis, with the intent of loading it with 2 days of camping gear?

There's one on Craigslist ~2.5hrs away from me for $400 which is a fuckin steal, but not worth it if it's going to be a lovely experience

i'm 6'3" and 210 and my 12ft native gets low when packed with gear. google says the dagger can max at 300lb but i'm assuming 300 will get you sketchy low in the water for your trip. i'd say it depends on the weight of all your gear and how far you're paddling but imho $400 for a $1000+ kayak is a great deal even if you don't use it for camping depending on how much you can reasonably get out and paddle each year.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Sockser posted:

Was less a question of weight capacity and more of how comfortable am I going to be sitting in it, height wise

how much does your gear weigh? sorry if i didn't make that clear. depending on how far you're going and what the other people's boats are. if you're only going a couple miles and the people you're with have similar boats then it could be fine but if they all have longer faster boats and you're weighed down and miserable then ya that will suck. you max that boat out at 300lb then it will not be a fun paddle. as far as height goes you need to try out a boat and decide for yourself if it works for you. anything less then 12ft for me is a no go, fine if it's just loving around on a pond but for distance i want something longer and faster.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

:love: great post, nice work and cool dog

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

iospace posted:

Well, I'm going to do the 'right thing' and rent one and try it out at a local outdoors shop before jumping in head first.

Only problem is it's a good 40-45 minutes by car.

it'll be worth it

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Salt Fish posted:

Any advice for how long of a boat I can put on my Mazda3 hatchback? It's 14.6' with tiedown spots front/rear. My crossbars have 30" spacing between them and I haven't bought a kayak rack yet for the crossbars. I found a pile of very frustrating AI written pages trying to search this, and those were trying to claim 10.5' was the max boat length, but my gut says I can get at least a 14.5' on there without any real issues.

quick google says 11.5" for your car

https://activeatthebeach.com/how-long-a-kayak-can-your-vehicle-carry/

but I've seen people do longer sea kayaks up to 15'. when I owned a jeep I'd regularly strap my 17ft wooden sea kayak on and attach a red rag to the back because it hung over. my current car is a 4 door sedan and I easily strap my 12ft native on top. I just use pads and straps and have no issues, though I go so frequently that my roof is covered in scratches. i don't really care about those but I realize most people probably do.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Salt Fish posted:

I've been checking Seattle craigslist every few days and I've noticed a ton of 16' and larger kayaks that aren't selling, a decent number of 10.5's that seem to come and go within a few days, and just about nothing in the 12-14' range. I assumed that was the most popular category, but maybe people tend to keep those once they get them? Or they get bought up pretty quick? I've got several months before spring but its interesting how that middle section seems relatively rare in the used market.

imho 12ft is ideal for recreational paddling.

i own 3 native ultimate 12s (now sold as the fx 12)
https://nativewatercraft.com/pages/ultimate-fx-12

and 1 pungo 120
https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/kayaks/pungo-120

as well as a 17ft wooden sea kayak that i haven't used in ~10 years, it just hangs on the ceiling now.

for me it's just an easier, more comfortable and more stable length, easier to transport and store but long enough to not just be a pond boat. i go out a lot but not in the ocean, mainly tidal rivers, lakes and ponds. and i'm not trying to race anyone. this summer it seemed there was as lot on the market, some people who bought during covid and then didnt use them. there are some nice 10-10.5 like the dirigo 106 but they're for smaller people (i'm 6'3" 208lb, dirigo is more for 5'6" or smaller people).
https://oldtownwatercraft.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/shop/kayaks/recreation/dirigo-106

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

PokeJoe posted:

splash around flat water in

jfc dude lol