Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a rack with Subaru "Aero Bars" going across my roof horizontally so if I really wanted I could just throw it up on there upside down and ratchet the hell out of it and it probably wouldn't go anywhere. However, I appear to be a moron because I tried two different ratchets just now (I'm going kayaking for the first time this year today :)) and can't get them to work. They both can't ratchet down to far. I have like 10 feet of cord left before the roll is filled up too far and it just clogs/stops.

Luckily I have the tie downs both of my racks came with. The Subaru ones failed on me on a SUPER windy day and my kayak almost flew off but I was able to pull off the road. However I also have the Yakima ones which are the same style. So I used both of them, 4 tie downs.

With a ratchet strap, start with the ratchet mechanism as loose as possible. Then pull the loose end of the strap through the ratchet mechanism. You should get the strap kinda tightish before you start ratcheting. The ratchet mechanism is just to take up the last few inches of material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is this the URL? https://paddlingmag.com/skills/15-tips-to-conquer-any-portage-canoe-how-to/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ah, sorry, it looked broken on my desktop. Carry on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I had the exact same thought!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Your fuel mileage is going to suffer, but it's definitely doable. The 78" bars are a little less than 6" wider than an Outback, so it should be legal. My biggest concern would be: how are you going to strap the canoe to the car? Yakima suggests strapping it down like this:

3 weeks of having to undo the rear strap to get into your trunk is going to be a little annoying, but not unlivable. Make sure you use some padding to protect the paint where the front strap contacts it. Trucker Wisdom is you can put a half twist in your strap to keep it from vibrating in the wind. Make sure you can open your cargo box without having to move the canoe, because that would get extra annoying.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh dope, yeah, you'll be fine. Have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The roof rack on an Outback is sufficiently tied to the structure of the car that I'm not too worried about a kayak pulling the whole thing off, but I agree the bow and stern lines are necessary.