Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Got my first 10ft kayak this summer, I'm so happy to be a lake person now.

WTF kind of boat is this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
2020 was the year I bought a kayak and became a "lake guy". I went out on the water 10-15 times, each time was a blast. Can't wait for the snow to melt!! I bought it in July last year, so the season was somewhat shortened, but this year I won't be able to wait very long after temps come back up :D

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Usually I'm able to be pretty patient during the winter, but this is my first winter waiting for kayak season to start back up, and it's a lot harder than usual.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Don't know where you are but cold weather kayaking is pretty fun with the right gear and can be especially pretty in the winter

I'm in Quebec, pretty much everything is frozen here. With my 10ft kayak I'm not too keen to go on the St-Lawrence...

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Found this cutie out kayaking in swamps this weekend :3

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I almost capsized yesterday. I was on the middle of a bigass lake, my kayak was loaded with gear (everything for camping 3 days + rock climbing equipment, ropes and all) so I was pretty low, and there was heavy wind and waves. I took a quick break to stretch and lost my balance for a second, the side of the boat went under the water and a whole bunch of water rushed in.

Thankfully I was able to right myself relatively quickly and made it to an island to pump the water out. Closest call I've had so far. It would've been pretty bad with all the gear. Always be on your guard, wear your pfd and practice emergency measures.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I use these

in my hood and trunk to create anchor points and these ratchet ropes

to tie down the bow and the stern. Along with cam straps and J-bars on my rack, I never feel like my kayak can move at all.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

For the ratchet ropes, do you use two or four?

One in the front, one in the back, so 2.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It’s just new boat and long trip anxiety…. My nightmare scenario is one of the clamps failing and a brand new thousand dollar kayak I had to drive three states over to buy flying off into the freeway.

If you're REALLY paranoid you can run a strap around the boat and into your car, you'll get redundancy in case the rack fails. Hope your car stereo is loud though.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 10, 2021

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

pseudorandom posted:

I don't have a recommendation, but do have a word of warning.

It sounds like you already want to buy one, but I still want to say this for you or anyone else reading this: Be careful falling for the tempting siren song of building one of the DIY kayak carts. I did that. It turned out fine. But, for a "$20 DIY Cart", I ended up spending probably an extra $100 on tools and whatnot. Unless you have the tools already, or are planning to buy those tools, beware that you could easily spend the same amount of money doing DIY as just buying one that's probably better anyway.

I mean. you still get to keep the tools after

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Man that must suck. I went on a 3 day kayak camping trip this summer on the Cabonga Reservoir (basically one of the most remote places in southern Quebec) this summer and I haven't had such a feeling of isolation and seen such deep starry nights often in my life. Hope you get to experience it eventually!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Had a nice 20km paddle this weekend, said my goodbyes to summertime <3

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
An invaluable one imo is a paddle leash. If you lose your paddle good luck coming back.

edit: also this year I'll probably get a paddle float. I practiced re-entry a bit last summer and in a canoe it's manageable, but in my 10-ft kayak it's really hard.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 19, 2022

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Casual Encountess posted:

place opens at 8am and i have plenty of morning availability. are there drills or exercises i should be doing to improve my skillset? i only came to tiny boats last year after not touching them since i was a kid. im self teaching so how do i figure out bad habits?

I don't have much to say regarding paddling, but I'm a big fan of practicing capsizing and re-entry to gain confidence on the water.
It's a lot of fun to stay close to the shore and just mess around with the boat, not caring if you fill it up with water.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp, got a Dagger Stratos 12.5L and my partner got a Hurricane Prima 125.

Those colors are awesome!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I made this! Just need to paint it now. The long bar at the top is to hang a tarp and have it encompass the 12-footer, winter is brutal here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Seconding this.

Strap and line management is an absolutely critical part of boating that way too many people overlook. Whether on the boat or on the car, learn how to do it right and securely.

I use 1" NRS cam straps to go across boats, like to crossbars or to rings in the bed of the truck or my hitch extender. Always two across the hull of the boat no matter what you've got it rigged on, no matter the weight of the boat. It's easy to get your cross straps tight enough with just cam straps. Don't use ratchet straps, they can suddenly get way too tight and dent or wrinkle your hull, especially if the ratchet is in contact with the hull. Then I'll use either ratchet straps or a trucker's hitch on the stern and bow points. Lighter, flexible boats and paddleboards usually get a trucker's hitch, my canoe gets a ratchet strap in the back, trucker's hitch in the front (think about your windshield and hood).

For god's sake don't skip the stern and bow straps with a boat on the roof. A buddy of mine lost the entire canoe on the interstate, and it took the whole roof rack off the car with it. That's just a general PSA, not to any poster here in particular.

Hauling a kayak 600km on the highway and being confident it won't fly off my car is one of those things that made me feel like an adult who knows his poo poo.