Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
On my Buick I made up some strap loops and used the fender bolts to hold them down. Just pop the hood and flip them out and you can hide them when not needed. For the rear I put the ball mount in and used that. Works great for the canoe but I haven't found a good way to move the kayak other than throwing it inside the burban, it's too heavy to get on the roof rack by myself.

For a pedal system Hobie makes a great one, the price was kinda hard to get over but I wanted something I'd enjoy using. I didn't want to make the mistake of getting one I wouldn't use again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've seen the ones that go in the hitch receiver for supporting lumber or other longer loads, then it's just a matter of attaching a roller from a boat trailer to help with loading. The towel method is a lot cheaper.

The Hobie is too heavy for any of the side load assist racks I've seen but they look like the easiest load assist method out there. Easiest method still is a flatbed trailer but it looks a little funny using a gigantic equipment trailer to move a tiny 12 ft kayak.

I'll work on getting a picture of the straps I installed on the Buick for holding the front down, it worked very well for something non damaging or permanent.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I have friends that surf Lake Michigan in winter and they just wear heavier wet suits. A dry suit is probably overkill if there's still open water.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Did my first serious Stand-Up Paddleboarding in like a year, 90 minutes out and developed 4 separate blisters.

Is there something equivalent to cycling bar tape to put on paddles to reduce the chance of blisters or should I just do more shorter outings and develop hand calluses?

The paddles that came with my hobie do this to my hands, none of the other paddles I've used did this. I planned on trying grip tape for handlebars.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
With a canoe I always use two straps in front, too much shifting side to side. On my Buick I made strap loops bolted into one of the fender mounts on each side, pop the hood and flip them out when needed then for the rear strap I would put the ball mount in and use that. The kayak is short enough I just fold the seats down and put it in the back of the Suburban, too heavy to lift on to the roof by myself.