Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seconding NRS. I have a previous model NRS Ion and it's super comfortable. I can wear it 6+ hours paddling and still be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I finally got my kayak out of storage after moving this spring, and it was a good drat glorious day to do 10 miles. That said, I'm finally ready to upgrade, I think. I definitely want something that tracks better than this ole barge.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sockser posted:

My friends and I do 2-3 multi-day canoe trips every summer, usually in the 20 mile range and I think I am in a place where I just want to have my own day-touring kayak for these trips. Nothing crazy, the occasional class 2 rapid, pretty chill times.

We're all backpackers as well so all my gear is small and light, and I could throw my daily ration of 30 beers on someone else's canoe

It seems like something like the Pelican Mustang 120x is pretty close to what I'd want, though it'd be cool if it has a second hatch. Should I just pull the trigger on one of these or is there a better option I should be poking?

Do you have a budget in mind?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pelican is still sort of bottom of the barrel last I looked.

The Pungo120 is a pretty good all-around kayak. Pretty much anything in the 12ft range from Wilderness Systems, Perception, Old Town, or Dagger that fits your budget would likely do pretty good.

I don't know if you can find the deal near you, but the Perception Conduit 13 was on sale for like $650 at a couple places here in the last couple weeks and that would be a pretty decent boat for a couple days on the water.

Edit: The Pungo 120 is suuuper cush, it's definitely a really nice ride

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 27, 2022

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sockser posted:

Son of a bitch

Found a local-ish shop that has Dagger Axises in stock, which I'd be super jazzed about

But someone on Facebook marketplace has a listing up for two brand new Pungo 125s, Life vests, paddles, covers, dry bags, and a bunch of other poo poo for $1900

But none of my friends want to go splits with me, and I don't really want to have to deal with relisting one of them

Fuckkkkkk me

Lol where are you at? I'll go in halvesies on that if you're near me

Edit: dagger axis is a p nice paddle, esp the 12 footer

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sockser posted:

Western PA

Ah, alas. A bit too far for me to grab a kayak from.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have experience with Feelfree kayaks? I'm looking at their aventura 125 because it looks like a pretty good deal, but there's not a whole lot out there about them.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Dagger Axis has a skeg which is nice if you're doing longer or windy paddles

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone know anything about Swell Watercraft? Scupper 14 looks like an interesting twist on a sit on top

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

First paddle of the season. I want to upgrade my kayak so bad. This Future Beach has done me well for over a decade, but it's super wide and slow and I'm ready for something quicker. I'm going to test paddle a Dagger Stratos 12.5L and a Hurricane Tampico 130 this week. The more I thought about it, the less I wanted a 14' sit on top. 12-13ft is a sweet spot for me I think, and I really do like being tucked in and snug instead of the completely open cockpit.

:negative: I also started looking at dry suits cuz I'd love to four season paddle up here in WI. Goddamn they're expensive.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

I have friends that surf Lake Michigan in winter and they just wear heavier wet suits. A dry suit is probably overkill if there's still open water.

I've thought about going the wetsuit route, but I absolutely hate paddling in a wetsuit. Considering the price of a decent dry suit, I might just have to suck it up, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, got a Dagger Stratos 12.5L and my partner got a Hurricane Prima 125.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I was pretty stoked with the colorway on the Stratos. It is so much fun than the super sun faded plain blue one I upgraded from.

Nothing super cool yet, but I got the inaugural paddle in. Also my first roll and first time using a bilge pump. The cockpit is super snug from the smaller opening and hip/thigh pads that exiting is tougher than I thought it would be. I tried pushing myself up and out and swung my leg over to plant on the lake bottom, but apparently the left side of the kayak was a very drastic drop off to like 4ft, so I went rear end over teakettle and rolled the thing. :negative: