Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Has anyone covered any significant distances hauling both a cargo box and a canoe on roof racks? My partner and I are driving from Virginia to Colorado in June and I've found a whitewater canoe (mad river outrage, about 12 ft long) nearby that I'd like to buy since I haven't had much luck finding one locally.

We'll be bringing our dog and packing for 3 weeks including camping gear, along with 2 bikes on my hitch mount bike rack. I had planned to put a cargo box on the roof in order to have room for everything, but now that I've found this canoe I'm wondering if it's wise to even attempt 1700 miles driving across the country with this setup. My thought is that I'd put the 78" wide Yakima bars onto my Outback and that would give me room to carry the canoe and box side by side. If it's going to make the drive home unsafe or miserable I can live without the canoe and keep searching for one closer to home, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has had success with a similar setup.

Jato fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks for the feedback! In the past when carrying a canoe I've used these straps on the hood and trunk and it makes it pretty easy to pop into the trunk when needed.

We wouldn't be driving with the canoe for 3 weeks, just staying 3 weeks in Colorado, and then we'd be driving straight back to Virginia just stopping to stay the night a few times.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

What series of events led to your current circumstances?

godspeed, post a trip report