Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I am doing a 100km kayak marathon tomorrow I have not been in a kayak ever have done some canoeing tho but it is 0 degrees Celsius outside wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Jato posted:

What series of events led to your current circumstances?

godspeed, post a trip report

A friend has a midlife crisis so I am going along to support his aspirations. It is on a river and we need to carry the kayak over 4 dams or so as well. At least during the day it will be 6-7C so should get better. And I do brazilian jiu jitsu so hoping all the pulling movements from that have given my back muscles some work. :D

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I am OK, it was a competition format, tired as gently caress after 18 hours of suffering so will share the trip report tomorrow.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

lovely tuna snatch posted:

I am OK, it was a competition format, tired as gently caress after 18 hours of suffering so will share the trip report tomorrow.

Alright, recovered enough to share the experience.

My friend who likes to suffer signed us up for https://www.vohandumaraton.ee/en/. This is a 100 kilometer kayaking/supping/canoeing/rafting marathon taking place in Southern Estonia. Since we have basically flat terrain in the country, the river path runs on a very flat course, where you need to carry the boat over 4 times (dams in the way) and a few "rapids" (20-30cm drop lol). Here's the course map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PGd3RTdXaMQme7Fuz4tMHrdTcQA&femb=1&ll=57.959544565543645%2C27.25572415000002&z=11.

I mostly do running and sweat a lot. Thus my assumption was that I will also be sweating during this race. That was not the case - I dressed too lightly and basically did not account for the cold weather at all. On top of that, my "apron" (the thing you attach over the kayak to prevent water from falling in) was too small which means I was wet basically from the start of the race. That means I got cold shivers for the first 4-5 hours of the race and every time we got out of the kayak to drag it over the river. I was shivering even when we got back home but managed to get to sleep and was OK by the morning.

Race started at 7AM, we were there at around 6:30AM. First it was a 5km circle in a lake, took a quick piss stop at ~10km, first carry over at 31km and then lunch break at 41km. About that time sun came out and it was more or less manageable being wet as the sun warmed us up (was about 7-8C outside). There were rapids between kilometers 45-55km where my apron completely failed, we got pretty heavily flooded with water, had to drag the kayak out at a random place, drain it of water and switch into dry clothes. After that the river got a bit wider and it was pretty smooth sailing to 75km, where the dinner stop was. Got heavy cold shivers again but there was a warm-up tent so warmed up a bit, got back in and turned on our headlamps as it was already 9PM. It was pretty OK up to the end, last carry over at 90km, then it started snowing but the river was chill and wide for the last 10km and we finished at around 1:30AM. Friend picked us up, we had a rented kayak that we didn't have to deal with further and got home to sleep at around 3:30AM.

Overall, if I had waterproof clothes, my apron had worked, and I had picked gloves from any other material beside polyren, it would have not been that difficult. The kayaking part itself was pretty OK, did not feel much muscle fatigue. But my fingers and toes were frozen for pretty much the entire race and today are swollen up like sausages.

Feel free to ask me about any extra stuff, basically I screwed up on clothing super bad, the faulty apron screwed us over even more, I figured it was going to be an easy boating trip down the river but would definitely prepare a bit more seriously equipment wise next time. :D My relative who was on a 6 man raft finished 2.5 hours faster. I don't have any pictures other than selfies taken at the rest stops as my fingers were too frozen to take the phone out at any point of the journey. This is at the 41km lunch break:

lovely tuna snatch fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 21, 2024