Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I finally got a new rack system to replace my Subaru rack that I didn't like. This one lays the kayak flat and is way easier to take the kayak on and off myself. Plus hopefully I won't almost lose it in the wind again. I went the budget route and got the Yakima Evenkeel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I left my kayak on my car because I plan on going kayaking soon and didn't want to take it off and put it back on again.

We had a thunderstorm last night.

It's probably filled with water. :suicide:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those Oru Kayaks look so cool. Super expensive though. I just checked their website and they have a new one called the Inlet that's at the low price of $899. I got my kayak for maybe $199.

I've been trying to get a new kayak rack for months now. I accidentally took my Yakima Evenkeel rack through a touch carwash and broke one of the mounts. I contacted their customer support and they don't sell individual ones but I got a discount code though. However, nothing is in stock. Nothing at all. And they have no lead times as far as I know. Thule is out of stock on all flat mounts too.

I hate the J mounts because getting the kayak up there by myself is a pain in the rear end. The flat ones I can mount it from the rear (heh).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow, that looks really cool and very affordable. Looking at it, I agree, the sides look a little low.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Demon_Corsair posted:

Survived my intro to river kayaking course. Its interesting just hanging out upside down underwater just waiting for a t rescue.

My next question is about roof racks. I have a leased mazda 3, so I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a roof rack that I will just have to sell when my lease is up. Is something like https://www.amazon.ca/Rightline-Gear-100K10-Block-Carrier/dp/B07YN33SX7 decent, or just a recipe for disaster?

There is a massive roof rack shortage. I've been waiting on a few different Yakima racks to come in stock for months now and no luck.

I have a J rack that I don't like using since it's hard for me to get the kayak onto it. I really want a flat one with cradles and I have a discount code for Yakima so I'm trying to hold out for them and not spend $300 (more than what my kayak is worth) for a rack.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 9, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a rack with Subaru "Aero Bars" going across my roof horizontally so if I really wanted I could just throw it up on there upside down and ratchet the hell out of it and it probably wouldn't go anywhere. However, I appear to be a moron because I tried two different ratchets just now (I'm going kayaking for the first time this year today :)) and can't get them to work. They both can't ratchet down to far. I have like 10 feet of cord left before the roll is filled up too far and it just clogs/stops.

Luckily I have the tie downs both of my racks came with. The Subaru ones failed on me on a SUPER windy day and my kayak almost flew off but I was able to pull off the road. However I also have the Yakima ones which are the same style. So I used both of them, 4 tie downs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Safety Dance posted:

With a ratchet strap, start with the ratchet mechanism as loose as possible. Then pull the loose end of the strap through the ratchet mechanism. You should get the strap kinda tightish before you start ratcheting. The ratchet mechanism is just to take up the last few inches of material.

I see. I was putting the very end of the strap in there and ratcheting it all the way. I'll try that next time!

I went kayaking with a Meetup.com group and it was nice. Just on a calm lake for about 1.5 hours. The youngest one was a pediatrician about 5+ years older than me and the rest were 20+. It was still fun.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I were to ever get a kayak cart I'd get one of those portable folding ones.