Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

NoWake posted:

. Afterward I floated around by the Lakeshore Drive bridge and ate some of my picnic lunch.

I used to live about 200 yards north of where this picture was taken. Paddling the Chicago River was a cool experience because of the concrete canyon effect and just the traffic volume. You had to be paying attention but I never felt it was dangerous. We always rented kayaks up on Lincoln park because when I lived in Chicago my boats were always in storage in another state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Hello kayak thread, I’ve been around small boats my whole life. Growing up we lived on a small lake and had an Osagian wide bodied Aluminum canoe and later my dad got a Phoenix Poke Boat Kevlar Maxi sometime in the mid 90’s which made me fall in love with kayaks. Having a sub 30 lb 13 foot wide kayak really opens up possibilities of where you can go and at good speed. We mostly used the poke boat for waterfowl hunting but also some fishing and lake trips. We paddled the Missouri River quite a bit with the canoe as well as most of the Ozark scenic water ways in southern Missouri.

After college I got the hair brained idea to race the Missouri River 340, that is a nonstop canoe race from Kansas City to St. Louis down the Missouri River. For that race I ended up buying a used 18.5’ Crozier V1 carbon fiber racing canoe which was very fast, around 36 lbs for a tandem boat, but also very tippy. The carbon skin was so thin you could feel Asian carp hitting the outside of your boat at times. We ended getting about the hottest year of that race and finished it in 60 hours or. We sold the crozier shortly after to a team doing the race the following year.

Around the same time I got a future beach 126 plastic kayak for $300 or so. It’s a slow heavy pig at nearly 60 lbs for a 10.5’ boat but it is quite stable and is a decent recreational boat. I’d really like to pick up a Kevlar Wenonah canoe as a nice mix of capacity, durability and weight or if I can ever find a tandem poke boat within a days drive I’d buy one of those too.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

prom candy posted:

whoops i just spent $419 CAD on a paddle ($224 USD + shipping, tax, and exchange rate) :homebrew:

To be fair the best money spent in paddling is on the moving weight of the paddle. I’ll never go back from carbon fiber paddles.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

I don’t understand why fishing kayak need to be be pigs. If they weren’t all plastic boats to begin with it would help. I can’t overstate how much difference the same hull design in Carbon/Kevlar/fiber is faster and lighter than molded plastic. Our poke boat is stable as hell and weighs 27 lbs.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

prom candy posted:

Sit on top is better for casting, generally you need a lot of gear that's all easily accessible, and you want a good platform for mounting poo poo all over the place. Plus you want to be able to fish standing up (which like I said is something mine doesn't actually do that well)

As far as materials go my kayak gets beat to hell because I'm always trying to fish somewhere stupid (next to downed trees, next to big rocks, in 2 feet of water, etc.) and I wouldn't want something where I was cringing every time I banged or scraped it.

Kevlar is super durable even compared to plastic. We often break ice while duck hunting with our poke Kevlar boat.

We haul a ton of gear in our poke boat, like 3 dozen duck decoys, dry bags and a shotgun and shoot from the boat. I don’t see any advantage to plastic boats besides upfront cost.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Yooper posted:

Cost is the major driver. A roto mold assembly with minimal post processing is far more cost effective than a composite manufacturing setup. I'm not sure I've ever seen a composite sit on top. I paid like $400 for my sit on top plastic boat, closest comparison that is that short I can find is a 12' kevlar canoe that's $2,500. The fishing kayak market seems to go from entry level plastic like my Pescador 10.0 all the way up Hobie's and Native Watercraft. Unfortunately no options for any composite boats.

It's also really easy to just drill some holes, mount a holder or rigging line, and be done. Composites require a bit more post processing.

Used composite boats rarely sell for over $1k from what I’ve seen and bought. My carbon fiber racing canoe was a $4-5k Boat new and I bought it for $900 and easily sold it for a similar amount. The only composite boats I see bring more money consistently are Wenonah canoes and Composite surf ski’s at those are like $2k at most used. Here is a great example of an amazing used composite boat https://www.ebay.com/itm/Poke-Boat-...c75f2%7Ciid%3A1

I understand why $300 plastic boats are attractive but a lot of guys end up building $2-3k plastic monsters that start with a weight well over 100 lbs before they pile on a bunch of gear to the point you can’t move the boat without a truck or trailer.

I don’t think modifying a composite boat is particularly difficult and their repairability is quite a bit better than plastic welding.

I know I have somewhat contrary opinions to the current boat group think but in my opinion keeping a paddle powered boat as maneuverable, light and simple as possible is where their greatest value lies.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

charity rereg posted:

The used canoe/kayak market is EXCEPTIONALLY regional. It's also one of those weird markets where there aren't a lot of people buying, but there also aren't a lot of people selling. For us when we bought a Kevlar touring canoe... our options were limited, and we still had to drive like 4-5 hours round trip to pick it up.

I was constantly killed by how fragile our boat was for such a long trip but my god with two strong paddlers we were fast and pretty drat maneuverable. We'd come up on people in rentals or just tooling around and rip past them and it was always cool. We generally travel light and I feel people treat canoe trips like car camping & make themselves needlessly miserable.

We also had CF paddles on the trip with a big honkin cheap plastic paddle as our spare, we also used it as a pole/line and even to push off rocks.

Yeah when I bought my carbon boat it popped up like 4 hours away in the middle of January. First email to the boat picked up was like 48 at most. I basically dropped everything, built a rack that day from 2x4’s, pull the cash from an ATM and took off to get it.

I’ve found similar deals intermittently and all were usually 6-12 hours away. The beauty of canoes and kayaks is the cost of keeping them is next to zero compared to something with a motor, registration and trailer. It sucks to drop thousands on a boat without a motor but when you get it out 20 times a year for 25 years its worth it.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

charity rereg posted:

I don't actually know what "no portage" means but it sounds fun :v: But yes then go nuts and sink the boats with booze IMO

We would go on “float trips” on Ozark scenic rivers where a 1970’s school bus drives like 60 people 4 miles up stream and you would just coast back to the takeout at the camp ground. Being blackout drunk was the norm for a 3 day weekend. The cost of the canoe rental, shuttle and camping was like $50/person for whole weekend. It’s like the opposite of boundary waters.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

20 Blunts posted:

I really want to do the Upper Missouri River Breaks. Like realllly bad. Anybody here ever been? I put the stupid Marlon Brando western on the other day and ended up just reading about the Breaks instead of watching that "film."

I have some experience with canoes, and some experience with dispersed camping, but I'm probably not quite ready. Still seems like my dream trip, otherwise my little brother really wants to do Boundary Waters.

I might buy my first kayak here soon, I'm going to the UP in September in what is mostly going to be a hiking trip, but we're going to be on a smallish lake that I might do some practice kayaking on.

I looked into it for a hunting trip and have a lot of experience on the lower Missouri River. There are a few canoe trip outfitters operating in the summer in the breaks monument.

Season 3 Episodes 4 & 5 of Meateater take place on that stretch of river by canoe. I believe they put in at Judith landing.

It’s not a particularly hard canoe trip other distances between takeouts are like 30 miles in some cases with roads that deteriorate quickly with any rain.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Syano posted:

The oldest will be 11 next month. The littlest is 8. If I go this route I'm thinking we will all stay real close together until they become competent paddlers. Either that or I guess figure out how to spend 20 grand on a jon boat that can hold us all

I don’t think with elementary age kids I would be worried about having 1 adult for 2-3 kids in a canoe. I mean by time I was 10 I was running canoes, row boats and pedal boats without direct supervision. The good thing about kids that size is their weight is light enough to put more than the coast guard rating in if you add a seat and go by total weight alone. All of these assumptions also consider that the kids are comfortable around water, can swim and have PFD’s.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So I left my kayak on my car because I plan on going kayaking soon and didn't want to take it off and put it back on again.

We had a thunderstorm last night.

It's probably filled with water. :suicide:

You don’t put it on cockpit down? Always cockpit down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

prom candy posted:

It takes me about 15 minutes to solo-load my fishing my kayak on to my civic. It's less work with a truck but you still have to tie it down really securely. I'm not sure how much work it would be to load and launch a jon boat vs. four kayaks. If the lake is fairly large you might be better off with the jon boat although at the same time you can get places on the lake with a yak that you can't get with a jon boat. gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bass boat and a bunch of yaks.

Loading kayaks into a truck bed takes about 10% of the effort as getting them onto a car. It’s like 1-2 tied downs and you are good plus half the loading height. I’ve spent years with both situations and it’s not bad with a truck.