Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Boats!

Current fishing kayak. Pescador 10'.

Previous kayak.

Prior to that I had a Valley Skerray, 17', that was way too much boat for me. It was good enough to roll, tackle expeditions, and look badass. I was not.

I also have a Wenonah 18' canoe but it rarely goes out as it's a pain to move. I picked it up from a guy who retired and was leaving the state the next day so I got it for a wicked sweet deal.

I've come to realize that portability = more time on the water. I'd love to have a Hobie but the weight on some of them puts them into "ugh" category. That and the $4k price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

prom candy posted:

What paddle should I get for my sit-on-top fishing kayak? I want to be able to cover more water without getting sore so quickly.

Hi Pescador bro. I've got the same boat minus your cool seat. I went from a generic paddle to a generic carbon fiber paddle. Didn't see a whole lot of difference, that boat is just a big pig. I used to hop between my Tsunami 14 and that Pescador and the difference was amazing. When I had my 17' Skerray I'd paddle alongside my friend in a Tsunami 14. What was almost effortless for me was a total workout for him.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Kevlar is super durable even compared to plastic. We often break ice while duck hunting with our poke Kevlar boat.

We haul a ton of gear in our poke boat, like 3 dozen duck decoys, dry bags and a shotgun and shoot from the boat. I don’t see any advantage to plastic boats besides upfront cost.

Cost is the major driver. A roto mold assembly with minimal post processing is far more cost effective than a composite manufacturing setup. I'm not sure I've ever seen a composite sit on top. I paid like $400 for my sit on top plastic boat, closest comparison that is that short I can find is a 12' kevlar canoe that's $2,500. The fishing kayak market seems to go from entry level plastic like my Pescador 10.0 all the way up Hobie's and Native Watercraft. Unfortunately no options for any composite boats.

It's also really easy to just drill some holes, mount a holder or rigging line, and be done. Composites require a bit more post processing.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

I am ultra new to kayaks (uh, gone twice on sit on top ones) but love the nimbleness vs most canoes I have been in. I had already been planning to buy one this summer, last year, but had some sudden health things go on (not 'rona). Didn't see the point of buying one post abdominal surgery with a 10lb lifting limit.

Now they all seem to be sold out, although 2ndary market has a few. I am planning on shelling out for a 2 hour kayak lesson (group classes all cancelled) at the big paddlesports store in town. My YouTube education makes me think I am not paddling correctly, and if I can do it smarter from the start, good.

What would you look to avoid in second hand yak purchasing? My goal is to get a touring one so I can stuff my small hammock camping set up in the hatch, and do mostly lake or take river stuff. When I am better at it, I want to hit the Apostle Isles. Precision looks to have a good price point. Looking to spend not more than $750.

Avoid anything that started life at a Walmart or Menards. Even a bargain outdoors store like a Dunhams can get Perception or other mid tier brands. I've had kayaks all the way from a Skerray 17' to my current Perception sit on top. I found that I never needed what the Skerray was capable of, rarely need what my mid-tier Tsunami 140 was capable of, and am very happy with my sit on top Perception Pescador. For your use I'd look at a 12' boat, but when you say touring I think longer skinnier boats. The longer the boat the narrower they can make the whole thing (which reduces drag) so you can paddle it further with less effort. But the initial stability is reduced. A beginner really likes high initial stability, where someone with great paddle control excels in a boat with less initial stability. The longer the boat the better tracking (usually) but it will also maneuver a bit slower.

Something like a Pungo 12 is a pretty chill unit with a decently comfortable seat. You can still buy a skirt for it if you desire. It'll have a single bulkhead for some gear, but you won't be storing much gear in it. My uncle has a few Pungos and virtually anyone can jump right in, paddle, and have fun. There is also a Tsunami 12.5 that is higher performance. (And narrower cockpit) I really liked my Tsunami 140, so I bet the 125 is a good boat too. A friend had an Old Town 14' and it paddled like a milk crate, I could consistently outpace him even though I am in worse shape, the hull form sucked. I've used Wilderness Systems stuff as an example because it's pretty common and you can explore alternatives yourself.

I've never kayak'd the Apostles but Lake Superior is a special kind of animal. I'm near Pictured Rocks and without fail, every year, someone gets in trouble using a totally inadequate Sun Dolphin 8 foot or some dumb Walmart boat. Usually it's August and they are close enough to shore to not die. There is all sorts of signage posted now about it and that has helped. But even in August hypothermia is very real for anything away from shore. Make sure you are very comfortable with self rescue and probably wear a wet suit if you are straying any distance from the cliffs.

PM me if you ever end up in the UP, I can put you on some good kayaking.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

How does one repair a Roto-Molded kayak? I get how to do repairs on fiberglass/carbon fiber, but I don't know what you do with the molded stuff.

It can be welded. I've used a plastic welder before (not on a kayak), it's like a hair drier meets a soldering iron. You use a rod of plastic stock, preheat the tool (with proper air flow), and slowly fuse the two sides and new rod together.

Edit : a guide from Perception Kayaks on repair - https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/sites/default/files/images/products/Polyethylene_Repair_Guide.pdf

Yooper fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 2, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thom ZombieForm posted:

(Never kayaked) - Found a "beginning sea kayaking" class and am looking at trying it out along with inviting a few others. Looks like this covers exiting and re-entry and some paddling techniques. Is there an an analogy I can use when thinking of / describing the exertion levels of practicing exiting/re-entry? I want everyone to have a good time but we are all at various fitness levels. I'd hate to see anyone (including myself) struggling to perform these activities out in the water with their close friends/family watching - so would like to be up front with what to expect (instructor I spoke with made a loose fitness requirement of being able to do a situp/pushup)

Edit - found these two REI instructionals on exit/re-entry, doesn't seem toooooo bad
exit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4PgYkeJzw&ab_channel=REI
reentry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHYtQR79Z4&ab_channel=REI%A0

Think of hauling yourself out of a pool without a ladder or steps. Not difficult, but it takes some core strength. I spent a couple of hours practicing exit-re-entry a few years ago and it was a definite workout. Doing a few wasn't a big deal but I really felt it after a about a dozen. I used a paddle float and it was an interesting effort in balance and core strength that was hard to parallel. The class should be enjoyable and hopefully the instructor versed in how to convey this to a novice.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

The season has passed for me (as a dunk in Wisconsin water this time of year sounds like what I want to avoid). I am wondering on how many used once/never kayaks and canoes may be on the market next year... Then again, next year will likely be the same situation as vaccine distribution could be slow...

Hoping the production catches up with demand, too!

Used market always seemed weird to me. I've sold a handful of kayaks (not 2020 market) and gotten close to what I paid. But the market has been growing in my area for the last 10 years. That said I know people who have kayaks and canoes that get used, at best, once a year, and sit in the rafters the rest of the time. They aren't interested in selling, so they turn into holiday boats.

I'll be selling my canoe as my wife doesn't feel comfortable in it (Interested? You'd get a sweet deal...). I'd like another canoe, but need to get something I can use solo.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

I am still waffling on what I want. On one hand, I enjoy canoes, and have more experience with them. On the other hand, my goal is water-craft travel based camping. My other half is ok with going camping, canoeing - he seems to enjoy it, he just never initiates it, and I am fairly sure my desire to sleep under a bug net and eat ashy food, sneak up on turtles on logs is much higher.

So do I get a solo craft, and one for him, or a two person I only can use if I drag him along? One would be more economical, space in garage is pretty tight too. I could be wrong, but I think there are canoes that can do solo or 2 people?

Also I am working on it, but the last couple times I went canoeing, I could easily go for hours, but I can't lift a 2 person canoe over my head. (Am a 43 year old lady goon). So to roof rack something heavy is tough. (I do have a rack, hood loops though!). Kayaks seem to be easier to throw around. But canoes hold more stuff...

(Long post, here is a picture of a turtle I snuck up on this summer)

You can absolutely get a two person canoe that is still acceptable for one person. My canoe is not that canoe (17'). I got it to use with my wife and son. It was a great deal, but since she isn't into it it's too big. In hindsight I wish I'd have gotten a 14 or 15 that was kevlar. Now you've got a 35 lb boat instead of a 60 lb boat.

As far as the weight capacity, how often are you hauling hundreds of pounds of gear? A Nova Craft 15 has an 850 lb capacity and weighs 52 lbs. Subtract your weight, his weight, and you've got a ton of capacity. A Tsunami 140 (plastic boat, not composite) weighs 52 lbs with a capacity of 325 lbs. The issue I had camping with the Tsunami was actually fitting it all inside.

If I get another canoe it'll be a 14 or 15', kevlar or carbon, and something I can use solo with a kayak paddle. Then I can throw the dog into it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

My dogs in a canoe.. that would be so much comedy, for about 5 minutes. My lab mix hates/is afraid of water, and the Rottie mix is a fireplug with about the flexibility of an english bulldog. She would have to be lifted in and out.

Yeah, I really should just aim for what I can use. In the Before Times, the other half would play hockey 3x a week, we very much have our own hobbies.

So a 14' canoe or a touring yak is what I am getting as recommendations? I am pretty sure I could lift up to about 75Lbs up. Not sure how big the rental we had for boundary waters, that held 2 adults, a kid, and 5 days of gear just fine. Absolutely could not get it up and over (although I had just paddled for 3 hours in wind so I was a bit beat too).

Those boundary water canoes are built like tanks. Only thing worse is a tupperware Coleman canoe. Indestructible but unportagable.

I'd look at a solo-tandem canoe in either 14' or 15' or kayak in similar length. Like meoweowmeowmeow said, roller racks are a great thing. I'm a bit fitter than the average goon and lifting my 50 lb 17' canoe is difficult, not because of the weight but how damned awkward it is. Lifting it off of our old Subaru was an exercise in futility. Depending on your budget, there is a Wenonah Heron, 15', in ultralight aramid that weighs only 36 lbs for a price of $2899.

If you're near Madison it's worth a drive to go to Rutabaga. Probably the premiere canoe-kayak outfitter in the Midwest, if not entire country. Not sure how it is in covid days in regards to test paddling though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

I am indeed in Madison! I was going to take their kayak class this summer, but they were cancelled in favor of 1 on 1 minimum 2 hour lessons, never got around to signing up for. I have a friend in the big sailboat club here, but he doesn't do anything that small.

My budget isn't quite that high, unfortunately. Used market more likely for me... Student loans, mortgage, car payment and I'm gov clerk, not a cool IT goon. :smith:

Start watching for Outfitters selling used boats and summer home cleanouts. Minocqua, Eagle River, Hayward etc. The downer about the outfitters is the boats err on the side of durability, not weight and most are 17-19 foot boats.

For example : https://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/d/grand-marais-wenonah-kevlar-boundary/7214985193.html that is a 17' kevlar Wenonah.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

Rented a canoe at an outfitters on the Kickapoo River today. Heavy freaking tank of a plastic body, two beat to poo poo oars, $40. Realize now why - the water is so low, grinding against gravel was pretty regular. Had a good time and went about 8 miles, in 90F (31C) heat.

Would love links to any great YouTube resources on steering. I realize, almost all my canoe time is with experienced friends/family in back, and me playing the part of dumb muscle. We cut a fine figure, zig zagging like nuts, and ended up ramming a tree snag once, 'unhorsing' my boyfriend from his seat as we both used our oars to slow the crash. Thankfully, didn't dump, the tank kept tanking, and no one witnessed our comedy lack of skills.

(I assumed because his parents have a canoe, he would know how. Now he tells me, he never has actually been in one as an adult) "I have been in a rowboat" he says...

Check out videos from Bill Mason. YouTube has some, but the quality ones are at the NFB website.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_solo_basic/

He's like the Canadian Bob Ross of Canoeing. Kerchief not optional.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone used Gator Guard or a similar product to patch a rotomolded kayak? I've got a wear spot on the tail of the kayak that cracked through.

Edit : So my old IKEA cutting boards are made of the same stuff as the kayak, but thicker!

Propane torch, rasp, and some cold water. I smoothed it out after this pic but it was fairly easy to do.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mcqueen posted:

Looking for some recommendations on kayaks. Sped through the thread and decided that two singles would be better than a tandem for me and my partner. I have a rack on my truck so space is not a concern. I have been kayaking maybe a dozen times so far so I’m not new but absolutely not a pro. Personally, I’d like to take it camping and kayak out to a site. Got the pfd, whistle and radio picked out.

So for a 6’2” 250lb all legs person, I see the following leads in this thread:
Dagger Axis
Wilderness Pungo
Perception Conduit

I recently rented a Necky Looksha tandem and found the space your legs go uncomfortable for my frame, was cramping after 2 hours, so maybe a slightly wider kayak seems to be the way to go? Is this tier of entry level kayaks pretty standard and I shouldn’t worry about it a lot?

I've paddled the Pungo's and they are fine, not a ton of gear space in them though. The cockpit spacing was pretty big, I'm 6' and ~200, but on the plus side the cockpit extends a ways so your legginess might be OK. The entry level tier is all fairly similar but the seat designs can vary a lot. The Pungo's had a really nice seat system at the time I used them. Another option could be a sit on top type, I now have that for fishing and a canoe for camping.

edit : Tarpon 120/140 might fit your needs well.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 18, 2022