Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Part of me wants to get an inflatable standup paddle board and take it down to Lake Michigan and go have fun on the water, or maybe the Milwaukee River for a bit.

Please tell me this is a good/bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Personally I’ve found paddleboards to be a very inadequate way to get around any water compared to a kayak or canoe. I’ve used one on a bay on Lake Michigan and I did go forward, but with absolutely no urgency or speed. I also worry about taking one on any type of rough water.

That said, inflatable is def the way to go.

It would definitely be inflatable, and I'm not really interested in going fast. The Milwaukee River and the surrounding areas are pretty calm, thankfully.

I mean, if someone wants to sell me on an inflatable kayak, do so! I have the carrying capacity on my bike, easy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Verman posted:

I like paddle boards. If you want to cover distance, get a kayak. If you want to get into the water and enjoy yourself, have a good swim platform that you can paddle in various ways (standing, kneeling, sitting) then a paddleboard is the way to go.

It has got me out in the water way more than I thought it would. My suggestion for paddleboard distance is slow and calm touring of relatively calm water. You can paddle miles but it might take you longer than in a kayak.

And that's sort of the thing, putter around the rivers downtown, maybe once I get more confidence, out onto the lake a bit, etc.

Next thing you know I have a bike camping rig that can carry an inflatable watercraft and I'm out and about on that touring a bit :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well, I'm going to do the 'right thing' and rent one and try it out at a local outdoors shop before jumping in head first.

Only problem is it's a good 40-45 minutes by car.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

T-Square posted:

You’ve mentioned paddling on the Milwaukee river, just FYI there are plenty of rental places on the river, I’m sure at least one of them has got to have SUP rentals.

True, gotta put the effort in then.