Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody got recommendations for a sit in day-use kayak? I’m in Michigan, so it would primarily be river and inland lake use, though calmer days on the Great Lakes shoreline are certainly a possibility.

Price would be up to $1k, and ideally would be light enough to portage a bunch. Primary consideration is seat comfort. I’m 6’0” and 200 lbs, so on the larger side of things. Secondary consideration is cup holder location: I hate crotch cup holders. I know this can be modified later, but it would be cool to not have to muck about.

If you’ve got Recs that fall outside my price range, I’d love to hear those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve spent quite a few hours in a Dagger Axis 10.5 and found it to be very very nice for leg room and cramps. I’m 6’0” 205, and didn’t have any trouble with space, let angles, or cramping . The foot pegs had plenty of adjustment spots, and the cockpit is padded should you put your knees up. Seat was only so-so though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody have experience with paddle-in camping? My wife and I live in Michigan and there’s obviously a ton of water here. We’ve been waffling back and forth on getting kayaks vs a canoe, so I figured I’d ask here. The specifics I’ve been wondering about are as follows:

Have you camped using your canoe or kayak? What model/design did you use?

Were there any obvious benefits to your setup?

If anyone’s had experience with both, did you have a preference?

Which would be more cost effective?

What is the thread’s opinion on ideal lengths for this type of use? (Weekend multi-day paddle-in camping, all items are brought on boat)

We will certainly need to portage at various times, so weight and strength are obvious factors. We wouldn’t do any ocean level paddling, but could cover some big lake shorelines, depending on weather and conditions. If there’s any designs that are also convenient for day-use River paddles, I’d love to hear that as well.

Thanks thread.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Personally I’ve found paddleboards to be a very inadequate way to get around any water compared to a kayak or canoe. I’ve used one on a bay on Lake Michigan and I did go forward, but with absolutely no urgency or speed. I also worry about taking one on any type of rough water.

That said, inflatable is def the way to go.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Squee posted:

I bought a tandem fishing kayak during peak covid and have gotten a lot of use out of it, even if it is a pain in the rear end to try load/unload by myself when I want to use it solo. It is very nice for just grabbing a friend and heading out on the water tho.
I just wish I had spent a couple extra bucks and gotten the upgraded version with rails for stuff, but I might try to install some myself soon. Tons of small lakes and rivers here in Michigan tho so always someplace new to go, I just need to take it out to lake Michigan sometime soon.

Does yours have a skeg? I don’t know how “attachable” drop down skegs are, but I’d definitely put it on my list of “want to haves” for any yak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s gonna be a state by state ruling. Federal laws for stuff like that don’t exist in the US.