Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm a big fan of astral PFDs, lots of good options from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I (and my friends) have had nothing but terrible luck with their shoes as far as durability, its a huge shame 5.10/adidas stopped making all their water shoes as they were way better than any Astral shoe I've ever had.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Medium cold water a farmer john wetsuit and splash/dry top will keep you pretty good if it's splashing or spray and a small chance of a flip and immersion. Dry pants and top or drysuit are gold standard for expected immersion in cold weather, with the drysuit being way safer than a combo but more expensive.

Drywear is more comfortable and will restrict motion way less, paddling in a full wetsuit sucks. Drysuits are slightly more fragile and way more expensive, but a good suit will last 5 years of heavy use of it's cared for well. Buy Immersion Research or Kokatat if you can afford it, NRS gear doesn't last.

Add in pogies (paddling gloves basically) and a neoprene skull cap and cold weather/water paddling is very comfortable if you can afford the gear.

It's something like below 120 combined temp wetsuit, and like sub 100 or sub 90 drysuit is recommended. I go straight from shorts and drytop to drysuit personally based on how water and air temps work here and skip wet suits entirely.

This day was combined temps of maaaybe 65 and was pretty comfy in a drysuit and good layers underneath.

meowmeowmeowmeow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 29, 2020

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Listen to the guy up there, sounds like he has a better idea of your use case and weather.

Imo it's all about balancing likelyhood of immersion/getting really wet vs the temps vs how close you are to your car or other warmth after you get wet.

And yeah the number 1 piece of cold weather gear is you off, which is also your number 1 piece of warm weather gear.

Tall neoprene socks make a huge difference if you have to get in the water to launch your boat as well.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
yeah neoprene socks, like the 0.5mm ones are what I wear if its a little too cold for wool socks and astrals but im not quite ready for the drysuit.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Not sure if you've seen them but you can get roof rack rollers that make it easier to get a heavy canoe or kayak on the roof. My 65 yo mom uses them and can get her wood kayak on the roof by herself by getting one end onto the rollers and then sliding it into place.

E: based on what you've written I think you might like a canoe more, kayaks are a little faster and easier to paddle but I'd usually take a canoe for a quiet day on flat water or a camping trip where the point isn't all distance or something. A medium sized canoe is something you could do solo and would fit your partner as well, a duo kayak is a pain solo and solo kayaks don't really do two people well at all.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Watershed drybag, one of the smaller ones. Makes a great day bag and are the best drybags out there.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Don't know where you are but cold weather kayaking is pretty fun with the right gear and can be especially pretty in the winter

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think that's about what it's gonna be, NRS is probably the cheapest option (they usually are) but you might find something else? You could look for a QR sea kayak tow belt or a whitewater reduce belt but those will probably cost the same or more, but other options that do basically the same thing.

I'm also not 100% sure on if leashes are still considered beat practice in moving water or white water, most of the WW SUPers I know don't run them (maybe I don't hang out with those guys that much).

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
What discord is this?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I would be concerned about paint damage on a lease, maybe look into fb groups (especially local whitewater ones) and see if anyone is selling used racks? They pop up regularly out here. Alternatively buy new racks and sell when the car is gone. Double alternative is that the towers are often replaceable for less than the whole setup and new towers might be all you need to get old bars onto new car.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Classic kayak tiedown (whitewater anyways) is boats on the bars (upside down to protect hull from dents) with cam straps up and over and through a tiedown point or similar. Long drives it's not a bad idea (and legally required sometimes) to do bow and Stern tethers to something on the frame of the car, which certainly adds peace of mind if you don't trust your rack.

Careful with ratchet straps, they can get tight enough to damage boats, usually a cam strap is all you need.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm here to preach the gospel of cam straps and roller cams in particular

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
A half or full twist in the straps where they are bridging between boat and rack will usually cut vibrations and wind noise massively, if they run flat they'll vibrate and make noise.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
kayaks are fun

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
4ish, Cooper river in Washington state. None of the rapids are that hard but they're all stacked up in a pretty committed canyon so it feels a little more intense.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

HungryMedusa posted:

Just got back from a 3 day trip canoeing in the Boundary Waters.

Sounds like a wild trip through an amazing area, I've done a lot of kayak camping but no canoe trips and the lakes in the boundary waters look awesome to explore.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You might even be able to get wheels that strap on to the canoe for portaging/transport and turn the canoe into a trailer!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Comfort in kayaks is weird, sometimes wider is better, sometimes narrower is better, sometimes it's knee height and not width, etc. 2hr is pretty good, I find that the only way to make any boat work for very long is to shift my legs around, pop a knee up into the cockpit hope for a bit, flex toes to keep blood moving, etc. Also playing with outfitting, especially hip pads, makes a huge difference in pressure points and legs falling asleep or cramping.

No advice on the boats though, sorry.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Drysuits are expensive but a much better experience than a wetsuit, once you're used to the gaskets it feels like wearing some rain layers but you're warm dry and toasty regardless of the weather. They're expensive but if you buy Immersion Research or Kokatat you should get 5+ years of heavy use out of it. NRS/level 6/palm won't last as long but are a cheaper entry point if you're gonna only use it for a couple days a year.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Develop calluses
Wear paddling gloves - NRS makes a handful. The sun gloves have the thinnest palm and fit the best in my experience, but I don't like gloves for paddling or rowing personally.

Here's something potentially more important: don't grip so tightly. Your lower hand is more of a guide than a source of power, and the paddle should be easy to rotate within it for j strokes or just adjustment. Keep your top hand on the pommel, not down on the shaft. That way you also don't have to grip as hard. Experiment with holding the paddle as loosely as you can while still being able to paddle and maneuver.

Seconding don't grip too hard, if you need a little more purchase you can put some surf wax on the paddle to add some friction on the wet shaft so you can grip looser.

I would assume a grip tape of some kind would make the blisters worse not better but ymmv, there are some grips specifically for paddles you might try.

I dont like gloves personally, I think they're annoying to have between my hands and the paddle shaft.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
One thing to be mindful of is most roof racks have surprisingly low max loads - they're easy to exceed and I've done it a ton with no problems, but something to keep in mind.

I've not done a canoe and roof box but I've done 4 whitewater kayaks and a roof box for a 3 week road trip and our homemade 2x4 rack did fine, and I've done a roof box and 3 kayaks on a normal rack a lot for 1000+ mile trips and haven't had any issues.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Having seen how far back a canoe can shift on a rack, even when strapped well, I'll always have a solid strap from bow to front bumper.

I think I posted about it in here, but a buddy of mine had a canoe peel the whole Yakima rack off his Outback on the highway because there was no bow strap. The canoe never came off the rack, just took it with it.

Yeah this is the danger with the low weight limit on most roof racks, especially with wind loads on large objects like canoes and sea kayaks. The bow and stern straps will help, I've also strapped the rack on through the door frames when doing long bumpy roads with heavy loads up top.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I really hope.you have proper cold weather gear and are ready for it, that's a very very long time in a kayak in cold weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nah right thread for sure, sounds like a sick trip. Where'd you go?