Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Plus if you drown, better odds of resuscitation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
A well-practiced J-stroke is a small pleasure in itself and I am a tiny bit judgemental when I see someone in a canoe with a kayak paddle. Doubly so if they've set the feather at zero, triply so if they're holding the paddle upside down.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Math You posted:

It's okay. I judge people who give me the stink-eye for using a kayak paddle in my canoe. Doubly so if they are tandem paddling, triply so if I see them goon stroking.

I don't think I've heard this term before but I'm guessing it's someone who takes 2 strokes on one side, then 2 strokes on the other side to fix the 30-degree course swing, and yeah they're the worst.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Ah I see. Yeah that's how i initially learned the "J-stroke" and it wasn't for years that I figured out the proper way. It's surprising how much energy you lose doing the pry vs the J. I think that's part of the pleasure I spoke about, it just feels so efficient.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
A really loud whistle is pretty standard safety equipment.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It's like totally clutch dude.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Whichever one it is, it's made out of Royalex, a much sought-after and no longer produced material known for its toughness and durability.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Depending on your budget you can get paddle boards with attachable seats for kayak-style paddling and even pedal drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
In college I once took a bunch of friends whitewater rafting. I rented a boat big enough for 14 people then stuffed 16 people onto it. We made the first run and had plenty of time to do a second one so we hoisted the fully inflated boat onto the roof of my girlfriend's outback (the original small Impreza one, not the current station wagon.) We strapped it down and the result looked loving ridiculous. The tubes of the thing were completely overhanging the roof on all sides so the whole boat drooped over the car like a giant turtle shell or something. From above you couldn't see any car at all. We piled in through the windows and made the shuttle at a no-doubt sensible speed no problem.

Now I'm wondering what the actual limit for a boat on a car, strapped sideyways and front/back is. 18 feet? 20? This will also be useful information for christmas tree shopping.