Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Recommend me a boat post:

Thinking canoe - want to carry my wife and our dog (40lb) plus small cooler and odds-n-ends for river/lake paddles. Priorities would be side to side stability and low weight for hoisting up on top of a Ford Transit Connect (6 foot high roof line). Comfort and maneuverability would be second tier, speed and capability in rough water would be of least concern. Size/type/brand/materials??? Would be a bonus if I could put a little electric motor on it for going upstream and/or days where we just don't want to paddle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

On sawhorses in the yard

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

A friend who works for Thule says that for the portage kit the front and rear straps are literally only so you have a visual to see if something is going wrong up top - they are not "structural" in any way. All the work is done by the straps going over the boat and under the roof bars.

As such, they recommended attaching the front straps to the hood hinge area on either side and running it up through the front of the boat. Tight enough to not fly all over but not so tight that they're bending underhood stuff. Avoids scratching the nose of the car.

I threw a carbineer on the rear strap connected to the trailer hitch chain safety loop so I can loosen it a touch and pop it off when I need in the hatch.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

That's amazing, please report back.