Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any advice for how long of a boat I can put on my Mazda3 hatchback? It's 14.6' with tiedown spots front/rear. My crossbars have 30" spacing between them and I haven't bought a kayak rack yet for the crossbars. I found a pile of very frustrating AI written pages trying to search this, and those were trying to claim 10.5' was the max boat length, but my gut says I can get at least a 14.5' on there without any real issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks! That helps a lot. I'm probably going to take a few months watching craigslist since we're heading into winter here. It helps a lot to have a basic size range to shoot for. I've got a front license plate that mounts to a tie-down bar screwed into the frame and passing through the front bumper so I'm planning to use that for an attachment point.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been checking Seattle craigslist every few days and I've noticed a ton of 16' and larger kayaks that aren't selling, a decent number of 10.5's that seem to come and go within a few days, and just about nothing in the 12-14' range. I assumed that was the most popular category, but maybe people tend to keep those once they get them? Or they get bought up pretty quick? I've got several months before spring but its interesting how that middle section seems relatively rare in the used market.