Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

charity rereg posted:

We generally travel light and I feel people treat canoe trips like car camping & make themselves needlessly miserable.

But what if I want to bring a ton of beer and a good chair on my camping trip and there's no portage? I'm the opposite of miserable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

charity rereg posted:

I don't actually know what "no portage" means but it sounds fun :v: But yes then go nuts and sink the boats with booze IMO

Oh I think it's a Canadian term. It's basically when you have to carry your canoe over land for a bit to get from one lake/river to another. If your camping trip involves a portage then you have to pack a lot lighter.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

charity rereg posted:

I meant the opposite, I've never in my life not had massive portages, I mostly canoe in the adirondacks and northeast. We did an uphill 7.5 mile historic portage called the "grand portage" in Quebec. I portaged across an international land border, through a few miles of muck in the heat of mosquito & fly season. We built our own cart out of lumber and pieces of an old golf club carrying cart and wheels from a knee cart. It disassembled and laid flat in the boat, it owned. :)

In fact I am very likely going to get this as a tattoo at some point, but a variant w/ 2 people carrying that you see all over the trail too

Ohhh my bad

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I've been doing the "pry" stroke because I find the proper J stroke hurts my wrist. I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Anyway I did a bunch of canoe/kayak camping trips this year because the pandemic basically cuts off most other forms of vacation. Three canoe trips to Algonquin park (Joe lake, Parkside bay, Pen Lake/Galeairy Lake), and two kayak trips in Thousand Islands.

Last weekend (Pen/Galeairy) involved a 1680m portage and the guy renting the canoes cheaped out and got the heavier ones :mad:. That was not fun, but the rest of the weekend was great, saw a bald eagle on Pen lake.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 21, 2021