Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Speaking of buying a kayak....how do you do it right now?

Like, everywhere is sold out, sun dolphin went out of business I thought, and from what little I've read the plastics come from overseas so even the US manufacturers arent making much right now.

I've been wanting to buy one, but literally can't find any in stock that arent 1. over $1k, 2. Lifetime walmart specials, or 3. Those fold-able or inflatable ones.

it suckssss

It's rough, I'm trying to buy an Ascend H10 or H12 for a nice stable flat water and slow river boat right now, and nobody in the world seems to have one because of production and delivery delays. Should have jumped on it in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ur in my world now posted:

I want to go kayaking despite it being 100 degrees outside but my local river is down to like 3 ft of water and I'm too lazy to drive out to a lake. I keep hoping for the summer thunderstorm season to start but it's been pretty dry so far

Three feet's fine. You can float a kayak in a foot.

Get to it. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Oh I think it's a Canadian term. It's basically when you have to carry your canoe over land for a bit to get from one lake/river to another. If your camping trip involves a portage then you have to pack a lot lighter.

One of my constant enemies, as there are still a ton of low head dams on the rivers here, so it's portage every few miles or die. Dragging a pack and a rotomolded kayak up some of the 'takeouts' when the river's low is murder.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

Fat guy here, look at the NuCanoe Frontier 12 posted above.
https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

If you want something a little smaller and a lot cheaper, I just picked up an Ascend H10. Kinda hybrid, seats like a regular kayak but big open cockpit more canoe style so if you're absurdly tall like I am getting in and out is more reasonable. Floats up to 400lbs.

You have to keep checking at odd hours because BassPro's weird about when they add stock, but I got it for $650 shipped to my nearest store for pickup for free.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-h10-sit-in-hybrid-kayak-titanium

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 4, 2021

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

PFD, a high quality one
Fox 40 whistle, always accessible on the PFD
headlamp
25' of strong line, like paracord, 1/2-1" webbing, plus a couple carabiners
throw bag
if in a kayak or bucket boat, a big sponge or bailer

That's my minimum for any boat I'm in/on. The bigger/heavier the boat, the stronger and longer the line.
What kind of paddling are you going to be doing?

Exactly this. Big sponge over bailer unless you're going to be in surf, because kayaks are a bitch to actually bail and don't generally fill up much on flat water.