Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Got out for a little time on the water after work yesterday and finally it was windy enough to actually use the sail. It worked well enough for us to paddle around upwind and sail back to the dock when we were done. Not bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

VideoGameVet posted:

Employer is moving the corporate apartment I currently stay at during the week, to a place that is on the water and has paddle boards and kayaks.

Fuckin-A

uh what's your job

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So my recent trip to Hawaii put the kayaking bug in me, and I want to pick one up. I'm looking for a single-person, sit-on-top. What's the opinions on inflatable vs hard kayaks? I'd rather have a hard kayak as I've heard they have more maneuverability + speed, but I'm wondering if I should stick with something less expensive since I'm a beginner (and it'd be easier to transport, obviously). I'd only be using it on calm waters (San Diego, on the bay and in nearby lakes).

I've been browsing the local Craigslist, but so far it seems like anything that's a decent deal gets snapped up quick. So if I do go with inflatable, I was thinking of just getting the cheapest one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Challe...24397184&sr=8-4 but I'll wait to see what people in this thread say first.

Edit: now to throw a wrench in the works - I have shoulder tendonitis. Should I look at stand up paddleboards instead, since that's more of a full body workout, and I can change positions?

There's an inflatables thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933118

I like mine but they're underperformers compared to hard kayaks. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and have a small car though so anything rigid is a non-starter.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can get an entry level inflatable for roughly the price of one week of that rental for what it's worth. Even if you think it sucks it's not a huge expense to give it a try. I've owned and used a few different inflatable boats and they're pretty good if you're space constrained. They do have performance drawbacks and can be more annoying to care for but they're easier to store and transport. my smaller one fits entirely in a backpack w oars and all it's equipment and is no problem to throw in the trunk of even a small car.

Costco carries an inflatable drop stitch SUP that seems pretty nice. I see a lot of people using them around here

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I'm not gonna say they are just as good, if you want a rigid for home use get a rigid one. full drop stitch inflatables are similar performant to a rigid one but more expensive and harder to keep up/more fragile. if you're got the space and transport ability it's not much of a question. and yes there are kayak sales, they have models that change and go out of style or get replaced like anything else.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

We have an inflatable thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933118&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Salt Fish posted:

I've been checking Seattle craigslist every few days and I've noticed a ton of 16' and larger kayaks that aren't selling, a decent number of 10.5's that seem to come and go within a few days, and just about nothing in the 12-14' range. I assumed that was the most popular category, but maybe people tend to keep those once they get them? Or they get bought up pretty quick? I've got several months before spring but its interesting how that middle section seems relatively rare in the used market.

16'+ is a big rear end kayak that I wouldn't expect to see much outside of sea use so they aren't gonna sell as fast as something more convenient to splash around flat water in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Luvcow posted:

jfc dude lol

do you not believe that's what the average Seattle urbanite is up to?

e: I shouldn't post after wine that post is from 4 months ago :psyduck:

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 24, 2024