Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

spent all weekend on a lake in new hampshire on a bunch of toys so now im trying to decide how to make it happen where i live. i dont have a car but i live a quarter mile from a river.

im pretty new to all this water stuff having done it maybe once or twice a year since i became an adult but never regularly but i got to use a pedal kayak this weekend and im super into it as a professional cyclist. id be fine with a non pedal version too since it seems expensive.

theres a kayak/canoe rental place directly at the closest point of the river to me, which rules. im not at all ready to buy yet, but i can at least try a bunch of models out. i dont see myself hauling it far or throwing it in the ocean, its almost entirely going to be a vehicle for hanging out with a large dog, a friend, or maybe my partner on a pretty calm river.

i have a trailer for one of my bicycles to launch from more adventurous spots, but it will almost entirely live its life being carried/dragged less than a mile. is it going to suck complete rear end always lugging a two person boat even if im riding solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Epitope posted:

Maybe look at an inflatable? There will be compromises vs a rigid boat, but way more transportable without an automobile.

see im worried about inflatables. i do a LOT of biking and I have specifically set up my bikes to be as failure-resistant as possible so i can be hammered at 1am and still fix most of the problems, so relying on an inflatable item is a big ask for me. also i suppose I could hand pump, but it seems like thats gonna be a lot. I have a full rear end garage to store stuff in so im not too worried about space. i mean honestly carrying 50 pounds on my shoulders a half mile seems fine.

is sit in/on top a taste thing or is it super significant? i'm not a fisher but i love stability and i will be hopefully taking my large dog with me and it looks like the fisher kayaks would be more platform for pup to hang on

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah the wild thing about my bike trailer is its already like 8' and would need very few adjustments to take a canoe or kayak. I figure throwing a thick yoga mat on it for shock absorption would probably be the only thing I'd have to add. i didn't even think about throwing the bike+trailer on board tho that's genius. I would for sure need a different trailer though. sounds like a fun scheme.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

my new place is a ten minute walk from a kayak rental joint so im getting a membership. they have solo and tandem canoes and kayaks and whatever the gently caress an outrigger is. i fell in love with the pedal kayak i used last summer but theyre $$$$ and in the mean time id like to level up my watercraft skills

place opens at 8am and i have plenty of morning availability. are there drills or exercises i should be doing to improve my skillset? i only came to tiny boats last year after not touching them since i was a kid. im self teaching so how do i figure out bad habits?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

boston is extremely ocean, yes.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im assuming the logistics of a kayak mean i need to buy locally, but besides craigslist/fb marketplace and rei, who else has a good selection?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Luvcow posted:

I think you're a Bostonian so I'd recommend billington sea kayak in Plymouth. They're great and they let you test the boats out on site

http://billingtonseakayak.com

though it's worth checking with places that rent them out because sometimes they sell their old boats to make room for newer ones

sick. yeah im looking to eventually track down a used pedal kayak but i know thatll be an all season trawl.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like paddling is cool and all but not paddling at all is also cool+good and as a pro cyclist its basically free propulsion for me.

i got a long road to there so this whole summer i wanna work on my paddling skills

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im actually stoked to figure out how to tow a kayak on my bicycle

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Luvcow posted:

if you're ever on the south shore on a Friday or Saturday I can show around the tidal rivers and ponds here, kayaking is what I live through the winter for

i might hit you up later in the summer once i level up from “rear end in a top hat on a boat”

like my summer goal is to get good enough to take an ocean kayaking class. because that poo poo sounds fun

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

went out on the kayak and ran into a dragon boat festival. oops.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

somebody gave me this 16’ fiberglass canoe for free today. i live a quarter mile from a cool river and i had a membership at the kayak/canoe rental place last year but this means now i can do some sunrise canoeing instead of having to wait till 10:30a to do it. no hull damage, barely any scratches

so where should i get stuff to trick this bb out? last time i was in here people recommended the nrs ninja pfds so i was gonna grab those but what kinda dumb poo poo can i slap onto this? i was gonna get a lil cart to help pull it down to the river. what about storage? i wanna be able to throw a rack of beers in and a fishing rod or two. do they make lil clampons for the rails so i can have a spot to stow the paddles and poo poo?

also paddles: i think i only have rei locally. i dont need nice poo poo, this is “drink/smoke weed on the river” vessel but is it worth getting wooden paddles?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah my friend has crazy carbon offset paddles that whip but i dont think i need expensive paddles yet. as for tricking it out you mostly covered it. im mostly scheming about adding lights for night cruising like a comical amount so i dont get murdered by drunks in speedboats and how to fly a small flag because i think it would be cute and funny

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

this is ABSOLUTELY a dirtbag boat. i dont have a car so this boat is going to pretty much only go in this urban river. which is why im going hard on being loud and visible. i wouldnt be this much of a menace if i was doing like serious boating.

really this is just the next step in my plan. i spent last year fuckin with lots of rental gear trying to see what i liked. ill gear up this year. the golden goose is figuring out how to transport a canoe or kayak by bike in such a way that i can ride to a launch, set the craft, load bike and cart, and then gently caress off. hauling big loads by bike is my bread and butter so its just a matter of the right trailer setup.

i looked at folding and inflatable but they both seem car centric and more annoying than just pulling a regular fullsize. and honestly i want a pedal kayak because that makes movement effectively free for me, the professional cyclist.

but thats later. for now i just want to gear up the party canoe enough to night cruise

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

honestly i was gonna see how much it would suck to affix some led strips to the gunwales. retroreflective is a good call tho.

but also for balance

this is about the aesthetic of my land vehicles:

is it tacky af? absolutely. but this is exactly the level of visibility im gunning for at night on this urban river. i wasnt kidding about being A loving Menace but also i would never do this tacky poo poo in the actual wilds which is why im also trying to make everything easily strippable in the event of Actually Going In The Woods.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

this is so extremely my poo poo. thanks for posting that! i always tell people who bike to go on their favorite path at like 8-9p with lights and go rip 40mi in the dark because a) its awesome and b) these paths become personal highways after dark more or less because nobody’s on them. im hoping night canoeing will feel similar

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also i would take this more seriously if i was actually through canoeing the cuyahoga or something but im not so im in beer barge mode. the person giving me the canoe knows my propensity to get up to dumb poo poo and was really excited to see what id do to a watercraft.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

wesleywillis posted:

Not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you may want to find out if Canoeing and drinking is legal where you are.
Canoeing while drunk can be dangerous. Canoeing while having a beer? Eh, I'm not going to say poo poo. But around here (Ontario) the cops can suspend your driver's license for that poo poo. If you ain't got a car (as you mentioned) or a driver's license, then maybe that doesn't matter, but they can probably still give you fines and poo poo.

Actually, I think if you get a DUI (while driving) here you can't operate a boat either.

no totally. im less boozy than i sound. im not really in the habit of getting shithammered. weed’s more my thing anyways. i can blast a sixer and some spliffs on a 50 mile bike ride easily but i think i only get two beers on a boat. my drinking/smoking goal as an adult is to never be somebody else’s problem and ive been pretty successful at it so far!!

of course i dont condone intoxicated operation of vehicles, etc. but that being said thats why im going extra hard on lighting and visibility poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

finally got it to my house and it floats great. we bootlegged a cart together and went down to the river for a quick lil rainy jaunt and it was perfect. i have some extra paddles on loan, we’re on our way boys. i got the safety lights to bolt on, im now trying to figure out the cosmetic lights. and we’ll be in business.

edit: my cat pims passed last sunday so i figured he was a perfect namesake for boston’s first french naval reconnaissance canoe

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 5, 2023