Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Finally, the return of the kayak thread. Mods are asleep, post small boats

I've got a Perception Tribe SOT and a Perception Rhythm sit inside that have served me well for the last few years but I've been mulling over buying a pedal drive. Mostly because I am extraordinarily lazy but also I've got some shoulder and back problems that make paddling a chore sometimes. I'm assuming that Hobie is still the gold standard for pedal drives but I'm wondering if any of the other manufacturers are starting to catch up. I know Perception started making a pedal drive a few years back but it seemed to be pretty widely panned. Has anyone managed to close the gap with Hobie or are they still just absolutely killing the competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
The Intex Challenger / Explorer are a great way to get into kayaking on the cheap. I've got a couple of them that I keep on hand for guests with some cheap but decent Sea Sense paddles and a few life vests I've picked up from Dick's summer BOGO deals. Like the whole kit would maybe cost you $130 bucks if you timed everything right and you can take them pretty much anywhere. Highly suggest giving it a look for anyone interested in kayaking.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I want to go kayaking despite it being 100 degrees outside but my local river is down to like 3 ft of water and I'm too lazy to drive out to a lake. I keep hoping for the summer thunderstorm season to start but it's been pretty dry so far

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Liquid Communism posted:

Three feet's fine. You can float a kayak in a foot.

Get to it. :v:

Sure, it's enough for the kayak but you also have less room to "share" (aka try not to get run over) with the jet skiers, fishers in jon boats and rec boaters. It gets tiring dodging the drunks on sea doos at low water. :smith:

Good news is that the monsoon season arrived and the rivers are replenished. Now I've just gotta find a little time in between thunderstorms to sneak in some yak time.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Is Vibe still doing the cyan and black camo job on their kayaks? Because I almost got a Vibe Skipjack last year solely from how good that looked.:blush:

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I've had an NRS Vapor, Ion and Zen and have been satisfied with all of them but since I've been doing nothing but flat water lately I usually just go the lazy route and grab my wake vest. I'd suggest the Zen if you can get it on sale. I got mine for about $120 a few years ago

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
a cooler full of beer and a camelbak for water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
i have a 5 mm wetsuit that I use when I want to paddle board in january. it works pretty good in combination with some neoprene gloves and boots. that and my wake vest keeps me toasty even in a lovely missouri winter. not bad for using the sit on top kayak in the middle of winter either. it kind of owns to listlessly float around the river in the snow and drink beer.