Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

evil_bunnY posted:

yeah, and turbo is literally unusable at low speeds. It'll yeet the bike forward if you even look at the pedal.

I'm curious, do you start off in your lowest gear on Turbo? I start midway up in my gear range when I'm in turbo. I just don't need the lowest gears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i only use 4/4 if i’m uphill in a headwind with 2 kids on the back. For anything else 2/4 feels about right.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

battery not pictured (it's charging)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's a drat fine bike! drat fine bike.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
next time i promise to post a pic of it actually outdoors!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We'd love to see pictures of you riding it indoors even more!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Love new bike day.

I can't get over the top tube not meeting the top arms of the rear triangle though

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

battery not pictured (it's charging)
hey a friend of mine bought basically the same thing. Seemed p good!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Well I've been cruising reviews and checking out specs for a few weeks trying to learn what I can about these gizmos. If anyone has thoughts or their own experiences to share that speak to these questions, would love to hear!

Just about everything that has caught my eye for mid-drive fat tire bikes look to be in the $2100-2600 range or thereabouts, and that feels like a comfortable price range to me for an entry bike. Most of these seem to have similar features, but right now I think these are my frontrunners:

First is the Bolton Foxbat, which Rocko Bonaparte seems to be happy with?
https://boltonebikes.com/collections/fat-electric-bikes/products/1-000-watt-mid-drive-fat-bike
1000w is probably more juice than I need, but I'm obviously not gonna turn my nose up at that. Vroom!
I almost feel like I could get away with a hub drive if I had to, but I'm pretty sure I want to hold out for a mid-drive motor like this one. I have to claw my way up my hill every single day, and even though it's a relatively short climb, it's a healthy grade, so I think I'll appreciate the extra torque over the long term. As I start to range out and explore more with my shiny new ebike, I will also start running into more grueling climbs on hilly, mountainous roads, so mid-drive probably gives me a lot more freedom in my area. Seems like a no-brainer for me.
This one's got a 7 gear shifter, which seems to be pretty common, though I've seen a few 8's and 10's out there. I worry that I'll miss the flexibility giving up 27 gears on my current mtb, but honestly I pretty much only ever use like, 4 or 5 of any of the gears, and I doubt I'll miss the flexibility all that much when I have the motor behind me to power up hills, or open it up on straightaways and just zoom.
Torque sensor would be a nice bonus but I have a hard time imagining a situation where I NEED it, especially since there's a throttle to get me started if I'm scaling everest or something and having trouble pedaling. Torque sensor would probably also make for smoother riding generally when changing speeds, but I'm not seeing cadence sensors as a dealbreaker.

Also eyeing the Biktrix Juggernaut https://www.biktrix.com/pages/juggernaut-classic-details
Seems pretty comparable to the Foxbat, but a little less motor which saves me a couple bucks. I think 750w is probably still plenty for a primarily commuter bike.
I am a little bit leery of the recommended weight, which is given as 330, because frankly I'm pushing 300 and when I add in a backpack full of groceries or any cargo it starts to look pretty close. The Foxbat rates itself at 375, which makes me feel more comfortable. I imagine these weight ratings are probably more like guidelines, but this is going to be a purchase I use every day, and I'd like to make sure when I get one it'll last, so I really don't want to go around regularly straining the capacity.
I could also go for their slightly beefier model, which holds itself out at 400lbs: https://www.biktrix.com/pages/juggernaut-classic-hd-details
With that one though, I start wondering if I can get away with just a rigid fork with the slightly-fatter tires (4.8 inches). I feel like I would want to pay a little more for the suspension. Most of the time I'm probably fine with just the tires to eat the vibration of the crummy beat-up pavement and cobbles around here, but when the snow gets churned up and then frozen into all kinds of hosed up channels and ridges, I worry that even with fat tires I'll be getting bounced around. Would also like the option to do some rougher riding on trails or off road, since there's a lot of farmland around outside my immediate neighborhood.

I've seen a handful of other models and makes that look very similar in terms of features in this price range, but so far these two have had very nice presentation and comprehensive info online, which makes me more confident buying from them. It's pretty much all predicated on if they ship overseas, though - I have some emails in and they're looking into logistics.

If shipping costs turn out to be prohibitive or no one can manage to get it to me, my last resort will be to spin the cylinder on Chinese Roulette. For about half the price, I can get almost the features I want, and some of the parts are even brand name! :v:
Obviously not ideal, but these guys look like they have their act more or less together? Going back to discontinued models I can see they've iterated several times on their bikes and it looks like they've improved it every time, plus they have a sustained web presence, including a few years worth of youtube, instead of some fly-by-night amazon storefront. It might also be all smoke and mirrors, but I guess that's the fun of it!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

First is the Bolton Foxbat, which Rocko Bonaparte seems to be happy with?

Also eyeing the Biktrix Juggernaut https://www.biktrix.com/pages/juggernaut-classic-details
Seems pretty comparable to the Foxbat, but a little less motor which saves me a couple bucks. I think 750w is probably still plenty for a primarily commuter bike.

For what it's worth, 750W is, um, more legal. Regarding suspension stuff, I can say the Foxbat with the fat tires can ride over mowed grass on the side of the road just fine without using the front suspension. It gets uglier when I start to go on those dirt paths that have been plowed into the ground with all the exposed rocks. An issue there with going too fast there is the turning radius of that bike is pretty big. It's a large bike and the tires make it larger.

Regarding the 1000W, yes, it helps greatly on hills. It hasn't directly made me a speed demon. I do most of my riding with level assist 3 out of the maximum of 5, and the display is implying that's normally a little over 500W. I might change out the front sprocket because I tend not to use the first gear even when I have stuff loaded up and I have an excessive battery capacity.

Also, I bought the Foxbat with two 21Ah batteries instead of the stock configuration.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Anything over 250 is already technically a scooter here, so I figure in for a yenny in for a pound :japan:

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 8, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just get some "250W class 1" stickers.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just had a day of the battery running dry away from home

don't, uh, don't let your batteries run dry away from home especially if your bike doesn't actually have any gears :cry:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Did it have a bad drain or did it underreport range?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was pulling a trailer and on fairly hilly route, so I was running it hard - and I don't have the computer, just 0-5 pips for battery remaining. Probably would have been fine if I'd plugged it in last night instead of this morning, I probably wasn't starting from full. Derp :shrug:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You shouldn't let your battery run below 20%, it will shorten your battery life span a lot.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You shouldn't let your battery run below 20%, it will shorten your battery life span a lot.

What could be more fun than min maxing battery capacity? You can even treat yourself to a fancy charger! https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/cycle-satiator.html

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 9, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(e) your url captured the dot at the end up there , DaC ^^

stephenthinkpad posted:

I know, believe me I'm annoyed. ADHD is a complete loving arse at times :mad:

well, such is life i guess. at least now I know it's not impossible to move - just bloody hard work

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

(e) your url captured the dot at the end up there , DaC ^^

I know, believe me I'm annoyed. ADHD is a complete loving arse at times :mad:

well, such is life i guess. at least now I know it's not impossible to move - just bloody hard work

Fixed. Best practices as far as battery care are good to know but I wouldn't worry about not following them perfectly. At least I don't with my laptop/car and won't when my bike arrives.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 9, 2020

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The good:

26 mile ride on Saturday, across the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. It turns out: there's nothing on the Jersey side (ok Henry Hudson Drive is nice and I want to explore it further when it's cooler.).

The bad:
My shifter went out of adjustment on the ride home, and I lost 5th gear. I had to jump from 4th to 6th until I got into a neighborhood where I could readjust it. Annoying, but not the end of the world. My pedals, on the other hand, have these traction studs on them that have absolutely torn up my legs.

Then this morning I went to REI to get new pedals (they didn't have any without the studs), an inner tube, and a multi tool. On the way back , literally while I was in my building's elevator, I heard my rear tire deflating. I haven't torn into it yet, but I'm annoyed that I gotta dismount the rear wheel again.

Gorgeous shot!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

you just had a flat tire recently on the same wheel yeah? this probably isn't your problem but just in case it is, i'm gonna post. i had persistent flat issues on one wheel on my other bike, went through several tubes, never could figure out what was puncturing the thing. turns out, part of my rim tape had somehow slipped to the side, and one of the spoke holes was exposed, so the high pressure inner tube was pinching itself inside that little hole and eventually blowing out. so if you don't see any other cause of the flat, check your rim tape!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, that's a possibility I'm considering. There was also a car with its window busted out right in front of my building, so it's possible I ran over a chunk of glass.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

pro tip: always find and address the source of the flat before replacing the tube. Be mindful of the alignment of the tire (and maybe mark it with a sharpie) when taking it off so you can line up the puncture with the corresponding spot on the tire.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

My pedals, on the other hand, have these traction studs on them that have absolutely torn up my legs.

Then this morning I went to REI to get new pedals (they didn't have any without the studs)

Sometimes the pins are removable. If you get plastic pedals with molded pins, you could also file them down some.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Anything over 250 is already technically a scooter here, so I figure in for a yenny in for a pound :japan:
:ssh: Ebikes in places without strict regulation advertise peak power consumption instead of nominal power output :ssh:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Good advice:
https://twitter.com/SimonCowell/status/1292629837790601216

Loose QR? stem?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Safety Dance posted:

My pedals, on the other hand, have these traction studs on them that have absolutely torn up my legs.

Were you just falling off the pedals riding around town?

All things equal pedals with good studs keep your feet on them and are much safer than cheap pedals.

Really good pedals
Pretty good pedals (this is what Kimbo is basically suggesting)
Really cheap pedals

Sounds like you want the last version but they will provide the least amount of grip, especially when wet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was gonna say loose... whatever the bracket's called that attaches the handlebars to the wheel. I found that I'd under-tighten mine and eventually it'd pull up suddenly when I turn. Good thing I was in anxious testing-my-work mode :v:

Condolences to Cowell tho, my disc hernia was one of the worst things I've ever experienced in my life; I gotta imagine an injury like that being way worse :sympathy:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 10, 2020

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone have any experience riding e-bikes on fairly major roads? i want to get one for my ride to work (my farm is about 11 miles from my house), and about three of those miles are on a pretty busy road in new jersey, but uh new jersey drivers aren't the most 'chill' people on the planet and i'm a little worried. or do you think taking back roads would be less safe than major ones?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can you post a sample stretch of the road? Essentially you'll be in a lane of car traffic? What's the normal driving speed of the road?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Look at the Strava heat map and see which roads are more traveled by other cyclists. It can be a good hint about what routes are preferable.

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/-120.90000/38.36000/hot/all

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It depends on how visible your bike is and how fast the cars are going. I suggest you take both routes and decide later. Also get reflective vest and large blinking rear lights.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Can you post a sample stretch of the road? Essentially you'll be in a lane of car traffic? What's the normal driving speed of the road?

this is the route (please do not doxx my farm we have nothing of value)

https://tinyurl.com/yy4kye53

my options are basically taking US 130 (the major road) for like 20 pct of the trip or 80 pct. there's a pretty good sized shoulder, but according to that heatmap it looks like no one really rides the stretch i was worried about (i would have to merge across two lanes of non-yielding traffic)

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

my options are basically taking US 130 (the major road) for like 20 pct of the trip or 80 pct. there's a pretty good sized shoulder, but according to that heatmap it looks like no one really rides the stretch i was worried about (i would have to merge across two lanes of non-yielding traffic)

I'm a pretty experienced and confident commuter but drat your options look super lovely. That sucks.

The only option I see that would get you able to totally avoid US 130 puts you on a bunch of back roads with literally no shoulder, which are likely super unsafe at commute hours, especially in the dark in the winter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

What about something like this?
https://goo.gl/maps/LAxJ1wAYntqZ3WJ57

It's only a mile longer than your original route, and it avoids a lot of stress I think. Most of Route 130 looks pretty gnar, and I wanted to avoid the weird U-Turn the Old York Road route made you do. I hate to suggest commuting when you don't need to go into work, but it might be a good idea to try it out on a weekend. Imagine twice the traffic, and if you feel uncomfortable you can always turn around and rethink your route without having to call in.

spwrozek posted:

Were you just falling off the pedals riding around town?

All things equal pedals with good studs keep your feet on them and are much safer than cheap pedals.

Really good pedals
Pretty good pedals (this is what Kimbo is basically suggesting)
Really cheap pedals

Sounds like you want the last version but they will provide the least amount of grip, especially when wet.

Yeah, the original pedals that came with my bike were awful. If my foot was the slightest bit wet, it would slip off. Eventually the little rubber nubs wore down and my feet would slip off when dry. It sucked.

My current pedals are really similar to the OneUp pedals you posted. They feel awesome and my feet stick like velcro. I have a tendency to kick my pedals around with my shins to get them lined up at stoplights and whatnot, and these are my legs after about 50 miles over the last two weeks:

cw: light gore

I'm going to pull the studs out and see how they feel, but I think I'll wind up just getting the Race Faces you posted.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
thanks for taking a look, everyone. i'll try a route this Sunday on my regular bike and see how it seems, or if it's dodgy, if it seems like it would be more manageable if i was moving at a better clip.

the real reason I've never tried a bike commute is because my day usually starts at 5 or 6 and goes until about 5 or 6, so the idea of tacking an extra hour on at.boths has never felt really appealing, even if I wanted the exercise and environmentally feel like i 'should' do it

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Safety Dance posted:

I'm going to pull the studs out and see how they feel, but I think I'll wind up just getting the Race Faces you posted.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. You should get pretty good grip without the stabbing of pins on those Race Face ones.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

How much of the year are the shoulders on the roads near your house plowed snowbanks and/or that black, salted sand-mush? I don't know what I might say differently depending on that but it might be some motivation to go with a fat bike or generally just something that can put up with poor road conditions.

I've found at least in Texas that I got much better treatment on a more major road if I could fit comfortably on the shoulder than if I had to be in the way on the most minor of roads. Being in the way means everything they're feeling in that car at that moment is all your fault.

I'm slowly building up more bike riding experiences, and so far the worst is literally right outside my house. It's a 55mph road that doesn't have a shoulder. I usually just take the grass. I only need to be on it for about a hundred yards, but I'm the loving Antichrist when I do.

This is all countered with being on major commercial roads with a lot of entrances and exits. In that case, the problem is they don't care about you. That is, they don't even know you're there when they pull into you or out in front of you. In that case, I'd rather have somebody leaning their horn on me because at least I know they saw me.

Note that these situations are not that common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LMAO get hosed simon