Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
My fiance and I just got Aventon Pace 500s last month and love them. I live in a very bike friendly city so it's largely replaced my car.

There's was some discussion of car racks a few pages back, are there any specific recommendations for something that can handle a pair of 60lb bikes? Would it be safe to use a 4-bike rack as long as the rack's total capacity exceeds the bikes' weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Do torque sensors offer any material benefits over Cadence sensors if I don't have any specific issues with the latter?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I've had the Aventure 2 for about a month now, and I love it to bits. I don't have a functioning car at the moment and I commute with it daily.

It's my first torque sensor bike, and while I think those aren't the gamechanger they're hyped to be, they are very nice. I basically never change the gear or assist levels because it's so adaptable. And for how big the tires are, it handles much better than I expected. It's certainly not as nimble as the Pace 500.2 I had before, but it's still plenty responsive. Plus I get to roll right over anything in my path and feel like I'm in a monster truck. :buddy:

The rack really sucks though, it has beveled rails and is really more of a frame that has too much emptry space to secure much to it. As luck would have it my old Topeak rack fit just fine on the Aventure, so that was an easy fix.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Try not to charge them to 100% or discharge them to zero. REALLY try to not charge them below 15C.

Is that for general use, or only prior to long term storage? All of the Aventon manuals say to charge your battery to full after every single ride.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Invalido posted:

Both. Unless Aventon supplies a charger that cuts off before what is actually fully charged battery cells that is real lovely advice. Only charge fully if you actually need the juice. Charge early, charge often, but don't charge fully is the gist of it. And manage temperatures as best you can.

Makes sense, thanks. :) My bike lives in my apartment so temps shouldn't be a concern.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I put 450 miles on my Pace 500.2 before trading it in for an aventure 2. It was a really fantastic bike and if I didn't need something that can handle heavy snow I'd probably still have it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they only have the slightly more expensive Pace 500.3 but they only charge 100 dollars to put it together.

Okay my next question who do I go with for bike insurance because State Farm offered me a personal articles plan but it doesn't cover ebikes.

Anyone have any thoughts on Oyster?

Weird, my fiance got hers covered through state farm.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

The rear rim on my fiance's Aventon Abound is bent and keeps breaking spokes. We're having a really hard time finding a compatible replacement, can anyone recommend one?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

My fiance has one. We had to RMA the rear wheel because spokes ketp breaking, but it's worked great since then.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I just hit 1350 miles on my Aventure 2 and it's showing no signs of stopping. It owns, ebikes own.

Aventon put out a new model recently, it's apparently a midshaft drive, waterproof e-mountain bike. Really hoping this is the start of mid drives becoming more common at lower price points because I want one on my next bike.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

It's crazy how quickly you can rack up the miles on a e-bike, my HSD is at 3,700 miles and is about 1.5 years old!

Yeah, I live in a very bike friendly city and haven't had to touch a car in over a year. My work commute is really short but going it daily does add up.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

The Pace is a little lighter and a great all around bike if you mostly ride on pavement, but iirc it's still 50lbs or so. It's hard to get much lighter than that with an Ebike.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I know we were just talking about weight but kryptonite chains are really nice and having an ebike motor removes the lock's weight downside when riding. I use an evolution with mine, the anti theft policy would cover the pace's value anywhere except if parked in nyc.

If i were buying a lock again I'd probably spring for the extra $40 or so for their chain that is nyc-rated just for the extra peace of mind since i don't live in the best part of a city, but the main point to remember is that as long as things go right that lock will last well over a decade

That's what I went with. It can loop around itself so you can tether the bike to a post without needing to be right next to it. Well worth having to grapple with a 15lb lock and chain

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Mostly I just want a mid-shaft drive because change a wheel with a hub motor on it is a bitch and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, it sucks but I’ve only had to do it once in 20-months of commuting.

Why are you changing wheels? My theory is my hub motors are heavy so no point and saving grams on the tries, just run something bulletproof.

Well, tires specifically. I don't have a car so I have to use studded tires during the winter.