Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I've had my eye on a long tail cargo bike. At the moment I have a Lectric XP 1.0 and a large dog trailer that I also use for cargo. I would like to have the same capacity for hauling stuff and the dog without having to faff around with a trailer and a higher torque motor really meant for this job.

What I would like to build is a sort of bike pickup truck with a platform that can hold a large plastic tub securely on the back or a bunch of bags held down with a cargo net. I'm trying to find examples of people doing this, but I only see it on the front loader type cargo bikes and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that. Does it make the center of gravity too high? Is the back rack too narrow and can't handle that wide of a load?

Edit: by large plastic tub I mean the 27 gallon tubs they sell at Costco.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

evil_bunnY posted:

This for sure. Our frontloader feels better to ride the more you load it up. Our longtail feels much, much worse if you load up the deck. The easy solution is gigantic panniers, which all good longtails can be equipped with.

Unfortunately I can't chop my dog in half and evenly distribute her into panniers.

It would be nice if there was any sort of decent front loader in the US that wasn't a billion dollars.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I really wish a company like Lectric or Aventon would take a crack at a cheap mass produced front loader bike. I don't think my dog being on the back of a longtail would be a problem though. She weighs less than a lot of kids I see being hauled around (55-60lbs) she is just long and lanky and can't fit in a small front basket

She absolutely loves running alongside the bike and it's a beautiful sight to see her at a full extended gallop keeping up with me at 20mph for short sprints. I tow a trailer now, and let her run for part of the trip and ride the rest to keep her from damaging her paws and getting heatstroke. I'd just like a solution that replaces the trailer where my "rig" is a single vehicle I can easily lock up and park like a normal, if large, bike.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

It's more about center of gravity. Keeping the cargo floor below the axles gives more stability with a heavy load, particularly if things shift around in transit.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Boards also provide support for big-rear end panniers if you ever get those. If carrying passengers is anything other than an afterthought go with the boards.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Is there any news of a front loading cargo ebike for the US market that doesn't cost a billion dollars? I want to live that cargo bike life but my dog is too big for a normal front basket or a longtail and I don't want to spend used car money on a bike.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The worst part of being dog sized out of a longtail is she isn't a super huge dog, just 60lbs, which exceeds the front rack load on every mainstream bike.

My ideal cargo bike would have the front rack of the omnium mini where I could put a big dog basket, and the rear rack of a Haul ST or other "Utility" bike where I could put a couple panniers and a milk crate.

At the moment I use a Lectric XP and a trailer, but it's awkward and having to hitch things together and wrangle the trailer makes me not want to use it.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 27, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Huggybear posted:

It's pretty decent for the price. Assuming the bike is actually equipped with hydraulic brakes - the bikes depicted all show mechanical disc brakes.

The main caveat with Chinese e-systems is that they have a higher rate of warranty issues. Worth reading TOS and making sure they have support contact and replacement parts here in North America.

Every new one should have hydraulic brakes. They recently started shipping them that way, and offered them as a free upgrade for people who got one of the first models.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I don't have personal experience but I've done a lot of research and the abound is almost universally considered the best budget cargo bike around. I'm seriously tempted myself but I cannot figure out a way to get my German shepherd comfortably on the back which means I'm stuck trying to find a front loader that doesn't cost a billion dollars in the US.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My understanding is that three kids can technically fit on a long tail, but only a front loader is really designed to hold that many.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I just received my Aventon Abound and man this thing was not made for tall people.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If a milk crate is all you're looking to tote just about any bike with a rear rack should be fine.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The more important questions is what else do you want out of the bike. What form factor would you prefer? Do you want it to do anything special like fold down into a car trunk or go absurdly fast on the throttle?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

As a counterpoint I absolutely hate how a bike, even a fairly powerful ebike feels with a trailer attached and I actually bought a cargo bike to avoid it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Milk crates? Gotta go bigger.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I use a folding lock too and it helps with ebikes that have chonky frames.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

The throttle is also great on days where you just want to zip around on your electric moped because you're hung over or it's crazy hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My abound has everything but front turn signals. I always forget I have turn signals when I ride though.