Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I’ve read through the whole thread and now ready to ask if I’m on the right path here.

I’m in the market for a commuter. I live in DC and try to ride year round. Right now I do it on a Craigslist special, 3-4 days a week. The commute is about 5 miles each way with minor hills, as a mix of bike lanes, trails, and in-traffic riding (some days I’ve opted for a bike share ebike at 10c/minute and loved the ride).

I don’t think I want a step through, since I’ll have to carry the bike up/down a few steps every day (bike weight is not a concern). There’s a chance I’d eventually have to do a commute that’s closer to 10 miles each way, but I have no issue charging the battery in my office if need be.

My budget started at $2,000 but after reading this thread I’m now eyeing the Gazelle Ultimate C380+ HMB which is on sale for $3,999. A LMB has it in stock as well.

Am I thinking about this right? I’ll probably try to test ride it in a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Optimal carrying geometry/posture can vary a lot. For a middrive that's not too rear heavy, you might be able to grab it low down on the seat tube and keep your arm mostly straight.

Fair point, I didn't consider how the weight balance changes by the battery/motor. It won't be a lot of steps so I wasn't planning on putting the top tube on my shoulder, just need two good spots to grab hold for a few seconds.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I dished out for a Litelok that I haven’t actually used yet and otherwise use a chain I can plug into my cafe lock for parking at work (in a secure garage where many of my colleagues don’t lock up their bikes at all).

The Litelok is definitely very hefty but I’m also leaning to just not locking my bike in an area where something like that feels necessary.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Some big deals on overstock and refurbs at Upway.
Beltdrive and Shimano middrive for under $2k:
https://upway.co/products/cero-one-uat91

Is there anything weird about having tires with such different sizing?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Appoda posted:

Oof, that sucks. I had someone misinterpret (or ignore) a hand signal and passed while I was turning off; making me consider getting some bicycle signal lights since I doubt most people around here even know what hand signals mean.

Just point to where you are turning. Much less ambitious.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Oops! I thought you meant the straight arm / bent arm distinction. Hope you didn’t get hurt!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

raggedphoto posted:

I use the proper hand signals for turning but whenever I see a cyclist use the hand down brake signal I am super impressed, I am far too lazy for that.

I recognize that signal but never think to use it myself.

Other than pointing for turns, I’ll take my foot off the pedals to let a car know I’m stopping at a stop sign. It works pretty well.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Hdip posted:

Hold their driver's license while they test ride?

Whole wallet and if you’re feeling put off by them, ask to take off their shoes too.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Plenty of delivery drives on gas mopeds on the trails (and protected bike lanes) around my city :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I splurged for a Litelock that is super hefty, and I got a chain that plugs in the cafe lock too which probably wouldn’t stop someone with any tools but it was like $30 and may discourage someone.