Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I bought a Himiway Cruiser, picked it because it had the longest range in the entry level offerings, though I need to loose about 100 pounds before I can see if it gets anywhere close.

Advertised as 65 mile range max (which I'm guessing is a 120 pound person riding on the lowest power assist on flat ground), I'm getting around 40 on power level 2/5, this must what it's like to ride a regular bike as a fit person, it's amazing.

I can't stop riding this thing, put about 200 miles on it already, which I think more miles than I've ridden in the past 15 years combined. I was dumb though and didnt realize going from a couch potato to a bike should be taken a little cautiously and I pulled my hamstring so I'm taking it easy and just staring at it in my living room while I heal up, all I want to do it ride it more.

*Next thing to kick are those cigarettes sticking out.

I bought it for when I move into a travel trailer in couple months to check out the surrounding areas of places I'm traveling to. Super comfortable on roads and decently graded forest roads, wouldnt take it on any mountain bike trails though.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

How quickly does it charge, and how often will you be at camping sites with electrical?

For some reason they sent a bike with a 840Wh battery along with a 100W charger, so it takes over 8 hours. I'm thinking about trying to find a 54.6v 4a charger to cut the time down in half.

I'll be with electricity 100% of the time, setting up the trailer to be mostly boondocking so a large battery bank and solar + generator, hoping I can get in a rhythm where I drain the battery during the day, charge it up over night and then run the generator for a bit to make up for that battery taking up 1/3 of my total Wh storage.

Can anyone tell me if mid drive motors are easier to pedal with a dead battery than a hub motor? This fat bike feels like I have a flat when I have no pedal assist, and takes a bunch of work to keep it going, spinning the rear wheel freely I can see a ton of resistance the motor creates, wondering if mid drive motors can disengage?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

If your hub motor is geared hub instead of direct drive it shouldn't have that much resistance. How heavy is your bike?

Edit, I took a look at the spec, it has about the same spec as every other ebikes in the $1500 range, but with a 20% bigger battery. Don't think there is much to complain about.

Maybe you can increase the range with 2" tires, I don't know whether it can be done.

Yeah I'm not too worried about it, 40 miles is great for me, and I figure the range will only go up as my waist size goes down.

Leg was feeling better today so I went out for a ride, it was good and fun.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Man thats awesome, I didn't even think about ebikes use for the disabled.

Is there really a stigma against people riding ebikes? Thats one of the most eye-rolling, gatekeeping things i've ever heard.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Just pulled the trigger on a Luna Z1

Seemed to be in the sweet spot of good hardware and not spending 15k

https://lunacycle.com/z-1-enduro-ebike/

Now to constantly refresh my inbox.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I think some stronger chain is in my future ahah. Hopefully it’s enough to get my fat rear end up some hills

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Got my Luna z1. Having a torque sensor is so nice, feels like I have superman legs rather than being assisted by a motor.

Forgot to buy a shock pump so I haven’t set the sag yet, but it’s already tons of fun just around the neighborhood

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Sorry, I'm a big dumb newbie and dunno what drive train is specifically referencing.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Now I know how my dad feels when I have to teach him tech stuff.

Ridden about 40 miles on the bike so far, padded bike shorts were a life saver. I think I have my bike set up as well as I can alone, I need to go to a shop and have them help me out, I could ride about an hour an a half but the last 20 minutes of that the saddle became an issue. I think 95% of the pain is just being real out of shape with no core strength, so my arms take a lot of pressure, so hopefully that just gets less and less, even with the uncomfort this bike is amazing, and I haven't even taken it on anything other than a graded dirt road yet.

To anyone looking to buy a bike, if you can swing the price increase, get a torque sensor based bike, I feel like I put in way more effort over a ride to keep the bike going at speed as opposed to my cadence sensor on my cruiser, my heat rate is much higher riding this bike. Makes you feel like you have superman legs.

Edit: lol just realized that first picture is the brakes. I cant find any markings other than the sram logo but the derailer looks like this https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/rd-sx-1-b1

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 25, 2022

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Shifts nice and clean, think I'll focus on losing the 50lbs i put on in the last 2 years before I buy any lighter parts :)

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

E-bikes r cool

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Bought the least ebike lookin' ebike I could find. Ride1up Roadster gravel edition

https://ride1up.com/product/roadster-v2-gravel-roadster/

I recently moved into a place thats right next to the bike path that spans the entire city and beyond (Boise Greenbelt, its so good), going to see if I can replace my car with this and an occasional ride to uhaul to rent a van to haul big stuff.

First time riding a belt driven single speed, excited to try it out. Bought the range extender with it as well but gonna wait to see if its needed, it kind of messes up the look of it with it installed

Ok back to refreshing gmail.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

T Zero posted:

This weekend I'm going to check out a used first-gen FLX Babymaker (cringe) pro for $500: https://flx.bike/products/babymaker-standard-and-pro-eu

Anything caveats I should be aware of? Never owned an e-bike, but commute on a gravel bike on a route with some hills.

Not much to go wrong with these bikes, just make sure they didn't somehow destroy the belt and that it pedals smoothly. It was between the new babymaker and the ride1up roadster for me and I chose the roadster because I don't think I could ever say "babymaker" outloud to someone in person. Awesome bike though :)

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

foutre posted:

Oh drat Boise Greenbelt is like the ideal spot for bike riding around town. Bike looks great, I've seen some of them around town and everyone I've talked to about it has been a big fan. Excited to hear what you think about it!

Came in today and I rode it around about 10 miles, probably one of the most fun bikes I've owned, handles great, in assistance mode 1 I'm going about 15mph, no problem getting up to the advertised 24mph. Since it only weights 33lbs its actually really easy to ride without the battery on anything other than sustained hills.

I need to get the handlebars up and outwards a little bit but other then that, having a low powered ebike that weighs as much as my mountain bike i've been commuting on is amazing. If I had to pick a downside it would be the cadence sensor, but honestly on this belt driven system it's barely noticeable, not at all jerky like other cadence sensor ebikes i've had. If this had a torque sensor it would be perfect.

drat I just wanna go ride this thing again, gotta put some tannus inserts in first though, greenbelt is 50% goatheads.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I recently bought a motorcycle with the idea to get a hitch mount to tow it around with for camping stuff, but realized I like ebikes way more for a motorized two wheel sort of thing, and I really hate riding a motorcycle anywhere near cars.

Just so happened the most suggested long range ebike with some front suspension has a sale going on, so I'm selling the bike and waiting on this to arrive:

Turbo Vado 4.0, usually 4k, now at 2750, with that money saved i can buy one of their hilariously over priced extra batteries!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-vado-40/p/206159?color=348371-206159

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Evil Robot posted:

Lectric and Ride1Up are super popular around here and have a good reputation.

I had the ride1up gravel roadster v2 and can highly recommend it if you have no hills in your area.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Barry posted:

I have that same bike and love it. Fantastic price.

I keep refreshing the order page, I feel like a kid waiting for christmas again. Thanks money!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Got the bike today, can confirm mid drive torque sensor motors are absolutely worth spending the extra money, this feels like I'm actually in shape, instead of an incredibly out of shape guy getting pushed by a motor.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

It's a cool cave pannier, probably would've been cheaper to just strap a trash can to the back, but it was in stock at the shop I picked up my bike and I'm bad with money.

It is really nice to have a small trunk you can throw anything into, and you can throw a drybag in there if its raining.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

yeah, as a commuter the PAS has never bothered me. torque sensors seem to compel me to put in more work, which is of course all fun and good, but not always great for commuting.

Torque sensors are great if you spend enough money to get a fancy app along with it, with Specialized you can set it so you can get all the power of the motor with very little work, so I could cruise around at 20mph barely pedaling. Only worth it if the 1-2k price premium for bikes with torque sensors and fancy tuning apps isnt a big deal for you and you wouldn't miss that cash, I only got mine because they had such a great deal on their bikes. I had another bike that was a torque sensor but no real tuning available, I could see that being really annoying on a commute when I just want to get to work without sweating

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Fancy tuning? Does eco/tour/sport/turbo settings not do enough?

Why stick with three predefined modes when you can set what those modes mean like a huge nerd.

Couldn't find a good image of it, this gif shows the presets moving the settings around, but you can move those dots around wherever you want, setting how much power that setting gives, and how much power you have to give to get that set power.

Doesn't show it there, but theres also a Shuttle option which basically makes it gives all the power of that setting without having to pedal hard at all. I like it because the normal eco setting was too powerful and I didn't feel like I was exerting any energy, so I dropped it down to get a workout, it also let me do 17 miles with 80% battery still left which is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I can confirm that I'll never buy another ebike that doesnt have a torque sensor, as I type this on a mechanical keyboard. I wouldn't have any problem riding around on those ebike rental bikes though.

Definitely not worth the price tag if it would make you sad to spend that much, I only got mine because specialized had a 0% 12 month deal which my monkey brain thinks is better than just buying it.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 28, 2024