Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hopefully you’re using something like this

https://youtu.be/ixPFDFp8Cfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Awhile back I was dealing with chainline issues on my DIY set up, as one might expect with a BBSHD on a fat bike. Heading home from surfing one day the chain jumped the chainring when I went over a bump as it had several times before. But this time I didn't cut power soon enough, the chain got caught in between the ring and the crank, and snapped.

I finally got around to picking up a better chainring with more offset (and a fresh chain), and it is so much better now. Took it out for awhile today, hopped off some curbs at various speeds, and I couldn't get the chain to jump.

This is about as much offset as I could possibly run on this bike, you can see the clearance to the tire is very close. Also dropped down from 46 to 42 teeth on this, the top speed was around 30 mph before so I really don't need the top end.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 22, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Not sure if the original was narrow-wide (probably not, it was the default that came with the motor) but the chainline was clearly lovely even just glancing at it.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 22, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I built two DIY ebikes this year and $900 is about the cheapest I could get one of them down to. (The one I posted recently with the chain line issues was more) That’s after trying a cheaper kit which ended up being lovely so I returned it.

I’d be highly suspicious of the quality on an ebike retailing for that price point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I bought 2x this battery from amazon for two frankenbike builds this year (48V version). Comes with a charger, key-locked mounting plate, and some connector pigtails I think.

I used it with three different kits (the first hub motor kit from amazon was dogshit so I returned it), the ones that we use now are two Bafang mid-drive kits (BBS02 and BBSHD). Instalation was pretty easy, on both bikes I was able to use the existing cage mounting points on the downtube to secure the battery mounting plate, then soldered the output connectors to the two leads.

I've been pleased with it so far, but haven't done any really long rides to push the range much.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 30, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh. I would have figured a kit would have included some kind of battery. Did you have to look out for anything when it came to figuring out compatibility? I see in the comments that somebody mentioned it worked with a Bafang motor, so that would have been a sign. I don't see anything else in the description that would have told me it was going to be okay. So I'm probably fussing over this too much (a personal specialty).
Nearly every retailer I found who sold a Bafang motor kit offered it with a battery, but their batteries were imo overpriced.

There are really only two things that matter for battery compatibility here: voltage and current rating. In my case 48V and 30A. The battery also has a simple BMS in it, and completely separate terminals for charging (with included charger) and discharging.

Maybe it all seemed simple and low-risk to me because I did these bikes a year after having done an electric car conversion, which was obviously much more involved, higher power, etc.

edit: also 48V and 30A is a very common setup for these kits, unlike the 72v system in that video where he also wired them in parallel, necessitating additional safety electronics.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 30, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

For long term battery health wouldn't it be better to wire two batteries in true parallel and draw them down/charge them up together all the time? This cut's the discharge rate in half on a given battery, and keeps you from cycling one battery more than the other over time from shorter trips. Of course you need a BMS that can handle this arrangement.

In the other case, it makes sense to me to fuse everything for an extra layer of idiot-proof protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My battery had those same red and black connectors and came with an extra pigtail of those connectors, to solder on the motor wires. Did either of your components come with an extra pigtail?