Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Hey all! Recently picked up a used noname bike for 150 with SLA batteries; was curious where would be a good place to look at LiFePO4 replacements for the 36v downtube(?) it came with, ideally other than similarly noname Amazon sellers. Am considering building my own out of 12v ones if need be and putting it on the rear rack, but would rather not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Anyone have experience with the step-through Radcity 3? I'm looking at it for the regenerative braking in particular

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Good to know. I'm in MA, so there's definitely hills here to coast down. I'm not planning on relying exclusively on the motor for things like uphill either.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

It might be helpful to check if you have any makerspaces near you, both for equipment and expertise.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Well, poo poo. After a few months of no use (stored inside) I charged my e-bike battery to full, and then the next day it showed half empty without any use. I assume I'm out $580 on that one?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Yeah, nothing about that in the manual; it says specifically not to connect it to the charger for extended periods of time. It mentions that if it is less than 30% charge for an extended period, it can be damaged, but it didn't show that before I charged it.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

About to pull the trigger on a e1.2 from REI. Anything super important to know?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

300 mile Generation e1.2 update:

- In my hubris, I rode it for 14 miles on the stock saddle after getting it. Don't be like me.
- Can definitely get 40 miles of range on relatively level terrain and level 1 assist.
- I like the way it scales the controls better than my last ebike; my old one controlled the speed at which it stopped assisting you, while this one controls the degree of assist consistently up to 20 mph.
- I'll probably going to want some kind of shock suspension seatpost at some point, the roads here can be rough.
- This bike has sold me on hydraulic disc brakes as a must-have in the future.
- Front light has decent coverage ahead for off-road bike paths at least.
- I'm extremely fond of the way the kickstand works, which makes it much, much easier to keep upright on transit.
- Fenders are a must for sure, especially with the battery's placement.
- The front tire is juuuust too fat for the swinging arms on the bike carriers that MBTA buses have, but the front rack doesn't get in the way. I wonder if it might fit if I deflated it in a pinch (or if I got a flat anyway).

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Barry posted:

What saddle did you go with?

Bontrager Boulevard, 225mm wide, nothing special, but on sale for half off

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Blegh, the lens came off the front light on my Generation e1.2 while riding and went god-knows-where. Any suggestions on what I could rig up aside from my current Ziploc bag cover, since I would rather not drop 50 on a full replacement light?

Airconswitch fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

T.C. posted:

Potentially dumb question, but have you tried emailing them and asking if you can get a lens?

Tried the manufacturer of the light and haven't gotten a reply yet, might try a distributor.