Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Is there any significant quality drop off under the $2k mark? I'm buying two ebikes and don't want to break the bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Yeah, my wife has been pushing for the Aventon.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My wife and I are about to get our Aventon Level.2s this week.

We have always been super wary of any sort of street riding because our city is a car hell world. This isn't the reason we got them, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever felt more confident in street riding since getting their ebikes. My main concern with the street is the ability to get up to speed quickly from a stop, and of course maintaining speed up a hill. There are a lot of hills in my area.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So after a few months with my Aventon Level.2 I'm 75% liking it. I like the whole ebike thing but I overestimated how annoyed I would be at the size. It's a little too much bike.

My thinking when I bought it was that I'm in an urban area with crappy streets (welcome to america) so I wanted fatter tires and some shocks. There are also some spots of flat gravel trail. I've been able to ride around pretty well without rattling my teeth out of my head which has been good.

Boy is this thing heavy at 60 pounds, though. I'm also having trouble finding places to lock it up because of the space it takes up and it's hard to get a U-lock around the frame. I also have not nearly used the battery capacity. I don't think I've ever gone lower than 60% in usage. I'll usually only use the first level of assist.

I need to weigh the pros and cons of having those shocks and tires I guess. It's definitely been better on gravel, but that's just been a sometimes thing. I'll probably go out with my normal bike one day while my wife's on the ebike and we'll compare notes.

So I'm thinking about selling it and getting something a little more like my hybrid non-ebike. I was hoping to stick with Aventon since it seems like good quality and they have their Soltera.2 which is 15 pounds lighter. If my wife decides to follow me in going lighter the Soltera.2 wouldn't work for her since she has liked riding a step-through.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I've got this:

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/002031.html

I find the big portions of the frame a little hard to get around. I can do it as long as the rack is accommodating, but a lot of times I'm going places where this is less than ideal. I'm using the bike recreationally, and the thought of trying to find a place to lock it up causes me a little anxiety. About 25% of the time I have to rely on a cable. Maybe I need a bigger u-lock or something else, I don't know. My wife has the step-through version and that's even harder to get a lock around.

The fatter tire and shocks also makes it hard to squeeze into places. Again, I need to decide whether that difficulty is worth not getting my brains scrambled if I have to go into the street.

I'm also storing these in my apartment. Our normal bikes are on the community bike rack, and I'll be damned if I could lift it vertically onto the rack and get it to fit next to other bikes.

I would want to add fenders and a rear rack to a lighter ebike, but I would think that I'd still net 10 pounds lighter in the end, right?

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 28, 2024

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Went to the bike shop that I bought the Aventons today and they suggested this:

https://us.tenways.com/products/cgo800s

Looks good to me I guess. Wife gets shocks and a step through. I could probably go with the lighter Aventon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Went to the bike shop that I bought the Aventons today and they suggested this:

https://us.tenways.com/products/cgo800s

Looks good to me I guess. Wife gets shocks and a step through. I could probably go with the lighter Aventon though.

Researching this again, I noticed it doesn't have a throttle. This would have been a perfect bike for her if it had that. Anyone know of a similar bike with a throttle?