Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just ordered the first gen and will pick it up this afternoon. Looking forward to it, the hills here in south san francisco are killers.

edit: what's the right way to lock something like this? the wheels are small so it seems like it'd be a challenge to use a U-lock. Back in Rochester I used a 5' length of proper chain from the hardware store + a hefty master lock, just threaded through both wheels and the frame...

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I took the REI bike on a 5 mile donut run this morning. It was great! It's surprisingly easy to hit 20mph, and with these little tires I don't know that I want to go much faster than that. I was still huffing and puffing climbing the hill back to the house but as least I made it up.

It's a compact little thing, so I rolled it into the donut shop and popped it up on the kickstand, which I also really like -- it's an odd little folding center stand that just works great.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

A little disappointing that the motor had that little juice. Which gear were you in / what cadence were you at?

It's about a 12-13% grade. I tried the lowest gear and felt like the motor wasn't giving me very much; on a later run up the same hill, I found that putting it in a mid gear and standing up on the pedals worked better. All the rest of my ride, the assist was great and got me up hills no problem.

I'm also fat and out of shape.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Looks like a design student project that someone decided to actually produce.

Just use normal spoked wheels!!

This kind of wheel (I forget what it is) makes it easier to use tubeless tires, I think, which would be an advantage if they're just gonna use some common scooter tire.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

whoops less than 100 miles on my REI Co-op ebike and I get a giant piece of glass in my rear tire, deflating it within seconds.

Wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace the tire, not just the tube. Sucks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

in a well actually posted:

cabron powered bike

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

On a GSD, there's enough space for 3 when there's no child seat at play

for the sake of that poor front child, keep your bike shorts washed

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I saw a guy getting his BMW bicycle serviced at REI and yes he did look & act like a BMW driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Airconswitch posted:

About to pull the trigger on a e1.2 from REI. Anything super important to know?

I've got the 1.1 and I love it, but with the child seat on the back rack I'm pretty low on haulage capacity. Anyone know if you can get a front rack on one of these easily?