Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I got an Aventon recently, and I bought an extra battery when they were on sale for $300 (48v a bit over 600wh). I swap between the batteries every 100 miles to even out the wear cycles between the two, and it opens a lot of options - I can bring the spare with if I want to go REALLY far, but more importantly if the battery dies it gives me a spare shell and electronics if I decide to try to replace the cells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Pace 500.2 large, it's rock solid and it's my grocery getter so I'm not easy on it at all - I've exceeded its stated payload by quite a bit a few times, but that's also a reason I specifically choose a model without any suspension parts.

Customer service on the sales side is primo, haven't touched their tech support side since I've got plenty of experience maintaining bikes and cars. I'm going to make a larger post in a few days, but I can totally recommend it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Don't involve a bike shop at all on a battery rebuild because it's not a bike part, it's specialty soldering and electronics work

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Don't stop there. Remove the outer casing on the lead acid batteries and put them in a clear acrylic tank built into the triangle, compete work a "water" feature inside with a couple little fountains and maybe a water wheel. Battery fishtank is peak burning man

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Does tube brand matter much? I've gotten a couple flats on https://www.walmart.com/ip/904357201 from I'm assuming things like broken glass on the side of the road but I'm blaming the stock tires rather than the tubes and plan to get some marathon plus tires - I had those on a diy job a few years ago and loved them

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't want someone else's counterfeit battery

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Here's a reminder to pick up a couple spare derailleur hangers on the cheap while your bike's still in production

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I can still vouch for the pace 500.2, I just hit 700 miles on it. I know I'm overdue on that writeup, I'll get to it soon

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

https://youtu.be/5XUF_ISv98Y does a better job of a review than I could, and it's all accurate. Everything's sturdy, the official rear rack feels like it maxes out at around 60lbs or so (that trip had a total payload of around 400lbs of rider+groceries total). Buy the official fenders and racks while they're still in production, one size fits all is not true at all. I also picked up a spare battery and 3 extra derailleur hangers (the bike already comes with a spare hanger).The triangle tubes are thick and don't have mount holes, so plan somewhere else for a bottle. The front rack bottle holder is the only thing that sucks, I just snapped off the ring and filed down the nubs to give a proper rectangle front basket. Questions?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Oh, and just to clarify the ~400 was teetering on the edge of feeling unsafe, but 300lbs total spread throughout the bags/racks is super easy. Ballpark 18 miles on a charge with max throttle-only riding it hard at 20mph, 24ish miles if pedaling at a pace I can manage for an hour solid at top gear for 25-28mph speeds.

Second battery in the big frame bag works perfectly for a trip 15 miles away (each way) with no worry about recharging, I found a good way to wrap a python cable lock securely around the bag when I carry the spare. Kryptonite 1090 for the chain lock, it's worth the weight.

I bought my helmet from a motorcycle shop, I went with the style you probably envision when I say moped helmet. More importantly i have car insurance style insurance that covers stuff like liability and medical even in a solo accident

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 18, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If you end up buying the bike direct, here's a referral link that will give each of us a $50 discount. Not a paid shill, all the stuff I said was legit and it sounds like I'm not the only owner in the thread https://prz.io/ZN3db6ot5

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

There's a dealer in my area that sells them and I'm going to buy from the store so they put it together.

Oh yeah, diy blind spot. Good move, and its worth reminding others to ask if your own local shop will be able to service an ebike you didn't get through them before you pull the trigger

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Velosurance is who I went with but I haven't had to make a claim yet so I can't speak to how they do when it really matter

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's a reminder that the bones of your bike will last a lot longer than the average tech startup company

:capitalism:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Don't go for a gimmick folding lock or garbage from aliexpress, high quality high mass is your friend, especially since you won't care about the biggest downside of a heavy lock (its weight when biking). I feel comfortable with the 1090, but I wouldn't go lower end than that, I'd go with it or something from their new York line

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I personally loop the chain through the rear wheel and triangle (and fixture) to make it more of a pain in the rear end to steal. If they want to get it without an angle grinder they can't just leave an easy to replace part behind. Ulocks are great also, but I'd suggest getting a feel for the size in person if going that route

Vvv: right, that's what insurance is for, I just want to make sure it limits it to a targeted angle grinder attack instead of just a random crime of opportunity

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I can give confirmation that mine has nose, but it's at the same level I'd expect road nose from a non-quiet tire. It's not anything that ever gets to an annoying level to me (the kind of person that brings earplugs to a movie theater), but it's just noticeable enough that I wouldn't go throttle-only next to a cop somewhere ebikes aren't allowed

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If it's within a week or two send a support email today, they might bend the rules

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The dream setup would be foldable backpack sized with swappable batteries compatible with your bike

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'm getting close to 1k miles and I usually ride heavy and fast, so I'm planning to replace my pads and do brake fluid exchange. Brand suggestion for high quality pads to put in a tektro hydraulic setup? Humid area for now, but I'm also game for suggestions for a desert climate for later. I'd prefer quieter and don't care about super long life, I just don't want to sacrifice stopping power

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've got just under 1000 miles on the pace 500.2 large and it's as solid as ever. The claimed 28mph is legit, I can hit it when I want to put in the effort even when carrying lots of stuff. I can hear the motor cut off when I push to what would be even faster, so the motor clearly has at least some headroom before the governer kicks in. 20 is what it hits throttle-only

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I put together my first ebike with a 90s steel mountain bike, a noname 48v rear wheel kit, a wald dual basket rear rack, a plastic toolbox zip tied to the top of the rack, and 4 lawnmower size lead acid batteries in the box with the controller and fuses/etc

:science:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I missed the zeros :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Longshot, but anyone happen to be around louisville that'd be interested in buying my pace 500.2? I moved to nevada by plane, and trying to figure out how to get my bike and batteries/etc here without owning a car is insanely expensive, so I'm leaning toward the option of selling it and paying the difference to buy one locally

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Once you get an ebike, everything's downhill :banjo:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I've been a rigid body die hard for life, it's lighter and just feels more raw. If you're trying to use it as your main vehicle I also feel like addng a bunch of weight from groceries or whatever defeats the purpose of the shocks sice they'll just be compressed. I'm normally not one for big tires, but if your roads are ultra choppy then that's a cool use i didn't think of before

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I know we were just talking about weight but kryptonite chains are really nice and having an ebike motor removes the lock's weight downside when riding. I use an evolution with mine, the anti theft policy would cover the pace's value anywhere except if parked in nyc.

If i were buying a lock again I'd probably spring for the extra $40 or so for their chain that is nyc-rated just for the extra peace of mind since i don't live in the best part of a city, but the main point to remember is that as long as things go right that lock will last well over a decade

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Also when you're carrying the bike up stairs, here's my method. No clue how standard it is, but it centers the weight really well for my body and bike shapes, so give this a shot if it feels awkward when you carry yours:

• Bike facing the reverse direction, standing next to it with the bike on the right of your body
  • Pedals rotated so that the one on your side is the farthest toward the front of the bike (behind you)
  • Stand against the bike with your leg basically pushing against the front chainring
  • Squat a little and reach right arm over the bike so the triangle will be under your arm, grab the bottom tube just in front of the bottom bracket with your right hand ("in front" meaning grab it toward the bike's front, so behind the bracket from your perspective)
  • Stand up from the squat to pick the bike up, while standing simultaneously rotate the bike back so the front wheel goes down and grab the bottom of the rear triangle just in front of the rear derailleur with your left hand (same "in front" note)
  • Rotation complete where the weight feels natural, for me it was near vertical, handlebars will be located a few inches behind your lower back for reference
  • The front wheel will keep itself centered by riding its side against your right leg
  • If your seat post is high, you might even be able to tuck it on/over your right shoulder for extra support

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 29, 2024

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Meh, maybe the nyc is a whole lot thicker than i thought, but the point is to have something strong to carry around for when you're stopping at a half dozen different places throughout the day and i find chains a lot more versatile a ulock ever would be in my situation

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It depends on exactly how it broke, but as long as it didn't rip the nipple itself through the wheel you should be ok. Have them check the torque on all the spokes just in case they wouldn't do that as standard, if they aren't all correct you could be in for a quick repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Very true, whatever the case just ask the shop straight up to make sure the wheel is still good since "all" implies more broken ones than i was thinking and they know what kind of subtle signs to look for