Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Why not just buy a bell and ring it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a Yuba Supermarché/Supercargo electric? Do you have any thoughts on the Bamboo box vs. the canvas one? To be honest I'm leaning towards the canvas one because it is a little bigger. It's disappointing that combined with the child seats they're basically the same price.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I also barely notice a trailer. If it's loaded up really heavy then braking can be a little dicier on hills, but when it's empty I barely notice it. Personally I highly recommend it for grocery runs. I've been using a Burley Nomad for years now.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Picked this thing up on Wednesday, a Riese and Müller Packster 70. I have gone from panniers, to cargo trailers, to kid trailers and kid seats all on a non-electric commuter. Which has mostly been fine although I find the kid trailer to be a bit of a pain in the rear end so I haven't really used it much. Now that my second kid is getting bigger I have a need to take both of them around at once though and have been a little jealous when I see parents rolling up to the rec center in Urban Arrows or various Yuba bikes.

It was between this and a Yuba Supercargo CL, and then only because the R&M was on sale for a good price. To be honest I kind of liked the Yuba a bit more just overall and if I didn't have kids it would be a no brainer at the price. It seems a bit more versatile with the simple cargo platform and oversized rack, and I thought the geometry and frame felt a bit better. The steering felt a little worse but I suspect the shop did not have it that well-tuned. Ultimately though the comfort of the box for the kids on the R&M won me over. The kid bench on the Yuba is pretty chintzy and small (around 18" wide vs. 22"), the harnesses aren't nearly as nice, and the rain cover is pretty janky. Plus the bamboo board rattled quite a lot

It's been good so far. I did some simple trips today, brought my oldest to gymnastics and did a grocery run (both in moderate rain). Kiddo stayed nice and dry in the box, although I found water ran off it a little bit onto her while loading/unloading.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My cargo bike has a walk mode but it's kind of annoying to engage and I don't really find it very useful anyway. Maybe if I had to push it up a hill for some reason.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So after a few months with my Aventon Level.2 I'm 75% liking it. I like the whole ebike thing but I overestimated how annoyed I would be at the size. It's a little too much bike.

My thinking when I bought it was that I'm in an urban area with crappy streets (welcome to america) so I wanted fatter tires and some shocks. There are also some spots of flat gravel trail. I've been able to ride around pretty well without rattling my teeth out of my head which has been good.

Boy is this thing heavy at 60 pounds, though. I'm also having trouble finding places to lock it up because of the space it takes up and it's hard to get a U-lock around the frame. I also have not nearly used the battery capacity. I don't think I've ever gone lower than 60% in usage. I'll usually only use the first level of assist.

I need to weigh the pros and cons of having those shocks and tires I guess. It's definitely been better on gravel, but that's just been a sometimes thing. I'll probably go out with my normal bike one day while my wife's on the ebike and we'll compare notes.

So I'm thinking about selling it and getting something a little more like my hybrid non-ebike. I was hoping to stick with Aventon since it seems like good quality and they have their Soltera.2 which is 15 pounds lighter. If my wife decides to follow me in going lighter the Soltera.2 wouldn't work for her since she has liked riding a step-through.

I'm curious what sort of U-lock you have that it's difficult to get it around a bike like this? I'm able to get my U-lock around my bakfiet style electric cargo bike on most bike racks with some shimmying.

Mostly to me this seems like a weird move to go from a 62lbs bike to a 46lbs bike, esp when the latter lacks fenders and a rack which will cut into that margin a little bit. Still heavy rear end bikes either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have the Litelok X1. Can't really comment on the angle grinder resistance since, well, nobody has tried so far, but man the finish leaves a lot to be desired for such an expensive lock.