Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm so used to cadence sensors that sometimes I notice I'll be unconsciously doing a weird erratic slow pedal to keep the motor engaged, if I've got the assist up too high for the speed I want, kind of like blipping a throttle.

Ultimately you can just dial the assist exactly like changing a gear and it's ok - cadence sensors are only weird and awkward when the balance of your effort vs the motor effort is wrong - too much assist for your speed can be scary for sure, but just lower the assist.

I can see the appeal of mid drive eliminating the awkwardness, but I'm not convinced it's worth the price tag. It also could be one of those things where once you're used to it you can't go back to the jerky cadence system - like how once people get a mechanical keyboard they hate using the cheap ones.

Rear and front drive also have the advantage that if you also have a throttle, you can have a catastrophic drivetrain failure (like losing your chain, for example) and still ride home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My bike is a lot like that REI e1.1/e1.2 model, though it does have fenders (it rains a lot more where I am), and it's absolutely brilliant - it's my only vehicle and does everything I need.

Perfect for commuting, but also very good for grocery runs.

Fenders are pretty important on a commuter in my opinion, because you're more likely to get caught out by unexpected rain and you don't want to arrive to work with a muddy stripe up your back, but you can probably install something aftermarket. Also I don't know how often it rains in Texas or how predictable the forecasts are, so it might really not be an issue there - my city has weather so unpredictable people have written songs about it.