Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hi thread! I've been thinking about getting an ebike as a commute alternative, a low-impact exercise incentive, and just for funsies. Since this is my first ebike, I want to start on the cheaper end -- <$1500, though I could do up to $2000 if there's a great reason to.

My needs: The most I'd be going for a work commute is ~8.5 miles one way, 1-2 times a week at most. More often I'd be using it to get around town, which is just a few miles away. I live in a semi-rural area; within the city limits of a small town, but just barely. There's isn't much of a cycling culture here but there are cycle lanes, some of them death traps, and sidewalks that no one uses. I'd like something that can handle gravel, trails, neglected sidewalks, and maybe even grass and dirt from time to time.

Here's the bikes I've been looking at, after reading the last ~10 or so pages of the thread:

Co-op CTY e1.1 - $1300. They offer membership into a cult which I find appealing. No throttle tho; I'd kinda want one of those for getting through busy intersections after coming to a stop. Unless that's not as big a deal as I'm imagining?
RadRover 6 Plus - $1400. I like the big tires for the aforementioned semi-rural environment, but apparently they're not doing great, business-wise?
TENWAYS CGO600 Pro - $1700. Sounds like a gaming mouse, looks like a normal bike. Has a torque sensor apparently? Really light too
Soltera Ebike - $900. Cheap compared to the others for sure. Is 350W low power for an ebike? Also offers step-through model at the same price; not sure how useful/desirable that is when I can lift my legs just fine
Aventure Ebike - $1500. Big tires. 73lbs sounds heavy tho.

Suffice to say I don't really know what to look for when it comes to a starter ebike; I'm hoping to rent one this weekend if the weather holds up. For the pros, which of those has the best bang:buck, or you'd recommend first for a noob? Open to other bike suggestions too, or corrections on the usefulness of things like throttle, big tires, etc. 'ppreciate y'all! Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I'll have many more once I'm out there rollin.

Fake E: oh yeah and is it worth looking for used ebikes? Me not knowing anything about their mechanics and the natural wear of electronic parts/batteries makes me think that'd be a tricky path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the replies y'all.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If you have good bike security at work get a better bike like $1500 and up. Get a 750w 48v motor and 15-20AH battery so you can do round trip without charging.

Any specific recs between $1500-2000? I would like something that can do a commute, tho I'd only have to commute like 3-4 times a month.

Naramyth posted:

I test drove the 1.1 in a mall parking lot doing a bunch of stop and goes with traffic and honestly I was up to speed in like 5 pedals. I wouldn’t let a lack of throttle be a deal breaker

Gonna rent what I think is a Gazelle tomorrow that only uses pedal assist and try out part of my commute on it, see how it feels! You may be right.

monsterzero posted:

I have a step through Aventon Pace 500.2 that I’ve been riding for a little over a year. Very happy with it and the build quality though I went through a LBS and not direct so can’t comment on that experience.

My bike is about as heavy as the Aventure with my rack and locks and it rides fine. A little not-fun to ride powered off, but I could do 10-12mph on flat ground to keep pace with my wife on an MTB.

The Soltera is probably good if you’re a cyclist who just wants an easier ride to work, but if you’re coming in cold as I was take a look at the Pace (it’s more upright, 500w and has a larger battery).

I saw the Aventon Pace and have it earmarked in my potential bike choices. I am not a cyclist, is the soltera built more with that in mind?

tildes posted:

I'm not totally sure if I would want it as my only bike though -- I feel like I'd probably prefer going with something with bigger diameter wheels/more normal bike geometry if it was my only bike/if hauling groceries etc. was not as important to me.

Whatever I get, it's going to be my only bike until I decide I'm an ebike head. That said, my usage would probably be lower than most here.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Keep in mind a 26x4 fat tire ebike (all the rage now, I have one) are closer to 29" when the tires are inflated.

I brought the step over version purely for look but It's way bigger in person than on the internet photo. I am 5'7" and I am just barely tall enough to ride it. My wife definitely can't. In retrospect I probably should have brought the step thru version.

Most of the new step thru models nowadays should have extra reinforced ebike frames to lessen the flex.

Honestly I don't know if I need fat tires or not, it's just something I was considering due to the semi-rural environment I mentioned. Dirt, gravel, busted up old sidewalks, but really the big thing would be that walkways tend to have at least one pile of broken glass somewhere. If tube tires are fine with occasional rural/trail conditions then I probably don't need them.

I didn't think about the height thing tho. Reckon I should go for smaller bikes, if I go for big tires?

Hackers film 1995 posted:

if you have your heart set on those big rear end 26 x 4” tires then either look for an older rover (they have mechanical brakes) or just go with another brand.

I don't think I'll be getting a rad given some of the in-thread feedback. As for fat tires, I don't really have my heart set on them (honestly I kinda don't like how they make a bike stand out), but if they're useful for the terrain described above , then it's something I'd take into consideration.

--

Two other bikes I've been looking at:

Aventon Pace 500.2 - $1300. 500W motor, claims you can get up to 28MPH on PAS. 12.Ah battery. Throttle. Looks normal.
RipCurrent S - $1600. 1000W motor, front suspension, fat tires, 19.2Ah battery, 76lbs. Looks like a tiny motorcycle. This one seems to check most of my boxes and is in my budget -- does anyone have opinions on these?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the advice. After running around on a Gazelle Medeo, I think y'all are right on the money with the Pace 500.2. Definitely putting that one in the top slot.

My verdict after trying one out is that I should probably run around on a normal bicycle for a bit before forking out a chunk of change. :v: Got more confident as I rode, but it's been years since I've regularly ridden a bike and I wasn't entirely full of certainty on how to position myself. My rear end went into diamond-crushing mode when other riders went wide, or I had to pass some jackass on a unicycle on a narrow trail bridge. :argh: I think part of it is that the bike was shortshaming me; I could only "stand" if I was pushing myself up to my tiptoes, and to get a leg over I had to kinda lean to one side and saddle up from an angle.

Got a great workout tho even with the assistance, and doing that without destroying my feet is exactly what I want.

Anyways, thanks again y'all! :tipshat:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

So I had something happen.

Ordered a Aventon Pace 500.2 when Aventon was having a sale on their site. (Sorry Louisville goon, I wasn't in the area at the time). Arrived at doorstep, thought it was weird that it arrived in two boxes but figured it was for ease of shipping or something.

Then I noticed both boxes are equally very heavy. They sent me two bikes. :stare:

Put one together, the other is still in box. Thanks for the free bike I guess? Still trying to decide if I want to sell it, keep it, give it away as a christmas gift or whatever. I've gotten lucky on shipping/merchant errors before but never on something over a thousand dollars.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Stop me if this is a better fit for the general bike thread, but I wanna hear about everyone's accessories -- anything you've strapped to your bike that comes highly recommended.

Particularly I'm looking for some good panniers. Bought a cheap one advertised for 30L but I feel like I need more space to do grocery runs. Before that I'd just strap a backpack to the side of my rear rack and that worked okay; didn't put a lot of weight on it though. Thought about doing that for both sides as a low-cost solution.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I like your tub. Is that just like a laundry basket you DIY'd on the back or is there something else going on there?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Is there a seat that comes recommended for cruisers? I def get a little saddle sore if I've been riding for hours at a time.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Oof, that sucks. I had someone misinterpret (or ignore) a hand signal and passed while I was turning off; making me consider getting some bicycle signal lights since I doubt most people around here even know what hand signals mean.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Just point to where you are turning. Much less ambitious.

I did. :v:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Throwing in my $0.02:

I'm quite happy with my Aventon pace 500.2 (thanks to the goons who suggested it! :tipshat:), if you're up for something that looks more like a normal bike. I think they stopped selling them for some other similar (more featured(?) more expensive) models, but some places still have them for $1000.

Downside is that it doesn't come with a whole lot. When I got mine, it came with a pretty nice discount on accessories, which I used to get a rear rack and a kryptonite chain. Also it's kinda big -- 27.5" wheels, though I think with the battery it only weighs 52 lbs, on the lighter side of cheap e-bikes.

Having a front/rear rack standard on the e1.2 is certainly a boon. I still can't find a front rack that fits the Pace 500.2, lol. Your integrated tail light is also in a much better position than the Pace -- mine are on seat stays, which get obscured by any panniers. I have a third party blinker just to increase my visibility.

But if you're looking to exercise more, it might not be a bad idea to consider options with a larger wheel size? Bike scientists stop me if I'm mistaken, but I think larger wheels are supposed to be a bit more efficient for pedaling a heavy bike with the assistance off and maintaining speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

monsterzero posted:

My goon, have I got news for you: This amazon basket fits on a Pace 500.2 with only minor modification.

(Pictured with NIST standard bicycle cargo.)
I had to replace the bracket that supports it from the bottom of the basket to the fender bolt becuse the included one was not long enough, but it was easy to make something out of 1"x1/8" aluminum stock from the hardware store. It's held up well to almost two years of use and at least two crashes. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

:eyepop:

Very nice! I like your fenders, too. It's been raining a lot, maybe I should get some fenders...

Anyways, I'm certainly considering this. I know the bolt you're talking about -- I'm not very handy but the last one I bought/sent back looked like it might've worked if I had a much longer bolt to get through the fork. I thought about going to a hardware store and seeing if I could find the right parts it was lacking but it's been busy over here and I decided I'd rather start over.

My question is, does all the weight sit on the bolt through the front of the fork? The amazon link shows clamps for the forks for this bit to sit on, but seems like you've omitted it or you've got a hole there that I can't see in the image.

Jonny 290 posted:

i went ahead and ordered the e1.2, will be ready for pickup tomorrow!

:cool: