Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Reporting in. I have a Voltbike Urban folding bike I use to commute 13 mile each way to work for the last two years.

As for reason I get a 20" non fatbike folding bike, I live in a small NY apartment and doesn't want a full sized bike that take up too much of the space. If I look for a new folding bike now I would get the 48v variant of this bike which is the ejoe epik se.

I do watch a tons of ebike review videos because I am into ebike/eboards/scooters/EUC. For people who is in the market now and is looking for a good full sized, sensible priced commuter/hybrid bike in the $1500 range, I would recommend the Ride1up 700 or the Aventan Level. They have the same frame and same battery size which is a big 14AH 48v battery. I really like how the battery is intergrated into the frame. They just look so clean and "smart".

My bike

My work bike rack, I don't even bother to lock it anymore

Bonus clown bike

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

n8r posted:

I was out on a big backcountry ride yesterday and had a guy on an ebike haul rear end past me. I was pretty jealous. A thing that holds me back from an e-MTB is charging it away from home. Any ideas on this? I'll go for riding weekends where I'll camp for a night and ride two days. I could see this stretching into 3-4 days. How on earth do I charge an e-MTB in this situation?

If you don't get the fancy Bosch middrive, and look for Chinese solution , most of their batteries can be brought for $400-600 separately. So just get a 2nd battery for the road trip. Also what you describe doesn't require a full suspension eMTB.

Frankly, most of the non MTB need can be met by Radbike's lineup, and their batteries are all interchangeable.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 21, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

FBS posted:

How are you guys not completely paranoid all the time about these things getting stolen?

It's just around 1k-2k. A gas powered scooter cost more than that. You should spend 1/10th of your bike's value on locks though.

Every NYC delivery guy ride a $1700 ebike. They all park them outside of every Manhattan restaurant, nobody is stealing them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

It wasn't awful, just a lot of work. In the worst case I could have locked up the bike, removed the battery, taken a taxi home, charged it, and then gone to retrieve the bike.

WHAT? That sounds way more complicated than just paddle it home. You can paddle an ebike with no power just fine. You just need to carry 30 extra pounds of dead weight. One time my ebike stop working, so I just paddle it home for 13 miles. It took around 100 min instead of 60, that was it. I let my bike sat for a whole month before I got off my rear end to fix it, it turned out just the power cable going into the hub wheel was loose.

quote:

That's one of my only regrets about buying into the Bosch ecosystem -- I can't figure out where to buy or rent additional batteries. What part of NYC do you live in?

I live in Flushing, 13 miles to downtown Manhattan.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 21, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's crazy to me, in my city even your lovely $100 special has a great chance of getting stolen with a lock on it.

Do you want me to suggest a 26 pound ebike you can put under your desk?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, I agree. I'm thinking if I was dead tired and it was 100+ degrees outside or something like that, or if I popped an inner tube and couldn't sort it out with the patch kit I have.

I'm in Kips Bay, but I've been hitting up the Queensboro Bridge and exploring that part of Queens a lot lately

Getting a flat is my biggest fear, so I swapped my tires to the toughest Marathon+, and a pair of new slim tubes every year. The ride comfort sucks but the tires are indestructible.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 22, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know when you guys last ride a bike in NYC, but the city built up a lot of cycling miles in the last 2 years.

You can go to place like r/nycbike and just browse the photos and get an idea. Keep in mind the people in nycbike are the most grumpy cyclists.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Rad now has a upgraded version of the Radrunner with gears and some other upgrades. It costs 1500 just like all their other bikes. But it no longer has the cool green color option.

If I can get an indoor garage from my building, I would get a wagon ebike, which is easier to install a child seat and carry a few more things to the bbq/supermarket. The funny thing is my wife won't let me sell my SUV so even if I want to replace the car with an ebike as much as possible, it's not that essential in my own case. I may also upgrade to a "halfway wagon ebike". I consider the Radrunner belongs to that category.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

I was riding around on my ebike and a peddle just came completely off, stripped the thread and everything. I was miles away from my home/car.

Thankfully I just throttled my way back home.

Put me down as one of those incredibly greatful for my e-bike.

What model is this?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you guys want a really really light ebike just get an e scooter . A good one like etwow GT only weights 26 lbs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

savesthedayrocks posted:

I’m just starting to look into ebikes (going to have a son in November, I’d like to get some exercise with him), thanks for the recommendation. I love the setup, just not the price. Are there any similar alternatives, or is that the benchmark for quality bike vs price?

There are only maybe 5 wagon ebikes on the market. The thing with the GSD is you can buy 3 radwagon with it.

Also alot of people think they need a wagon bike when they rarely need to. You can even carry 2 children on a standard sized folding bike if you want to.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Also consider a cheap child trailer on craigslist to carry large grocery.

The rack I use is a Topeak MTX quick release rack. you can quick install a childseat or a carrying trolly on it fast. You can also use the child seat itself to carry a giant laundry bag if you want.

Pro tip, don't just rely on the quick release clip to lock your commuting bag, also use included volcre loops. I lost a bag that way.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 27, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just about every ebike I have looked at use Shimano derailleur, all the low end ones use the same Shimano Tourney 6/7 speed. I think they literally have a monopoly on the derailleur market. You have to look at Shimano's own tier chart to figure out if you have an entry level or mid-tier one. As far as Shimano middrive kit, nobody uses it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The Bafang Ultra is a monster drive train. It's kind of ebike you get when you are ordering your third ebike. Also check out Sur-ron line of "ebikes" if you plan to spend that kind of money for speed.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you just pull the part of tube put and patch it? If the tire is deflated it should be pretty easy to dismount.

Also, Marathon Plus ans slime tubes.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't have problem with it. Rad is the biggest vendor so they should be funding the "got milk?" type campaign. Ebike industry as a whole is still too small.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

I was chatting with the guy at Propel Bikes when I picked my bike up, and he showed me a prototype they'd gotten from China. They wanted buy white-label ebikes and sell them as Propel brand bikes, probably in the $1000 range. That didn't work out because the quality wasn't there. I think what will push ebikes into the realm of daily transport for the masses is local shops being able to sell cheap store brand bikes that they can stand behind. There's a big difference between taking a broken bike to the shop and being frustrated getting parts replaced by a company across the country or across the globe.

But Propel bike specialize in high end ebikes though. Since NYCE Wheel is dead I don't know who else sell higher end Bosch/R&M/Birdy bikes than Proopel. They are the kind who stock and stell 6k europe bucket bike you can put 2 kids in the front bucket and ride like a fancy European.

I mean it makes perfect sense that they don't want to sell white label bikes. Mean while every other ebikes shops in the US are selling white labelled rebranded Chinese bikes in the $1000-1500 range which are essentially the same bikes. Also let me point out that the US bike shops are selling lazy white label instead of deep customed models like the Canadian online order shops because US has terrible ebike laws compare to Canada.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 5, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just get some "250W class 1" stickers.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You shouldn't let your battery run below 20%, it will shorten your battery life span a lot.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It depends on how visible your bike is and how fast the cars are going. I suggest you take both routes and decide later. Also get reflective vest and large blinking rear lights.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This Bosch battety thing is like printer ink cartridges.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

aldantefax posted:

Aside from that kind of odd battery pannier, there is also this thing, which lights up: https://www.ortlieb.com/usa/e-glow-1+F8231A

I have thought about using some 3M reflective tape to plaster over the frame everywhere so that in the evening with my reflective gear on the new bike looks like a bizarre space alien.

I was also looking at helmets, and apparently there is an ebike helmet rating, NTA 8776? I think it might be comparable to having MIPS on a helmet designation, where it's designed for the higher speeds you would get on an ebike. I kind of would like one that has Bluetooth for turn by turn, but I could probably just slap a speaker on the bike somewhere since I'm not exactly trundling along in quiet neighborhoods.

I have every reflective thing on my bike

They are not as shiny as you think, cause only direct 90 degreee head beam will create that kind of reflective.

The cheapest and most visible things are still 1 the biggest blinking red rear light you can find, 2 a cheap $5 neon green vest. You don't even need to wear the vest, just tie it to your bag. I also just got this, looking forward to wear it.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 21, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
See if your ebike has a throttle, you don't have to worry about where you gear is in front of the red light.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

40-some? I used that battery for errands earlier in the week, and the trail started with a long rear end climb so range numbers were all over the place. I bumped the assist up from Eco to Tour on the way back so that "10 miles" isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

So how much milage can you get out of the 2 batteries on a flat terrain touring day?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
90 miles in 5-7 hours seem pretty doable, you would have to stay in a motel or campsite with hookup to recharge them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah. It's been too hot for me to spend more than a few hours riding per day until recently. I've got an overnight camping trip planned out (about 60 miles each way), just need to find the time to do it. It might not happen until the spring.

Off topic, just got back from a KOA cabin trip with 2 other families from Delaware Watergap, loved it. Booked another trip 2 weeks from now. I would ride more if I don't have a kid. But here in NY there is not a lot of bike lane that can connect to any beach or camp site. I would love to drive to Cape Cod and cycle for a couple days, but my wife doesn't like Cape cod for some reason.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I change a pair of slime tubes every year. Usually before a leak happen.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's inside that tumor?

Try various Marathon options going all the way the Marathon Plus.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A pair of training wheels is a lot cheaper and take up a lot less space than a trike.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

marmot25 posted:

Hello e-bike thread!

I’ve been considering getting a newer RadWagon for daycare drop-offs and grocery runs around East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland). I would consider something nicer but I’d be concerned about parking it in my building’s bike room.

Also check out the Blix Packa. It's about the same price but its has a factory 2nd battery option for $300 more.

quote:

My main concern is actually this—our bike room is down a short series of steps (~2.5 feet total over three steps). Is it foolish to consider moving any of these 70+ lbs bikes up and down a short set of steps or would I hate myself after a few days? There aren’t really other storage options here since anything parked outside would be gone within a day.

Get a messenger bag strap to carry part of the load with your shoulder. Also remote the battery first.

Also you don't need a wagon bike for 1 child.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ElMaligno posted:

Is this the the thread were i ask about ebikes???

I am looking for two different types of 'em

1) My wife would like to use a bicycle to commute to work, she already has a regular hybrid and her work aint that far. She is interested in electric bikes and folding ones.
2) Myself i mainly use my entry level road bicycle to work out and go places, i would like something akin to a Gravel/All-road electric bike. Also i'm getting one so i dont steal my wife's.

Our combined budget is maybe 5000?

With general requirements like that you can get any ebike in the 1.5k-2.5k range. See if you have a local ebike shop.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you don't want to paddle, get an ebike with rear hub motor which should have a throttle. That's what you want.

Edit, 1 mile? Just walk. Or get the cheapest scooter.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 17, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Checkout these 2 folders: Ejoe Epik SE and Brompton Electric. I was going to recommand Evelo quest Max but they discontinued it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I have to go to work to exchange my work laptop, that means I have to ride my bike for the first time in 6 months. I brought it out and inflated the tires (front was completely flat but rear still half full) lubed the chain and What not. I don't know if my 2 year old slim tube can hold up but I decide to use them a few more times. After the maintanence I put my kid in the childseat and gave him a ride.

Long story short I broke my aftermarket double stand. I didn't know it was possible to break a pink-finger thick stand leg. It happened like this. I heard some noise in the rear, so I stop and put the bike on the center stand, lift the rear wheel up so I could push the paddle and check; I found nothing so I turn on the power and ran the hub motor for a bit; still found nothing so I turn off the power and let the rear wheel drop to the ground. At this point the rear wheel had no power and it was just running on inertia. But the inertia was strong enough that when the rear wheel touch ground it gave the stand a big rush and broke one of the legs.

So that's my WFH ebike story.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is That a geared hub motor or a direct drive motor? I hope your phone is okay at the end of the video?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you powering the eChariot with a generator?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can't help you with setup that wire into the battery. But if you want the cheapest and brightest light, go to Amazon and search "8.4v bike light".

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Weekday ride after work

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

aldantefax posted:

At long last, my ebike should be arriving and fully assembled by the end of next week, just in time for my birthday! I'm very excited to ride it around because the weather recently has taken a turn for the fantastic.

What did you get?

My "backup" Inmotion L9 is coming soon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No hiking? Why would they ban the activity thats least likely to spread the virus?