Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Hi everyone, I've been looking into getting an ebike but I'm having trouble finding what would be a good fit for me.
I'm mostly going to be riding on a trail that is dirt or crushed rock, and well maintained. I'm also 6'6" and I am prone to back problems.
The only ebike I've ever ridden is a bike from rad power bikes that my father has, and it seemed pretty good.
Currently I have my eye on a couple of bikes, an x premium from lectric bikes, an aventure 2 from aventon, and a ripcurrent s from juicedbikes.
Please tell me which of these are bad or good choices and why, I don't want to make a bad purchase and have this nice bike sit unused in a shed all year, I want to exercise.
I really like the xpremium bike but I'm worried I will look like a clown as a big guy on a tiny bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

UncleGuito posted:

I just got the new Turris from Ride1UP and really happy with it so far. Looks awesome, has a strong motor, and tires that can handle city/trail stuff.

https://ride1up.com/product/turris/

Thanks I'm adding this to my list of potential bikes, I appreciate it, I also appreciate the advice above, helps put everything together

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Okay I've got my ebike choice down to two bikes. One has a rear wheel 750w torque motor, and one has a 500w mid drive torque motor. What are the big differences between these two? Will the 500w be significantly less powerful or will I hardly notice? I'm a big guy at 250lb so maybe I won't notice the weight on the back wheel? Anything else that I wouldn't know about having never used either of these?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

That's fair, it's between the aventon aventure 2 and the lectric xpremium

I'm going to look at the aventure 2 this friday but no one has the xpremium for me to see around here

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The vast majority will be on a crushed gravel trail, it's not too hilly and is well maintained
Edit: there is also a portion that is a dirt trail that I plan on using too

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 20, 2023

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Bikes are an industry that already underserves tall and small people, and this is magnified by bikes like these that have limited sizing.
What's kind of insane about the Aventure is that, as far as I can tell, the only difference between the regular and large is the where the top tube meets the seattube (and where the seat tube opens up) -- the large is not a single mm longer in reach.
At 6'6", you're well into the territory where you'll need to consider if a bike can be made to fit you. The reach the Aventure has will feel like your hands are right in front of your knees. You can adjust this to some degree by getting a long stem, but it might still feel very cramped or very upright.

The test ride should reveal a lot, and hopefully the shop will accomodate you testing with a different stem.

I appreciate this, while I've been 6'6" my entire adult life, bicycles to me have always been something I compromised on and just dealt with the fact that they didn't really fit me but that was because I would always get them free or cheap.
Now I feel like I'm spending big money but I'm having a hard time figuring out what will actually fit me and what won't.
I'll make sure I look at other options while I'm at the bike shop

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

I ended up buying the aventon aventure 2 and putting a higher stem on for the handlebars since i am fairly tall, it worked out great. So far my favorite thing about ebiking is being able to go fairly far on limited time and I can still look slovenly while I do it, thanks ebikes!

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Finally decided to take a long bike ride around a lake today, about 1/4th of the way through my ride the motor started making a grinding or slipping sound, now I am waiting to get picked up after pushing the bike to a parking lot which was thankfully not too terribly far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

I have an event on aventure and I love it, I also have a disabled seven year old who really wants to ride in the burley bee trailer I bought for him, but he won't keep his feet inside and he won't let me enclose the trailer. I was thinking about some sort of extension for the tow arm, but I'm having trouble finding a product for this... Anyone have advice? I don't want to jack up my son's foot on the rear wheel!