Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
bought a used Super73 Z1 and I'm driving 4.5ish hours away to pick it up.

Wish me luck!
I'm gonna mod the poo poo outta this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
After an entire day long debacle, I picked up my super73 Z1 and I fuckin love it. I wish I had gotten one of these years ago

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hollismason posted:

Realistically how long of a commute in a city could a 4 mile trip be on a electric bike. Google tells me 30 minutes but I think it should be shorter.

I just did a 10 mile trip in Chicago and it was around 30ish minutes. But I also don't stop at most lights or stops signs unless I absolutely have to, and I try to 25mph+ as much as I can.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hdip posted:

Will the fact that you're on an ebike mean the authorities will be stricter on you stopping at stop signs and lights?

lmao they can try. I can effortlessly just jump on the sidewalk and then go the opposite direction and dip through alleys and stuff. they'd be wasting their time trying to talk to me at all.

but this is Chicago. I passed a couple cops and they asked me what I was riding and they just said "cool" and I drove off through the light cause no one was coming. they don't care. ymmv literally and figuratively though.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

mystes posted:

I don't think that running from the police is actually a great idea

then don't do it lol

I'd rather take my chances.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I'm in the Chicago area. Half the trip there is a bike lane all the way down. The other half is Mad Max danger zone that I have yet to figure out how to bike through. Like a 1 lane bike path turns into a 6 lane highway for a good distance then back to a 4 lane road. I'm trying to figure out the best path but its going to be difficult.

I do not want to ride my bike on that 6 lane road.

There is fortunately a way to double back and get back on that simpler road though. Just this giant area though that turns into a 6 lane highway.

I think what I'm going have to do is take the bike path halfway there, then ride up, cross a bridge , go across and get on a bike path heading back the way I came then get on the lesser used road that's not a 6 lane highway.

Edit:

I don't want to dox myself but if anyones interested in helping me scout a route PM me and we can talk about it. I'm also on Discord as Hollismason

I used to be a messenger so I'm comfortable riding wherever.

are you doing a north/south trip? east/west? actually I'll just dm you about it lol

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
loving my super73 so far. have had it for 3ish weeks and it's been great. already added a suspension fork, and this weekend I'm adding a 72v controller and a 1500w rear hub motor to replace the stock 500w. I'm also in the process of building a 72v 20ah battery so I don't have to worry about charging as often. this hobby is now my hyperfixation :stoked:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

which one, and does Super 73 use a 1" moto headset?

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm almost positive it's a 1 1/8. I'll confirm when I get home today

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

stephenthinkpad posted:

Get another frame and you will have enough spare parts to build a 2nd bike.

that's the plan down the road. going to build out a less beefy one as a backup since I use this one for commuting

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can do a weekend build that specialize in hauling 2nd person and/or BBQ meat.

What's the range and top speed of your new bike?

I don't know the max range since I haven't run it til it died completely yet, but my work commute is about 10ish miles and when I leave the house fully charged, it looks from the very barebones indicator that the battery is somewhere between 40% and 0% by the time I get to work.

I passed a speed sign yesterday with the throttle all the way down and it said I was going 25mph, but that was with a not fully charged battery and before any upgrades to anything but the fork. I'm very excited to get into the 30mph+ speed range because it'll make my commute time shorter both ways.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's thread opinion on Super73's as a commuter? I see them all over LA

I have one and I love it. I'm in the process of upgrading the motor, battery, and controller so I can go faster and farther, but the stock ones are fine as is (I'm on a z1)

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
is there a thread for building ebikes and not just general pre-built ebike discussion?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I built up our two commuter bikes with front hub all-axle setups from Grin and they have been great. I tow all sorts of dumb stuff around with mine and it never skips a beat. What are you thinking of going with?

im in the process of doing an Enduro/stealth bomber clone right now. got a 1500w rear hub motor and I'm building a 60v battery. have the frame mostly built out with a suspension fork. just need to find time to do the battery/bms/wiring/etc stuff for the internals and then I should be good to go hopefully.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Did they give you a warranty replacement?

Is the Super73 not robust enough for hopping over curbs?

it is! and it's fun as hell. that was just my first ebike and now I have the desire for more power and speed. gonna give the s73 to my girlfriend.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Why do you need so much travel? Which fork are you going with?

it's like 180mm travel...why not? the stock s73 fork made riding over potholes and uneven ground brutal and shaky.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Cost? You can have the advertised travel and still not have the effective suspension you want.

I bought the fork a while ago but I think it was like $250ish? something like that. it's an adjustable air fork. triple tree or double shoulder or whatever the terminology is.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Man_of_Teflon posted:

are these overkill with a normal frame? I guess to put it another way - do you need a super beefy head tube to go with this?

it's just a 1 1/8 suspension fork that happens to extend up on both of the prongs of the fork and connect to the top at 3 places instead of one. it's pretty light for what it is, and it fits the aesthetic of the frame better than a regular fork, imo.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

TenementFunster posted:

if they aren’t bikes, why do they have pedals? checkmate, United States Department of Transportation!

:smugdog:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Appoda posted:

So I had something happen.

Ordered a Aventon Pace 500.2 when Aventon was having a sale on their site. (Sorry Louisville goon, I wasn't in the area at the time). Arrived at doorstep, thought it was weird that it arrived in two boxes but figured it was for ease of shipping or something.

Then I noticed both boxes are equally very heavy. They sent me two bikes. :stare:

Put one together, the other is still in box. Thanks for the free bike I guess? Still trying to decide if I want to sell it, keep it, give it away as a christmas gift or whatever. I've gotten lucky on shipping/merchant errors before but never on something over a thousand dollars.

Send it to me, please. I'll pay for shipping :angel:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I know this looks like poo poo lol

But I am excited because I just got done building my first ebike battery for a stealth bomber clone I'm also building.

It's 60v 24ah (16s6p Samsung 40t 21700 cells) so it's capable of a pretty decent amount of power, but I'm gonna be running a 48v 1500w hub motor with it, so I shouldn't be getting above 30a continuous in an ideal world.

Here it is. I'm going to wrap the whole thing in heat shrink once I do a full charge cycle. The BMS is Bluetooth so I can monitor charging and discharging.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Did you follow a guide to build this? Any tips, things you'd do differently? Did you use a spot welder?

I've been thinking of doing something similar since it's getting hard to find batteries in the specific size I want.

I didn't follow any 1 particular thing (which would have been super helpful) just because there wasn't really a tutorial anywhere that incorporated everything I was questioning or encountering. I basically just researched as much as needed for me to feel comfortable starting the project, chose cells, bought a battery spot welder (the glitter 801d, which was sufficient, but I'd recommend something better, as I had to go over my welds a lot over multiple sessions to feel like they were secure) and went to town. I overbuilt the poo poo out of it also just because I want it to last as long as possible by being stressed as little as possible. I have the BMS set to only charge it to about 90% capacity and to do it relatively slowly, while also keeping the cells balanced.

There's a YouTube channel called ebikeschool.com (I think?) that had some good videos on the concept of making a battery (although those were all smaller than what I wanted and needed, the concept is mostly the same) and then I skimmed endless-sphere.com and some solar forums for more info on batteries and BMS technology. This whole thing was about a year in the making, mostly because I work and am in school full time, so I just tagged into the project on rare moments when I had spare time or when I was dicking around at work and could pay attention to it.

Also the dude who does that YouTube channel has a book about building diy batteries and I grabbed a copy of that to reference for information. All in all this project cost more than it would have to just buy a battery, but I also gained the tools and knowledge to make more of them in the future, should my needs/desires change.

If you end up wanting to pull the trigger on a project, feel free to dm me with questions. I'm no expert, but I found a lot of info through trial, error, and incessant digging.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Huggybear posted:

This is super cool. Do you have any general plans for a bike frame/drivetrain etc, and how you're going to mount or house the battery? Also curious about the motor choice. A hub motor is easier to mount and interface but since there are a lot of options I am wondering if this is because you already have a frame to build up from, or if there is something obvious I am missing. Does the motor option include the controller/wiring/display? (I have a bit of an industry background but I know very little about the electrical side of ebikes other than what basic diagnostics and what plugs into what because every major brand just has their own plug and play proprietary parts and batteries and all any customer cares about is power, legality and whether or not they have a throttle)

I got this stealth bomber Chinese clone frame that is basically identical to this one

Hub motor I got as part of a kit with controller, display, and throttle, so all those parts will play nicely together. I already tested them once I finished that battery and as far as I could tell, after changing the controller settings to accept 60v, everything was working fine. Got the phase wires from hub motor connected and throttled and it spun. I just have to physically put everything together now and I should be set to ride.

Battery controller and eventually dc-dc step down converter all live in the center cavity. I'm gonna add running, brake, and headlights, and front and rear turn signals at some point in the next month or so.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
^Took this project to a huge cemetery and got it up to 32mph pretty easily which was extremely fun. still only have mechanical disc brakes until I can get a hydraulic disc bleed kit. It's -25 here with wind-chill right now though so I'm probably gonna be shelving this for the foreseeable future til it's warm enough to ride again.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Local ebike group had this warning about Rad parts availability

I'm not really familiar with their hardware at all, but is there some reason you can't just buy any controller rated for the battery's voltage and then just re-end all the connectors if need be?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Man_of_Teflon posted:

that could be a lot of tiny wires, not exactly amateur stuff. and given that they blatantly use weird sizes for other parts (22" tires? seriously?) i wouldn't be surprised to find that the stock connectors are all unique...

drat that sucks. Also lol @22" tires. Is that proprietary? I've never seen or heard of that size anywhere.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
My bike weighs like 90 pounds so I need to suspension or else I'll fly off when I hit a small rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
It's nice as hell outside here so I finally charged up and whipped around a little bit. Got up to 36mph and realized I should probably buy a full face helmet.