Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
Hoping this is the right place to ask.

I have a Freego ebike (moped) and I've got 6 broken spokes on the rear hub. I emailed the company and they said I need 13g X 125mm and 13g X 127mm. Are these sizes something a bike shop will carry or will I need to purchase online beforehand?

I'm fine with purchasing (Freego is asking me to pay double online prices) for replacements. Is this something a layman can replace easily. I know the wheel won't be trued but I need a quick fix as this is my "car". Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

kimbo305 posted:

I think it’s unlikely they’d have that in stock. Or would have the right gauge to cut down on a spoke machine. You can always ask, of course.

You need to get matching spoke nipples. If you want to DIY, you need a spoke wrench, a crappy version of which might be on your multi tool. I’d avoid using that kind of possible cuz it can round off a nipple so easily.

You also need to understand lacing patterns to know which spoke to use where, if the broken spoke is gone or only half there.

Finally, depending on what tire model and wheel you’re talking about, it might require heavy duty tire levers to take the tire off and put it back.

Thank you! Will be taking it to the LBS next week. Do you think the entire wheel will need to be relaced or can the broken ones just be replaced.

This was after 800 miles of riding, no curb jumps or whatever, if it matters lol.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

Sentient Data posted:

It depends on exactly how it broke, but as long as it didn't rip the nipple itself through the wheel you should be ok. Have them check the torque on all the spokes just in case they wouldn't do that as standard, if they aren't all correct you could be in for a quick repeat

They're all broken at the hub/hook side (sorry wrong term I know). Still attached at the nipples, swinging in the wind.

Really appreciate the knowledge. Been lurking this thread before I got a bike. I know I'm not one of you but ebikes own

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
This was a great investment for my moped style ebike https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDFB5K5Q/