Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm looking for a throttle/class 3/fat tire ebike that can seat two in a pinch. gf and i are moving to SF in august and she cannot drive, but is looking at a ~15 minute commute mostly through Golden Gate Park to get to school. she has a friend who loves her Super 73, so I was looking at a Super 73-S Adventure Series. however, I was wondering if yall had any recommendations for a bike/technically just an electric moped

like this! looking to seat two occasionally and take a rear cargo basket. preferably hardtail. thanks!

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't ride knobbies on the street. They're SO noisy and inefficient. Looks like you can get semi slicks for another hundred bucks so go wild tho.
yeah i was hoping for something i wouldn't have to immediately swap the tires on, but I couldn't find much that also had seating for two :(

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
does anyone have any recommendations for a ladies’ full-face DOT helmet that are more cutsie and less Crotch Rocket Cool Kid? i saw a couple vespa brand DOT moped helmets, but they didn’t have any chin/mouth protection.

the super73 is sick, but it has too much sauce for just a bike helmet and gf has got a lot of smarts rattling around up there.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

i'd get something like an arai rapide neo in number blue. it's got cool paint.
i was trying to see if there was an option aside from Just Get An Arai, but welp. old boomer family friend has been a lifetime motorcycle guy, and he has always swore by them.

e: goddamn that number blue livery owns

e2: the shoei glamster also looks to fit the bill, and is significantly lighter to boot. but are either of these helmets available in the US, or will i have to do some grey market import poo poo? all the reviews are in "british"

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 12, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

Can you even get that in the US of A? shoei makes the EX-zero in a bunch of cool liveries too, if you can get that...
loving doesn't seem like it! same for the Arai. i'd have to import them. :mad:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
are any of the mainline aluminum frame dropbar offerings from Trek/Cannondale/Specialized worth a poo poo? i just realized that my gf is gonna be smoking my rear end if we ever go anywhere together.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

They're all overpriced for what they are but Fine.
gonna save five grand throwing a waterskiing tow rope on the back of her bike and getting a skateboard instead

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
stealing my gf’s super73 really makes me want one of those dickhead e-dirt bikes. this poo poo is so much fun.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah turns out a light supermoto with max torque from 0rpm is pretty cool. It's not a bike, but it's fun as gently caress
if they aren’t bikes, why do they have pedals? checkmate, United States Department of Transportation!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
everyone just needs to buy more money so they can get a super73. gf loves her plausibly-deniable moped!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Speleothing posted:

I want an ebike that I can strap a milk carton onto for groceries. Distance about 4 miles round trip with a short but steep hill
Super 73 Adventure S + the rear rack + milk crate of your choice

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mystes posted:

You'd think there would be better storage options for motorcycles than milk crates
the hardest part is finding a milk crate large enough to accommodate an entire motorcycle

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
krypto chain + NYC lock is peak. my gf has one for parking at home and another for school, which is in an access-controlled bike locker. a bit overkill but you don’t have to outrun the bear in that situation

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Safety Dance posted:

I had one of those kryptonite ny fahgettaboudit chains when I lived in Manhattan and I think I used it twice. It was unusably bulky and heavy and loud, just a real pain in the rear end to carry around. I used the kryptonite ny fahgettaboudit U lock every day.
rofl you aren’t supposed to carry the chain with you

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it’s a lot easier to hang a beefy ulock on the bike that drag a chain around. u locks are for errands, big rear end chains are for commuting

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
after like six months, Super73 finally has folding pegs back in stock.

if you can read this, i fell off!!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

corona familiar posted:

I just got my Lectric bike yesterday and immediately took it for a 15 mile trip in the pouring rain to in-n-out and back. surprisingly rideable even with no pedal assist

:feelsgood:
were in The Bay Area was it pouring rain yesterday?! i call bullshit, bikeliar!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

corona familiar posted:

I'm visiting family out of state lol. They live in suburban hell but there's a surprisingly robust walking path system so an ebike actually means trips that are unreasonably long on foot become reasonable bike trips
the coverup begins!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the most correct response to this issue is to confront some of the worst paid and most precarious workers in the country as they attempt to make their very dangerous jobs slightly less perilous

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

What do people like for locks? Denver's kind of stealey.
lol i had an insane combination of kryponite new york u-locks and chains and my poo poo was still getting stripped for parts all the time.

don't park it outside overnight. don't park it in a shared garage unless it's access controlled. don't park in your own garage unless you put in a ground anchor. i sunk two of these into the floor of the garage in our new place

Safety Dance posted:

I always say a good insurance policy beats a good lock any day, but Kryptonite makes a beefy U lock that would be hard to get through without a battery powered grinder.
the insurance policy that you can get through kryponite is a good back-up after your renter's insurance stops accepting claims after your bike gets stolen the first time. State Farm wanted me to go through some pain in the rear end "we think you're doing fraud" process on my second theft claim, so I dropped them.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 18, 2024

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah for now i can put it inside the porch that locks and has some good lock anchor points, and the next place is gonna have a garage and sensors and poo poo. advice added to list.
also they are stupid expensive and offer zero exercise, but you owe it to yourself to at least test ride a Super 73. the fiancée loves hers for zipping around town. they are fun as poo poo and basically just an e-dirt bike

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

that class is cool as gently caress and i will eventually have one, but i already own a drz400sm so it'd be pretty fuckin' redundant
oh right i forgot you're a Real Motorcycle Boy

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CopperHound posted:

I still haven't heard of anyone getting a payout from that, but I'd love to hear that something has changed.
u gotta buy the policy. i’ve never had a u-lock be defeated, but for $40 policy on a $3000 bike, ill try it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hopefully i never get ripped off by a tweaker with a penchant for cleanliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

i went ahead and ordered the e1.2, will be ready for pickup tomorrow!
this mf about to go down the cherry creek trail at 15.01mph