Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

alright i have been thinking about getting one of these. i live in california (bay area) and i like to ride my bike. however i am fat and out of shape, so while i can ride in the flat valley just fine, i have a hard time climbing some of the steep hills that lead into more enjoyable rides. i want a pedal-assist bike that makes me feel like i am riding a regular bike except i am superman, not a throttle like a motorcycle. what brands should i be looking at? what are the quality differences at various price points?

your comment about the e-bike turning your ride from 15 miles into 20 miles kinda worries me. i have higher hopes for it than that. riding an extra 5 miles on my regular bike is just a matter of sucking it up, but i want something that will open up whole new rides to me. the road i live on is something like an 8% grade for 2 or 3 miles. will i suddenly be able to climb this?

I'm in the bay area also and yes, you will feel like a superman with just about any e-bike. You'll be able to climb any road if you have a decent motor, and you'll improve your fitness as you ride more and get stronger because you'll turn down the assist to conserve battery when it doesn't feel hard.

That said, what bike do you currently ride and what is the gear ratio? You may be able to add a wider cassette to your bike for cheap and make it up those same hills (very slowly) without a motor, if all you want is leisure rides and exercise. I say this as someone who got back into biking not all that long ago and can remember the hills around here seeming impossible at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

my current bike is a surly cross check, on the heavier side because of steel frame and the rack/pannier i have on it. the cassette range is decent but i did add a third chainring in front for climbing steep hills slowly. it's just frustrating to go that slow and i don't have the endurance for some of the climbs.

i did end up ordering a ghost ebike from rei, have a friend who got one and raves about it. will post updates when it's ready!

Check what your front triple's smallest cog size and your rear cassette's largest size is. I'm riding a Surly LHT and despite the low touring gearing I feel like I could use lower especially on what constitutes gravel here (incredibly steep climbs that go on and on and on). Still going to put a motor on my cargo bike, and maybe my wife's bike, which is why I'm following this thread.

edit: Stock rear cassette is 11-32. If you can swap for a wider cassette that goes to 36 or 40 it would probably make a big difference in terms of grinding up the hills.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 22, 2020

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
You should probably pick up a multitool to carry with you if that isn't part of your standard kit. If that happened with my handlebars I would go and check every single part on the bike to make sure it was assembled correctly.