Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm a tall guy and the biggest thing for me on my regular bike was frame size. I destroyed my back on my first few bikes and only resolved it when I specifically tracked down xl frames in the 62 or 63cm range for my last couple.

I'm not sure what to do on an e-bike because frame sizes are more limited. I can go to giant and get a whole range, but a lot of the companies that make e-bikes only have one to two frame sizes. A couple of hours won't tell me about back issues and I don't know enough about how I should fit a more upright frame to be sure about fit on a test ride.

Would I be reasonably safe on a fairly upright frame that isn't as big because the geometry is less sensitive to height than a road bike? Anyone have any experiences like this?

I didn't splurge on a regular bike until I spent a bunch of time on used beaters and knew what I needed. It's not really an option given ebike prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Nah. 6'4", not some seven foot tall guy. Just feeling the back situation more than I was ten years ago!

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Clearly he wants this:

https://wickedthumb.com/

(Also, obviously there are already mopeds and full on electric motorcycles if you actually want that)

T.C. fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 31, 2022

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Single speed just feels like an odd choice for an ebike.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Did both your brakes go out at once?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Is there a reputable source for ebike reviews and information. Ebike youtube seems like one of the most ridiculously captured group of reviewers I've ever seen. Everyone is getting free bikes to keep and seems to have significant relationships with manufacturers. All reviews reviewed by everyone are apparently great

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Anyone have experience with Biktrix? They seem like they're pretty typical Chinese made frames with bafang motors. Seems like they're reasonably priced for torque or dual sensor bikes and there's a shop nearby that I can test drive

(Also they seem to ignore the 500 watt Canadian max)

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Anyone know of an aftermarket battery lock? I've got a radcity and, as I'm sure everyone knows, the radpower bikes have basically identical keys for the battery locks and they can be opened with almost anything. I generally take the battery off, but if like to be able to secure it better. Wrapping something over the battery doesn't seem like it would work because you can just slide it off.

Also want to write in an ignition lock or hide a switch, but I should be able to figure that out

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I have a radcity and mostly like it, but have had to do way more maintenance than I should have to on the breaks.

I wouldn't say it's easy to get serviced though. I figured I might try taking a bike to a shop for maintenance for the first time in my life. Despite having a showroom and service facility in town there's no drop off slots currently available until late September.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
You will literally see companies marketing the exact same bike with different power numbers in different countries with what is likely the same hardware. 500watt can mean 500 watt sustained, peak, or even '750 watt with a software limiter on the controller that we will tell you how to turn off'.

Buying a bike without trying it is basically Russian roulette unless someone you trust has used it. Okay, not Russian roulette but I can't think of a good metaphor right now

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
None of the current generation radpower bikes appear to have Regen breaking (except maybe the radwagon)

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
How fast do they go. If they can go 30 or 35 kph they're likely not going to hugely affect traffic in most cities downtown cores if they just use the normal streets.

I try to avoid riding my ebike outside of bike lanes when I'm downtown, but when I do and go full assist at around 35 I keep up well enough. Cars get mad because you take three seconds later to be at the next stop light, but with a bigger body that takes more space I'd be less concerned.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I've always been worried about wearing locks because it feels like landing on them if you come off the bike would be a good way to break a hip or spine. No idea if that's actually a reasonable fear though.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I honestly think cadence sensor might be better for people who are doing commuter style stuff. It feels less bike-y but you have more control over how much effort you want to put in at a given moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Airconswitch posted:

Blegh, the lens came off the front light on my Generation e1.2 while riding and went god-knows-where. Any suggestions on what I could rig up aside from my current Ziploc bag cover, since I would rather not drop 50 on a full replacement light?

Potentially dumb question, but have you tried emailing them and asking if you can get a lens?