Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It’s pretty easy to replace cables, unless it exploded inside the shifter then it might be a pain to get the old one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just test rode a Benno Boost, seemed really nice. Tried both the class 3 65Nm and 85Nm versions and leaning toward the 85 with the kiddo etc.

Think I’ll check out a Tern GSD/HSD too, but the Benno seemed real nice and the shop is only a few blocks from my house.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Guinness posted:

Just test rode a Benno Boost, seemed really nice. Tried both the class 3 65Nm and 85Nm versions and leaning toward the 85 with the kiddo etc.

Think I’ll check out a Tern GSD/HSD too, but the Benno seemed real nice and the shop is only a few blocks from my house.

Alright, also test rode the Tern GSD, HSD, and Quickhaul and the new Cannondale Cargowagen. Also tried various combinations of Class 1, 3, and a belt drive Enviolo hub. The Enviolo worked better than I imagined it would based on prior experience of "automatic" hubs but I still don't think it's for me.

I dig the Cargowagen a lot, liked it more than the GSD, but both are bigger than I'm looking for right now. If (big if) I need a two kid hauler in a few years I'd come back to it for sure.

I was surprised between the HSD and the QuickHaul that I liked the QuickHaul quite a bit more considering how much cheaper it is. More basic but fewer things to go wrong.

Buuuut I wasn't in love with any of the Terns I don't think. They ride really upright, and feels like you're sitting pretty forward on the bike, like on top of the handlebars. Maybe the test ride adjustment wasn't very well dialed but it was noticeable on all of them. I'm sure you get used to it and maybe it's good for tight urban spaces, but mmmm.

So I dunno, right now the contenders feel like the Boost as the splurge option or the QuickHaul as the cheap option. Both can carry a small kid and some bags no problem but the Boost seems like more fun.

Also seems like the market is in the slow process of switching from Bosch system 2 to system 3, and having ridden both I don't know that I really care much? More than anything it's the computer and software that's different and I don't think I care about connecting an an app and I kind of even prefer the simplicity of the system 2 head unit. Am I going to regret getting a new system 2 bike as it's getting phased out?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 11, 2024

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I do think I'm leaning toward the Quick Haul, a P9 Sport is a hair under $4k out the door kitted out the way I want. A similarly equipped Boost is nearly $6.5k, and doesn't seem to accommodate a frame lock either. Not a deal breaker but a nice feature for daycare/playground parking. Yeah the Boost is an overall nicer bike and more comparable to an HSD, but if the QH fits my uses cases that's a lot of savings and I appreciate the simplicity and lighter weight too. Could almost buy a second bike with the price difference.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 11, 2024

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ordered a Quick Haul wee now to wait a couple weeks for it

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My new Quick Haul dadwagen came in today :getin:. Made short work of the 8mi/500ft ride home. We'll see how it does with the kiddo strapped in this weekend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I like hand signals on the road because it makes me look bigger when sticking my hand out. And I tend to just open-hand point which direction I’m going because I don’t at all trust drivers to understand the right turn signal. Sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I bought a Litelok X1 which supposedly the ceramic layer on it melts your typical angle grinder blade, if the reviews and videos are to be believed. It's not realistic to be grinder-proof but making it take minutes and multiple blades instead of seconds feels like a good inconvenience.

It's basically the same size and only a hair heavier than my ancient (20+ yr) classic Kryptonite U-lock, but surely more secure. It's on top of the cafe lock and chain, which is for more casual situations.