Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Has anyone heard anything about Blix? I'm looking for a sub-$3000 long-tail cargo bike and my options are basically the Blix Packa Genie and Radwagon 4. I'm not thrilled with Rad's use of proprietary wheels and I'm sure they're both using the same geared hub motor. The Packa Genie is a bit new and I see a 2 year old Gen 1 Packa for sale near by in "non working condition" which again has me concerned about longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

SamsCola posted:

Are you just worried about not being able to find replacement tires and tubes later on, with the weird size?

Pretty much, with the dodgy supply chain around I didn't want to wait months for Rad to get a tube or tire in stock where 20", 24", and 26" stuff is relatively easy to find. This e-bike business is a rabbit hole and now I'm looking at rolling my own BBSHD or TSDZ2 build. But that will also put me into the 2-3k realm really, really fast. This is all for school drop-off use because it's a 20% grade for most of the route and I can barely cut it with gravel bike + tow-a-bike.

Plus, all the other cool dads are riding RadRunner Pluses.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I can’t tell where that is because it only makes the noise when I’m going really fast on it. It doesn’t make the noise when I hold the rear wheel up by the seat and apply the throttle, only when I’m on it. I’m not certain I would feel comfortable trying to true it either.

Does that math work out that the centrifugal* force at speed plus your weight on the bike could deflect the spokes enough to warp the wheel and then cause rubbing? Maybe the wheel just needs a good truing/spoke tightening?

*Fight me

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Finally received our Blix Packa Genie that we ordered back in the summer that was sitting off the coast of Long Beach for 2 months and then mired in FedEx hell.

My wife, who has always begrudged riding, has become addicted to it. With the rear child carrier we even managed to load up all three kids (7, 5, 3) in the back and the 9lb puppy in the front basket. Truly a game changer for getting around town. Previously my wife always joked about getting a golf cart but now she's preaching the ebike gospel to everyone who comments on it.

Now I get to analog pedal behind them and try to keep up like some sort of chump.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Want to order a pair of electric bikes for my wife and I

Would you consider a heavy as hell cargo bike, the Blix Packa Genie? We've cut back on a lot of carpool school runs with ours but this guy is using his for beach runs and seems to be doing okay with it.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Cargo E-Bike Report. In the last month of Blix Packa Genie ownership we've put on just shy of 200 miles mostly doing school runs, UPS store runs, and play dates. My wife has been exceptionally surprised with how much fun she has on it. She always harbored dreams of a golf cart but now realizes that the bike can go a lot more places and often just as quickly as a car. Playground runs mean she is often the center of attention with a pup riding up front, 3 kids on the back just breezing along with me struggling to keep up on my gravel bike. Guess that means it is time for (e)n+1, right?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

We have the Packa Genie and have put around 1500 miles on it during the last year--mostly for daily school runs and park trips. The dual battery version is absolutely required to help it get up hills when carrying passengers. Unfortunately it does require almost constant tinkering to keep it running as it eats brake pads (we live among decent hills), the stock stem is trash and got an OEM replacement before I finally went aftermarket. The rear wheel also throws spokes and tension has to be checked weekly otherwise you'll get a nice "PING" when one decides to spontaneously abandon ship.

That said, it completes the ~2 mi round-trip school run (with 8% outbound gradient) in about 6-7 minutes versus an easy 15-20 minute trip spent sitting in traffic.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The only ones that immediately come to mind with that longer range (and for shorter heights) are the Blix Dubbel (with dual onboard batteries) and the Aventon Soltera (with a second/third battery that you'll have to swap in). While I own a Blix Packa Genie cargo bike I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love the cargo bike utility but it is a maintenance queen with rear spokes breaking constantly under weight and cheap components (stem, specifically).

Aventon owns their own factory and can seemingly do higher quality for similar costs as other brands. If/when I get a second ebike I'd likely go with them.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

For Grumpwagon, does anyone have experience with Juiced? I've seen them around but their CrossCurrent in theory has a 60-80 mile range. That may work out.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Boards also provide more protection in case the bike drops. Saved my wife a few times when a kid shifted on a hill when they shouldn’t have.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

I can still vouch for the pace 500.2, I just hit 700 miles on it. I know I'm overdue on that writeup, I'll get to it soon

Please do, everything I've seen said Aventon uses their self-owned factory to raise quality versus being a glorified reseller of other frames and components but it would be nice to hear that confirmed.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

cinnamon rollout posted:

I have an event on aventure and I love it, I also have a disabled seven year old who really wants to ride in the burley bee trailer I bought for him, but he won't keep his feet inside and he won't let me enclose the trailer. I was thinking about some sort of extension for the tow arm, but I'm having trouble finding a product for this... Anyone have advice? I don't want to jack up my son's foot on the rear wheel!

Some simple bar stock could extend the arm reasonably easily--I had to do something like that to clear the running boards on my cargo bike to attach a Thule. Held up towing two kids until they got too big to fit in there.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Paint? And it’s matched?

This thread is too rich for my blood.

Oddly the bike (Blix Packa Genie) just happens to be a close match to a leftover can of “we swear it’s not Craftsman” grey Krylon.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Since you're US-based I feel like this would be the perfect spot for the REI e1.1 or e1.2. They're definitely on the heavy side for someone 5'0", and I have doubts about their long-term support (spare battery/motor even though they're Bafang-branded) but for near and medium term nothing beats having REI either take it back or deal with it in their bike shop.

Sure they don't have OEM fenders (but you're in Texas) and they're likely not great in the wet (but you're in Texas) and the battery won't go far (a novice rider at level 1-2 assist for a few miles is perfect) but they're a great intro to the ebike concept.

My mother-in-law got one, and despite immediately falling over because she doesn't understand starting on an incline, she still loves the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

theratking posted:

Thanks! When you say e1.1/e1.2 do you mean the CTY or Generation model? They look quite different.

Oh, sorry, the Generation models, forgot they still did the CTY.