Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does anyone here have familiarity with this bike?

https://www.rei.com/product/189966/co-op-cycles-cty-e11-electric-bike

Our needs as a family are pretty basic - just something to get up and down the small hill that we live on to the city center for parks/short errands/etc. Not a commuter bike or daily driver. Hoping to tow a Burley Bee behind this, which I believe is possible based on combing through that one website that sells adapters (can't recall what it's called at the moment).

Wanted to check out the options at RadPower near our house, but have seen enough groans about them in this thread to be scared off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

CopperHound posted:

I haven't ridden that specific one, but I have ridden the small wheel cargo version. There is some basic torque sensing that does make the assistance feel more natural than cadence based pedal assist.

I generally would recommend REI for most people looking for a sub $1800 ebike.

There are faster budget e bikes with bigger batteries out there, but it is rare to find one that doesn't have a major design flaw or poor build quality.

Also, this one is 2/3 the weight of a rad power bike.

E: it does have a 42t chainring. That is good for me, but mashers might find that too small. It isn't a big deal to change if you feel like you're spinning too fast.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, we had looked at the small wheel version as well because REI is clearing out stock of them and they can be had for like $900, but this seemed more in our (heh) wheelhouse. Top end speed is not a concern honestly.