Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I have an e-JOE Epik SE.

Don't mind the 28" wheels haphazardly strapped to the cargo rack with homemade hemp rope and a bungee cord that I was transporting for a friend.

I mainly got it to be able to play Pokemon GO within a particular area and lets me get around more quickly than walking and avoids dealing with the inconvenience of driving around, trying to find parking and still needing to get out and walk those last several yards to get to my location. Obviously I don't play while riding; this is just to get me around though I will stop if something interesting shows up hence the disc brakes.

I wanted something electric so I can have a cheat mode if I need to get somewhere fast, especially up a hill, and I wanted a folding bike so I can store it inside my car instead of having to deal with bike racks and it lets me always have it where ever I drive. (I do take the battery out and either store it in an insulated bag or take it out of the car with me at the end of the day so that I don't cook it.) The fact that it's electric does help with some of the shortcomings of a folding bike with small wheels like limited gearing and the inability to power through corners lest the pedals strike the ground. The latter still gets me from time to time as I got it last fall.

For the most part, I don't use the motor or power assist since it's generally flat in my part of NJ and I would like to able to burn some calories while I'm at it. Also, it lets me conserve the battery until I really need it. It's supposedly good for 30-40 miles or something like that but I've never pushed it past it's limits. The closest that I have was taking it on the shoreline portion of the Henry Hudson Trail in both directions which is about 12 miles each way and I remember the battery coming close to empty using just the lowest power assist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I can only speak for Bosch electronics, but they should be okay. That is to say, I skimmed through the warranty and the manual. They don't reference any kind of water ingress rating, but they do discuss wet weather riding and how you should go slower to not crash. I've ridden in light rain a couple of times with no ill effects, but I keep the bike in my apartment.

The general gist of what most people say is it's fine to ride in the rain, but maybe cover up the display with a plastic bag to keep water from getting under the screen or in the buttons. Other than that, standard bike stuff like making sure your chain is clean and lubed and so forth.

The Henry Hudson Trail looks like a lot of fun! There's a ferry from Manhattan that could drop me off in Atlantic Heights. I might have to do that when it gets a little cooler this fall.

I've also been wanting to ride parts of the Delaware and Raritan Canal trail. It runs from New Brunswick down to Trenton. It's 70 miles, so longer than my bike's range, but it might be interesting to think about bringing a charger with me to try to add some range during a lunch break.

https://www.traillink.com/trail/delaware-and-raritan-canal-state-park-trail/

Yeah, the shoreline portion is nice. Granted you only see the shore for 1.5 miles and only that stretch in the northern terminus but you do pass through a number of marshes so it's not all biking past everyone's backyard. I live in Aberdeen and the trail heads is only a couple miles from me so I can bike to either portion of the trail without having to drive my car.

One of these days I want to bike the entirety of the southern portion. I've actually jogged about 2.25 miles down from the northern end and it was dreadfully dull and you get scorched by the sun since it's paralleled by high tension power lines for most of that length. At least it'll go by faster on the bike.

I should also get around ride the shoreline portion again with as little power assist as I can get away with and make it all the way to Sandy Hook.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I did a thing today.

Southern end of the Henry Hudson Trail in Freehold.

The furthest north you can get to in Sandy Hook on a bike trail.

My end to end trek on the Henry Hudson Trail.

My total ride today started in Aberdeen (next town over West of Hazlet) going down the trail to Freehold, then Northward to Atlantic Highlands, walk to Sandy Hook from there to take a break from riding for so long, and then back on the bike through Sandy Hook. All of that was effectively without power assist (really only used it as a boost start after waiting at intersections) and boy are my legs feeling it. I jog about 6km five to seven times a week so I was not expecting it to get that bad. I was definitely grateful for the power assist on the trek home. It's also why I didn't end up taking any other pictures because I was pooped by the end of Sandy Hook.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

How often do you all go through tubes? I just had my ride on the Henry Hudson Trail cut short because the tube on the rear powered wheel literally popped. And this is the second time I've had the rear tube fail and I've only had the bike for less than a year. The front tube is still original. I've never had tube failures this frequent. I wonder if it's because of the extra mass of the motor, the small diameter of the tire, the lack of a rear suspension so the tire takes the full brunt of the weight of myself and the battery, or a combination of those.

At least I have a spare tube which I was intending to use for the front when it fail.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 5, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Whelp. I think I found my problem.

So much for that brand new tube. :negative:

According to the bike's odometer, I've gone about 350 miles on these tires and the front tube. Is that considered normal? On the other hand, the tread on both tires are pretty bare so I think it may be time to replace both.

Also, any recommendations for tires?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 7, 2020

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's inside that tumor?

Try various Marathon options going all the way the Marathon Plus.

Oh that's just the brand new inner tube trying to become an outer tube and getting chewed up by the wheel rim and exposed chords in the tire. :emo:

At least it was a slow leak so I was able to get some additional distance thanks to my hand pump. However by the time I discovered that the tube was trying to escape, I was already 12 miles into the Henry Hudson Trail and the leak had gotten so bad that I could barely go for a mile after pumping to at least 40 psi so I had to call in my roommate again to pick me up. At least this time I was able to get some good distance. I only got 3 miles before the tube literally popped when I rode on the trail on Saturday. Left a nice big old hole that probably can't be patched.

I think combination of age, high loads on the rear wheel, and all those loving roots creating these nasty, sharp speed bumps in the pavement (especially the sections in Belford and Leonardo) is probably killed the tire this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

not gonna lie, my crank opinion is that fat-tire / chopper / SUV-lite ebikes are dumb, wasteful, and overpriced. the best ebikes very closely resemble normal mountain bikes, city bikes, cargo bikes, or touring bikes.

So what does this count as? :ohdear:

Oh yeah, I guess new e-bike report. After bouts of bad luck with tires and tubes and generally being uncomfortable for very long rides (between the stiff seat, lack of rear suspension, and the mass of the rear hub motor accentuating jolts to the rear wheel, in addition to not a big fan of the thumb throttle), I've replaced the e-Joe with Lectric's new XPremium bike. I specifically picked it for the mid-drive motor, twist-grip throttle, and opting for the comfort seat option to address the issues I had with the e-Joe plus it feels a lot more sturdy and well built. Overall, it has made a world of difference taking this thing on the Henry Hudson Trail to Sandy Hook. However, I was not expecting it to feel that much more heavy than the e-Joe going from 44 lbs to 75 lbs. I haven't tried to put the Lectric in my car and I'm not sure I would want to.

Even though I just bought a brand new toy, I've also been looking into even more compact e-bike or e-scooter options for taking the train as train station is only 1.25 miles from me. In fact, with a compact bike/scooter, I could take feasibly take the train to work. It's on the same train line (Aberdeen-Matawan to Manasquan) but it does require transferring trains at Long Branch since that's as far as New York-originating trains tend to go. As a result, a one-way trip ends up being about 1.25 hour commute instead of half an hour and I spend about $20 on tickets round-trip instead of roughly $14 in gas and tolls (and that's the worst case scenario with my gas-guzzling Subaru Forester XT and $6/gal premium gas). And while work is only 2.5 miles from Manasquan station, Manasquan station is a ground-level station with no handicap access so getting the bike down is an adventure and getting it onto the train is a non-starter. Fortunately, the next station over is handicap accessible and only adds a 10 minute ride from Manasquan station (ticket price fortunately remains the same) but that's not ideal if I were to do this somewhat consistently. I've actually taken the Lectric to and from work while diagnosing an oil leak in my Subaru that was significant enough that I wasn't comfortable driving it. As noted, the additional time and money doesn't make sense to do this outright (and I do hybrid work with enough flexibility to temporarily work full-time remote as needed) but at least I have it as an emergency option when the Subaru breaks down again. However, I definitely need something that is small and light enough to trumble up and down the steps of the train.

For reference, this is what I have to contend with getting up and down the train.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_V#/media/File:Port_Jervis_Train_at_Harriman.jpg

Except the platform isn't even slightly raised; it's gravel.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1211798,-74.047404,3a,15y,204.16h,88.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svcPFJh76wtOkTC78GsxHlQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192