Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I don't know if you know this but a front porch is also outside. I like to brew some tea, sit on my front porch and watch the rain fall. Very relaxing. Sometimes I'll play some video games or post while doing so.

What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy your porch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sometimes I just like to sit on my porch and watch people go by living their lives while I chill. Its a good time.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

We have a bunch of bird-feeders, bird-baths, and bird-houses in our front yard, and on cooler weekend days we'll go out and sit on the front porch with binoculars and watch the birds do bird-stuff. We had some Orioles come through and build a nest in a tree by our driveway, so we spent a better part of a month trying to spy on the babies as they grew up. Drinking a Blue Moon or three and watching birds splash around is certainly not the worst way to spend a Sunday.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have a little back porch for now, but part of it is taken up by two compost bins. Still enough room for two folding chairs to drink beers on though.

My future house plans are to have a big lanai / outdoor living and dining room.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's actually pretty good op.
I like to sit and have a staring contest with my neighbors horse.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't have a porch but I do have a balcony with a lot of plants on it. It's very nice to sit out there and drink coffee, or beer

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

I got a nice old timey southern wrap around porch. It goes around one side and the front of my house. It also has fans. It is p. nice.

I like to watch the people going in and out of the convince store/gas station across the street.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone have any good recommendations for bird feeders? They need to be as squirrel proof as possible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh gently caress this is a thread my goony rear end can contribute to! Im doing admin poo poo on my porch right now!

Drinking beer! Next to my pepper plants!

Porch lyfe

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

back porch crew checking in

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for bird feeders? They need to be as squirrel proof as possible.

As much as I hate it when squirrels spill the bird seed everywhere, Id rather feed them than spend a bunch of money on a fancy feeder just to feed house sparrows and starlings

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Always stumped on my stoop. Deez days what with the and flibber flather.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
Dont have a front porch but my deck in the back is p nice

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I just moved and while my balcony is garbage and never gets any sun or breeze, I do have a cool roof deck-thing with a gas hook up for a grill and speakers that I've yet to figure out how to use!

Y'all can parachute in anytime.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh gently caress this is a thread my goony rear end can contribute to! Im doing admin poo poo on my porch right now!

Drinking beer! Next to my pepper plants!

Porch lyfe

I know it is tasty but please don't drink anti-labor beer. Richard Yuengling Jr. is a piece of poo poo guillotine fodder.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm sitting on my patio, drinking a hard seltzer because I'm white. Can I post here?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gravitee posted:

I'm sitting on my patio, drinking a hard seltzer because I'm white. Can I post here?

Why do you use being white as a reason for doing anything?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I know it is tasty but please don't drink anti-labor beer. Richard Yuengling Jr. is a piece of poo poo guillotine fodder.

Could you please list pro-labor beers for my drinking purposes

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Many of them say UNION MADE right on the can! Otherwise support small breweries, please and thank you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i used to have a third-floor balcony that overlooked a wildlife preserve and i loved it. a half-dozen species at the feeders at any time. now my view sucks and there are no birds

sometimes i dream of having a full wraparound porch in a little house on the great plains

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Big patio fan here. Switched the bird food in my feeders and now deer show up to eat the cracked corn the birds sling all over the place because birds are assholes. I watch all of this from my patio, usually sitting. It's a good time, highly recommended.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
I'm building a deck this weekend, I want to be porch sitting so bad. As it is I just have a beach chair in my patchy lawn. Wish me luck w my construction

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Bug zapper. Yep.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have the lumber to build a new porch but I haven't yet. Soon...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
can decks play too?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I like the look of your deck sir. I too would enjoy relaxing on it.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

can decks play too?

I like your deck railings and the general grey/blue aesthetic. It looks really sharp. I work in telecom construction so I see a lot of new home styles when developments are being built, and yours always seems to be less popular but stands out very nicely.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

PokeJoe posted:

I don't have a porch but I do have a balcony with a lot of plants on it. It's very nice to sit out there and drink coffee, or beer

Same.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Our porch is tiny but this is the view from our bedroom balcony:

The sunsets are amazing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Where I live, porches are best used for checking out how far along the spiders are in taking over the house.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I have a hummingbird feeder.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I grew up in North Carolina and moved to NYC and it hurts my soul to not have a porch. So I turned my fire escape into one!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ClumsyThief posted:

I like your deck railings and the general grey/blue aesthetic. It looks really sharp. I work in telecom construction so I see a lot of new home styles when developments are being built, and yours always seems to be less popular but stands out very nicely.

Thank you :)
I wanted it to blend nicely and look like a part of the house. I modeled it up with wood and then some of the other Trex finishes they had to offer but none of it looked quite right.
It's a great spot to hang out but gets sun almost all day which is tough in the summer because it gets HOT (hence the gaudy purple canopy.)
I was looking to get an awning but because of where the sun hits it, the awning wouldn't do anything, or would have to extend so far past the edge of the deck that it would be impractical.
Now I'm looking into sail shades like these:

https://www.wayfair.com/eJoy--Sun-20-x-16-Rectangle-Shade-Sail-sun2016feetshade-1pc-L6989-K~EJOY8252.html
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LFYCLVS/ref=twister_B07NXPL4B4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

...but I kind of missed the boat on all the good ones. Amazon had a huge selection a month ago and Costco even had a nice one but a lot of them are gone and I'm still having a hard time picking one.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Anchor Brewing's workforce just unionized late last year!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The view outside my family's back porch: yes I know that's an overgrown pool we haven't figured out what we'll do with it yet, and dad's busier cleaning up the barn.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

can decks play too?

Ooh, I dig your couch thing. How much was it? Do you have issues with bugs/spiders colonizing the cushions?

I've got a nice big deck too (and my computer/etc room opens onto it :3:), I've been hanging out there reading when it's not too hot (or wet)
I also have a small (side) porch but I haven't used it much yet :(

StrixNebulosa posted:

The view outside my family's back porch: yes I know that's an overgrown pool we haven't figured out what we'll do with it yet, and dad's busier cleaning up the barn.
Looks like a good place to plant your stoloniferous plants that you don't want escaping!

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

My front porch is my favorite place.

lamb fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2020

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

showbiz_liz posted:

I grew up in North Carolina and moved to NYC and it hurts my soul to not have a porch. So I turned my fire escape into one!

Nice to see very urban porch lovers representing itt. Proving everyone can try a bite of The Great Outdoors, no matter where you live. Also, impressive array of pots! I love the colors, your apartment must be packed when you bring them in for the winter

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm back on my porch and kicking myself I didn't photograph the hummingbird in time! But if you look closely you can see my pooch exploring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sprue posted:

Nice to see very urban porch lovers representing itt. Proving everyone can try a bite of The Great Outdoors, no matter where you live. Also, impressive array of pots! I love the colors, your apartment must be packed when you bring them in for the winter

All of the ones on the railing are herbs, and I'm gonna harvest rather than overwinter those. But actually last year I had maybe 20 plants total, the year before that I had 5. This year I have what you see on the balcony there plus this:

So yeah I am gonna try to overwinter some of the larger herbs and maybe hot peppers from the roof, but I don't know how many I can keep alive inside! Only so many windows.