Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
All you Americans freak out about Australia's creepy crawlies but a lot of you appear to be having issues with spiders and wasps. We have none of these problems Down Under with our decks.

I must say though, American houses/architecture are amazing. I'm also super jealous of all the sun I'm seeing.

Side note, how is property so drat cheap in the US? As a result of this thread I've just gone down a rabbit hole of google stalking a bunch of people who I stayed with when I visited the US 15 years ago. One of my mates lived in Upper St Clair in Pittsburgh, which according to Wikipedia is "one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Pittsburgh" and the house prices are 300k! Amazing. I can't get a modest 3 bed house an hour out of my capital city for under a million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Looten Plunder posted:

All you Americans freak out about Australia's creepy crawlies but a lot of you appear to be having issues with spiders and wasps. We have none of these problems Down Under with our decks.

I must say though, American houses/architecture are amazing. I'm also super jealous of all the sun I'm seeing.

Side note, how is property so drat cheap in the US? As a result of this thread I've just gone down a rabbit hole of google stalking a bunch of people who I stayed with when I visited the US 15 years ago. One of my mates lived in Upper St Clair in Pittsburgh, which according to Wikipedia is "one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in Pittsburgh" and the house prices are 300k! Amazing. I can't get a modest 3 bed house an hour out of my capital city for under a million.

It depends entirely where you're looking. Many cities in the US are outrageously expensive. A "starter" single family home in my area (Washington, DC suburbs) starts at about $550,000 for a house built in the 1960s.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

me your dad posted:

It depends entirely where you're looking. Many cities in the US are outrageously expensive. A "starter" single family home in my area (Washington, DC suburbs) starts at about $550,000 for a house built in the 1960s.

Australians only live in roughly 6 cities despite possessing oodles of land so theres not enough places for there to be an "undesirable" place to live where they can get Midwestern land prices.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eventually of course people who moved to the Northeast/West Coast cities to follow their dreams completely burn out, get on-line, and realize they're willing to put up with living in the midwest if it means they own a 200k house or pay 700 in rent, and move here en masse and then land's not cheap anymore.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

me your dad posted:

$550k is pretty cheap for Oz. Last time I checked about 6 years ago the median was about $600k+

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

me your dad posted:

A "starter" house in Falls Church is a million bucks.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Outrail posted:

$550k is pretty cheap for Oz. Last time I checked about 6 years ago the median was about $600k+

Aussie dollars are only worth 70% of an American one. That would be like 800k-ish in dollarydoos.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Aussie dollars are only worth 70% of an American one. That would be like 800k-ish in dollarydoos.

Well, that was back when we had more or less parity.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I think this might be something to do with it, but not so much "they are worth less" but more "we earn more of them". Like, I work in a government owned call centre and earn $70k and minimum wage is something like $11ph.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

On our tiny porch with the cattes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Everyone still using their porches? I got a tabletop grill for use on my balcony

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I gave my porch a makeover and bought a new custom cushion for my porch swing, two throw pillows, a rug, and a coffee table. Now my porch is basically a second living room and I drink coffee and play Animal Crossing out there every morning.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 6, 2020

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

vonnegutt posted:

I gave my porch a makeover and bought a new custom cushion for my porch swing, two throw pillows, a rug, and a coffee table. Now my porch is basically a second living room and I drink coffee and play Animal Crossing out there every morning.

That's a nice classic porch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PokeJoe posted:

Everyone still using their porches? I got a tabletop grill for use on my balcony

We got dumped on the last few days because of the hurricane, but it was nice and sunny today so I put the water table out and let the kid play while I worked from home.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Our deck needs a good power washing. Haven't been out on it much because it's been too hot of late. During the summer I'm only out there when I'm using the grill. It gets more use in the spring and fall and is a nice place to sit and drink a beer.

Furniture could possibly use replacing. The table got a huge dent in one side when the umbrella Mary Poppins'd the motherfucker off the edge during a storm.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 6, 2020

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks like a nice space. Ever thought about some potted plants? Mine attract butterflies and hummingbirds up which give me more reason to dick around out there

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

It is! I tried growing tomatoes on it one summer years back but they weren't doing so great as there's a ton of shade. That was probably 6 or 7 years ago and the trees around have only gotten taller since. When we first moved in we were able to see the second floor of our neighbors house. Veggies are definitely out. But come to think of it we have had some luck with fuchsia and impatiens hanging from baskets underneath the deck. They'd probably be fine on it.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Quiet Feet posted:

there's a ton of shade.
Ferns? :allears:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Quiet Feet posted:

It is! I tried growing tomatoes on it one summer years back but they weren't doing so great as there's a ton of shade. That was probably 6 or 7 years ago and the trees around have only gotten taller since. When we first moved in we were able to see the second floor of our neighbors house. Veggies are definitely out. But come to think of it we have had some luck with fuchsia and impatiens hanging from baskets underneath the deck. They'd probably be fine on it.

Plant a passion fruit vine, it'll probably do okay, make everything green and you'll have passion fruit for days.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Epic thunderstorm last night. I sat on my porch with a rum and sprite and watched the storm while bullshitting on the fishing discord. Good times.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Porching last night:

My pooch spent a lot of time chasing snakes and frogs under the house, until he finally decided it was time to come in - even though I wasn't done reading.

(ignore the mess we're working on it)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

No no! Sitting on a porch, not a pooch! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
sat on my deck for a couple hours last night drinking beers after dark. sucks having to listen to crotch rockets tearing up and down the highway in the distance, but at least the weather was nice and cool and the bugs werent too bad