Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm super stoked too, congrats to everyone on the hunt, it sounds like it was a great day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

C/P of my recap from the TFR hunting thread.

11 years ago I met a stranger from the internet at the end of a dirt road outside Kankakee, Illinois to try hunting for the first real time - enter Flatland Crusoe. We both had shotguns, it was 4AM in the relative middle of nowhere, what could go wrong? I had wandered around in the woods with a .22 looking for squirrels once before, but this was the first time I'd be going with someone who, presumably, knew what they were doing. Despite being unable to pull borrowed waders much past my knees, being ill-equipped for the elements and only getting one or two missed opportunities at taking a shot at ducks I was hooked.

Since then we've hunted whitetail, turkeys, ducks, squirrels, mule deer and elk across the country in a mentor-mentee relationship that predates formal R3 initiatives, or at least before we were aware of them. It's been an eye-opening experience getting first hand experience in a pursuit that I had no immediate or really even distant family members to learn from.

Sitting in that duck blind the very first time meeting we talked about all sorts of game to pursue, one in particular being Antilocapra americana. Whether known by the American antelope, speed goat or pronghorn, this critter embodies the American West. It is so uniquely North American that not only is it the only species of its kind that made it out of the Pleistocene but its closest living relatives are very distant cousins the Giraffe. Since the extinction of the American cave lion, the adult pronghorn lacks any significant predators aside from humans as they are the fastest land animal on the continent topping 55 miles per hour, though cougars, wolves, coyotes, grizzlies, golden eagles and bobcats will prey on them (particularly fawns) when they can catch them. Nothing will send chills down your spine like a bugling bull elk, but the pronghorn is the welcome wagon of the west, likely being the first critter you see traveling into the Great Plains, Rocky Mountains and sagebrush flats west of the Mississippi.

Our first trip west was in 2014 where we hunted pronghorn in northeast Wyoming in what is ostensibly a pretty undesirable unit. However, there are pronghorn probably in almost every square mile of Wyoming that is below 9,000 feet and we hiked our asses off while filling a buck and doe tag each. We instantly knew we'd be returning to the west as often as we could. His write up from the trip: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474554&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63#post435837627
Mine a few weeks later after getting married: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474554&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=67#post436899146

Since then, we've been building points while hunting a few other times in Wyoming on 2nd choice or leftover tags for pronghorn. Earlier this year we decided to swing for the fences and put in for what should be (and was) a guaranteed draw on a good unit on the edges of the Red Desert. We couldn't get a true Red Desert tag, which are some of the most desirable, due to perpetually being a point or two behind in the draw. Preference points are worthless if you never use them, so we did. We took a friend of Flatland's one year, I took my cousin once and in 2020 he and I took a mutual friend but this year our group application included my mentor's mentor, Flatland's dad.

The three of us booked our flights, an Airbnb and rental Jeep and met at Denver International Airport last Wednesday night. Apropos of nothing, a guy in the row in front of me did cryptography puzzles the whole flight and with his inward facing wristwatch had me playing out the fantasy in my head that he was some kind of retired government spook.

Right off the bat we had a brief hiccup with Enterprise, first a 4 door Wrangler that wouldn't start then a substituted soft top Wrangler that was just not going to be a great choice for our trip, they offered a Jeep Gladiator that we gladly accepted. Later it would be dubbed the Goat Wagon. We drove to Longmont, Colorado and grabbed a hotel for the night. The next morning we continued north to our destination outside Rawlins in south central Wyoming.

With far more experience, better gear and a well researched game plan we set out to scout the afternoon and evening once we dumped our gear at the Airbnb cabin.

We started seeing pronghorn pretty quickly and marked dozens of waypoints on OnX. The unit had been hit hard by winter kills a few years ago and numbers were down from what we expected, but there were bucks to be found. Many were small to average size and only a handful approaching 'big' in comparison to some surrounding units. We made particular note of the bigger bucks and hoped that we could relocate them once the season opened on Saturday.

After getting the lay of the land we returned to the cabin for dinner courtesy of Trader Joe's and got some sleep.

The next morning we started scouting at sunrise and checked out another chunk of the unit.

After a few hours we went into town for a hot breakfast and then returned to some BLM land to get Flatland's dad some additional time behind a rifle. While he's been hunting for probably over 40 years, he has almost exclusively hunted turkeys and ducks. He'd never been on a big game hunt for even deer until this trip. Flatland had a couple of range sessions with him prior to the trip but there's no substitute for shooting in field conditions. We set up a target with a safe backstop and got in some prone and sitting supported practice using tripods and shooting sticks.

Before it got too late we hit the two tracks again and scouted another section of the unit, after which resulted in us getting eyes on the vast majority of likely pronghorn habitat available and had us pretty comfortable that we'd be able to relocate a few bucks in the morning.

Opening morning we were up and dressed well before shooting time. Our first stop was only a 5 minute drive from the cabin and 30-45 minute hike by red headlamp to get set up on a hillside overlooking an area we had seen many pronghorn the two days prior.

Just as the sun was coming up I spotted a buck and doe headed our way. Flatland and I were both in agreement that his dad had first shot at anything we came across, much to his insistence otherwise. The only stipulation was that we were trying to keep his dad's potential shot opportunities under 200 yards if at all possible, as he wasn't nearly as comfortable with longer range shots as we were. With the buck quickly approaching but briefly obscured by the terrain, we got into position.

This buck, young and curious, presented a perfect shot opportunity at less than 100 yards and with one shot he dropped instantly.

Too fast to have been captured on camera I spotted another buck, much larger than the first. Flatland and I both moved into position to try and make a shot. I tried to get steady off my glassing tripod but at approximately 275 yards he was just too far for me to take a shot with minimal support. Flatland had moved slightly higher up onto a plateau and was able to get prone on a bipod with a good shot. Within the first 20 minutes of legal shooting light we had two of three tags filled.

We quartered up Flatland's dad's buck then moved on to Flatland's.

Flatland packed up both he and his dad's meat and we set off on the extremely difficult 1000 yard every so slightly downhill pack out. A welcome change of pace from some previous trips.

We got back to the cabin to stick the meat in the fridge and have some quick lunch before returning to the field to try and fill my remaining tag.

We headed back out to a spot where we saw one of the biggest bucks in the unit two days prior. Hopeful that he was still hanging around we started a slow and methodical hike around a couple of hillsides to try and glass likely areas they might be grazing or bedded down. I stowed the camera in favor of a rifle in my hands. We spotted a doe that quickly disappeared into a valley and we worked around a plateau to try and see if there were any others below. I was slowly making my way over the crest of the hill, taking a few steps, glassing, taking a few more steps when Flatland or his dad, I forget which, both as loudly and as quietly as possible called out that he spotted a pronghorn. I glassed up a doe bedded down on the hillside across from me. I sat down and watched her for a couple of minutes. She eventually stood up and stared straight at me for what seemed like eternity. She wasn't spooked, but was just unsure of what she might see across the valley. I was cautiously optimistic that she wasn't alone and there may be a buck nearby. Sure enough, another curious young buck poked his head over the crest of the hill that the doe was on and made his way closer to see what was up. As I'm watching the buck make his way closer and closer to me Flatland calls out again. Another buck is behind and to the left of me and closing in fast. On a mission, this buck is on a full trot to end up crossing right in front of me. I quickly move up to a flat spot on the hilltop, take a quick rangefinder read about where I think he's going to cross over the hilltop and prone out with my bipod. I range 135 yards where I think he will appear and with a 200 yard zero only need to settle behind the rifle and wait. I see him appear at the edge of the hilltop plateau and take a few steps. Frequently pronghorn will take in their surroundings while high on top of hills, sky-lined in what seems to be behavior antithetical to survival until you remember they can outrun anything on the landscape. Fortunately for me he does stop and I am able to squeeze off a shot that lands right through the lungs and rib cage. With him quartered towards me slightly it's a near perfect shot and he only turns and runs maybe 20 yards before expiring.

We quarter up my buck and quickly carry the meat back to the Jeep as it begins to lightly rain. By the time we get back to the cabin it will have been barely 12 hours from the beginning of the hunt to having all three tags filled. While we had high hopes for the trip it was an incredible success thanks in part to Flatland's and my experience and planning after 8 years of western hunting but also the 35 years of experience growing up hunting with his dad, absent that likely means I'd have ended up down the rabbit hole of some other hobby.

The next day we deboned all the meat, zip lock bagged it and put it in the freezer to get it cold enough to travel. We rebooked flights for a day earlier than anticipated, skinned out the skulls for euro mounts and then drove to the divey-est dive bar in all of Wyoming for a cheeseburger and Budweiser.

We tried to get the sheaths off the skulls to help make for a smaller package to fly with, but only succeeded with one in the time we had available.

A trip to Walmart for bubble wrap and shrink wrap got things protected and sealed up enough to stick under our pack lids to get through TSA, grab an airport beer and carry on our flights.

Both of us flew meat back in Yeti Hopper M30s which proved to be worth every penny. Not only is it easier to handle than a hard sided cooler when flying but even though we packed the coolers at 5AM on Monday morning when I opened up mine tonight, Tuesday at 9PM the meat was still mostly frozen solid in the center, some pieces even frosty.

I portioned out everything, plastic wrapped, butcher paper wrapped then stuck in my chest freezer to be ready for a meal soon.

I'll probably break out my first batch for an upcoming Learn to Hunt event here in IL so new adult hunters can get a taste of the wild west. Just like Flatland's dad to Flatland and Flatland to me, I have been trying to help mentor others new to hunting since I became comfortable enough myself. It's incredibly rewarding to help others find success in the field and it was a great experience to help pay that back to the mentor of a mentor on this trip.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

As I mentioned in the other thread, I love your photography and write ups and am super pleased that everything went so smoothly and well for the trip.

You and Flatland are both great mentors and I appreciate seeing you both succeed. It's especially sweet to see the father-son duo so happy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Help me hunt squirrels. How do I find them? I am going into hardwood forests around 10AM, and slowly walking. Don’t see any squirrels at all. Should I get a squirrel call whistle? There are acorns all over the ground, where the hell are they

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pron on VHS posted:

Help me hunt squirrels. How do I find them? I am going into hardwood forests around 10AM, and slowly walking. Don’t see any squirrels at all. Should I get a squirrel call whistle? There are acorns all over the ground, where the hell are they

From my experience you need to sit still for ~20 minutes or so, and then the squirrels start popping out everywhere. 10am might also be a bit late, depending on the time of year.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pron on VHS posted:

In TN I would get out at sunrise or a bit before and sit in a good looking spot for 10-20 minutes. See squirrels and shoot, or don't but hear them "oh I think 100 yards west" and I'd walk over that way and sit again for 20 min or more, now the squirrels come out because you're being quiet and you shoot them in the head with your scoped 22 (in my case).

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

This thread is nearly dead so I'm gonna attempt necromancy by posting this corned venison that we made because it was great

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So could I get that corned venison recipe? Because thats amazing.

Also, I finally got out to New Mexico's unit 34 to try my hand at Aoudad hunting. Ive wanted to try this hunt for a long while now but information on it is pretty scarce. From what Ive gathered so far there are definitely sheep in the area and its very huntable, the only downside is the areas is routinely described as some of the roughest country ever seen by the people successfully hunting it. So over Father's Day weekend I loaded up my truck and drove out there just to get eyes on the place and start developing an approach for hunting it.

The majority of the unit is made up of the Sacramento Mountains, the eastern portion of which look like this. It absolutely was not what I was expecting to find in New Mexico, and as gorgeous as it was it does not look very sheepy to me. Crossing over to the western portion of the range overlooking the Tularosa Basin though?

If I was a sheep thats where Id be!

The western portion of the unit consists of a substantial and steep looking network of canyons overlooking the city of Alamogordo. The close proximity of those canyons to the city of Alamogordo was very different to what I was used to. It took 10 minutes to drive to Starbucks from camp. I had better not get used to that kind of roughing it.

This was the view from where I camped. It was lovely.

Getting up on the canyon walls the view only improved. Unfortunately for me, getting up there was no simple task. As the pictures made clear, it was freaking steep. The slopes were also covered in lose rocks (Im not sure if these are actual scree or some other form of terrain dangering rocks) which made just about every step treacherous.

The local flora was also not particularly welcoming. I swear to god every plant on those slopes was pointy, the only question was *how* pointy. They were grown in dense too which made finding a route up the walls difficult. I spent a lot of time backtracking in search of another route because Id encountered a near impenetrable wall of spiny plants. The three primary offenders are pictured above. And then of course there were the sheer drops. Clefts in the walls 10+ feet high were everywhere, also forcing me to do frequent backtracking. As I frequently slipped on the lose rocks it was very clear a situation could develop where I slipped and fell and then slid a long way down into the drainage at the bottom of the canyon, probably bouncing off a few cacti as I went seems very, very possible. And after a fall like that I probably would not be capable of getting out alone. My chances of getting a phone call out from the bottom of those canyons was probably just about zero too. So, being there solo it was pretty clear I had put myself in a dangerous situation and this was going to be a discretion is the better part of valor type of deal and I would not be going back up those walls again without an emergency beacon.

Having come this far though I had to at least try to spot something. So I climbed a bit further to what looked like a good glassing spot and settled in.

Viewed in detail the place is even more remarkable. Its just amazingly harsh terrain dotted with caves, boulders and other cover. Glassing was going to be a major part of this hunt and in that regard I am well equipped. From up high it felt like the broader strategy for hunting the place was going to be pretty straightforward. Methodically move from canyon to canyon glassing hard. Nothing particularly sophisticated but patients and time will be required. This place is very huntable I just need to work out a strategy to safely be mobile.

For the walk out I decided to try getting into the drainage at the bottom of the canyon and walking that out. From above this seemed promising, but once below it quickly became clear I was wrong. The talus at the bottom of the canyon was even more treacherous than the scree above. The larger rocks tended to shift under foot while also being very pointy. Lots of climbing was required and trying to carry a rifle on a traditional sling while moving around was a serious chore. It was down here that I actually did have a fall, which due to nothing more than dumb luck on my part didnt even leave me bruised. I did however find several sizeable piles of deer scat so at least my suffering provided some interesting intel.

The view back at camp was per the norm, amazing. I ate some pasta salad(best warm weather camping food ever) and fell asleep immediately.

Breakfast was pretty good. Since I would not be going back up the walls this trip I slept in and had a leisurely breakfast. I glassed and ate and drank coffee.

Then I drove over to the next canyon and did some more glassing and drinking coffee. The verticality of the area is just remarkable. Sitting there staring at the side of a mountain made me realize just how *giant* the amount of area I had to glass was. With my coffee finished it was time to head home early.

I made a stop at the Lincoln NF ranger office and grabbed a motor vehicle usage map. I also got to see a neat elk statue.

I probably spent more time in the truck driving there and back than I did in the canyons on this trip. And while thats not perfect it is ok. I got answers to some of my questions, got eyes on the area I expect Ill be spending some time hunting and developed a basic approach for how to get started hunting the area. I also made it back home in time to spend Fathers Day with my family. All around a pretty good quick hunting trip.

DapperDraculaDeer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 25, 2023

Elchimpster
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone happen to have any luck with teal in the central flyway this year? Its awful dry down in my are and Im curious how everyone else has fared during the drought.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

Clearing out the freezer, this was the last mallard of last season. Pan seared and roasted with chestnut mushrooms and onions, served with a red wine and venison stock pan sauce, rice, and balsamic roasted carrots and green beans.

The sauce broke, but otherwise this was incredible, and both my kids ate it without complaint, which is a rare occurrence. Now we gotta stock back up on birds!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Clearing out the freezer, this was the last mallard of last season. Pan seared and roasted with chestnut mushrooms and onions, served with a red wine and venison stock pan sauce, rice, and balsamic roasted carrots and green beans.

The sauce broke, but otherwise this was incredible, and both my kids ate it without complaint, which is a rare occurrence. Now we gotta stock back up on birds!

That looks delicious. Would eat A+++++.

I'm sure you're not only are a much better cook than I am, but the presentation isn't anything I would even think of. It just all would have went on a plate, all mixed up when served.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

the presentation isn't anything I would even think of. It just all would have went on a plate, all mixed up when served.

That's absolutely what we would have done prior to the kids. We have an almost five year old and a 1.5 year old, and they may decide to take exception to any given aspect of a meal, so we have to serve things this way when we can in order to make mealtimes minimally fraught.

The eldest just helped my partner tie sinkers to a bunch of new duck decoys, we're hoping to have a better mallard season than we've been having a goose season up here on the Delaware.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

That's absolutely what we would have done prior to the kids. We have an almost five year old and a 1.5 year old, and they may decide to take exception to any given aspect of a meal, so we have to serve things this way when we can in order to make mealtimes minimally fraught.

The eldest just helped my partner tie sinkers to a bunch of new duck decoys, we're hoping to have a better mallard season than we've been having a goose season up here on the Delaware.

Gotcha.

"up here on the Delaware" In NJ, PA, or NY?

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Gotcha.

"up here on the Delaware" In NJ, PA, or NY?

PA, about 30 minutes north of Philly. It's kinda ideal in that it's walkable to hippie coffee shops for me and to a decent hunting spot for my husband. Tho I think NJ may have just posted his spot, so we'll see how this year goes.

Elchimpster
Mar 22, 2012

Hot drat that looks much fancier than Im used to. Im down in TX and we tend to just throw them on the pit

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

alnilam posted:

You can even get a deer into the trunk of a honda civic with the seats down and a tarp

I did this with a rental sedan once :haw:

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
A doe will fit into a 2013 Hyundai Elantra trunk no problem.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Ophidian posted:

A Jane Doe will fit into a 2013 Hyundai Elantra trunk no problem.

ftfy

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Both statements are accurate

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is this thread gonna end up as an Exhibit A in some criminal case? Hi judge!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Finally, my partner had a winning streak and got three Canadas in three outings.

One of those geese was a venerable old creature that weighed a solid 20 lbs. The breasts are seriously the size of beef roasts. My partner wasn't even the first to take a shot at it: I cut a beebee out of its wing that had been entirely healed over. So today has been mostly dedicated to processing this grandfather and its cousins.

After plucking the bird and parting it out, I roasted the carcass. This gave me bones for stock, a whole bunch of delicious goose fat, and about ten ounces of additional shredded meat for adding to risotto or soup.

The legs of the first two geese were pressure cooked with tomatillo salsa, garlic, chili powder and some tomato paste to make into burritos for the freezer. The breasts just came out of the smoker, having become pastrami.

One of the Venerable Goose breasts is also destined to become pastrami, the other is destined for an experimental goose bulgogi.

He's going out deer hunting on Saturday, so I'm excited to do a whole lot more of this over the next week or so!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

drat that is all awesome!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Finally, my partner had a winning streak and got three Canadas in three outings.

One of those geese was a venerable old creature that weighed a solid 20 lbs. The breasts are seriously the size of beef roasts. My partner wasn't even the first to take a shot at it: I cut a beebee out of its wing that had been entirely healed over. So today has been mostly dedicated to processing this grandfather and its cousins.

After plucking the bird and parting it out, I roasted the carcass. This gave me bones for stock, a whole bunch of delicious goose fat, and about ten ounces of additional shredded meat for adding to risotto or soup.

The legs of the first two geese were pressure cooked with tomatillo salsa, garlic, chili powder and some tomato paste to make into burritos for the freezer. The breasts just came out of the smoker, having become pastrami.

One of the Venerable Goose breasts is also destined to become pastrami, the other is destined for an experimental goose bulgogi.

He's going out deer hunting on Saturday, so I'm excited to do a whole lot more of this over the next week or so!

hell yeah, that all looks incredible

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Very nice. Okay I've changed my mind on goose hunting.

How hard are they to hunt? Is this one of those '4pt mule deer walks by my house but I can't find them when I need to' things?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I will be disappointed if this thread doesn't get updated a few times in the next couple weeks now that rifle deer season is among us.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

My for sure hunting season doesn't start until next year. I drew an AZ javelina tag for handgun, archery or muzzleloader that's for February. Might try to get out for squirrels and waterfowl between now and then but I also just bought my first house and little projects are taking up a lot of my free time.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have three tags for pa rifle starting Saturday. The goal is to fill at least one of them with my revolver. I have 5 days to do it so we’ll see.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This seems to be a bad deer season in my region. Shame, cause this year is the hardest I've hunted. I mean, I know I'm a pretty poo poo hunter, but no one I know, extending out to like i.e. 'my partners coworkers cousin's friend' level, has had much success.

I had a couple shots, but they were either on spike bucks or questionable shots, so alas, didn't take any. Shoulda hit that 10-pointer with my car yesterday mid-6am commute to the hunting spot across the road :hmmyes:

Been getting up to some pretty places though:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

This seems to be a bad deer season in my region. Shame, cause this year is the hardest I've hunted. I mean, I know I'm a pretty poo poo hunter, but no one I know, extending out to like i.e. 'my partners coworkers cousin's friend' level, has had much success.

This was my experience in Oregon this year. Everyone i knew, or who knew someone I knew, said it was a tough season. I saw tons of sign and I did see one big buck with no good shot on it (almost though). I had some beautiful mornings out in the woods though.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Ophidian posted:

I have three tags for pa rifle starting Saturday. The goal is to fill at least one of them with my revolver. I have 5 days to do it so we’ll see.

I'm heading up to deer camp for PA rifle on Saturday. Good luck!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Likewise. I’ll be in 2A same spot I’ve been hunting for 16 years or so.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
3D for me. Our family has been going up there for, jeez, I'd guess about 80 years.

We upgraded to a cabin two years ago after decades of tent/trailer camping, and making GBS threads in a hole in the woods. Outhouses are a blessing.

Good luck!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

PA goon(deer)camp when

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Four deer were harvested this year by our group in area 3D between Saturday and Monday: two buttons, a doe, and an eight.

They're going up there this weekend as well (I am not), so the number may go up.

:nws:

Three of the four: https://freeimage.host/i/JzukTfn

Elchimpster
Mar 22, 2012
Preffered rifle for deer season? I like the .30-.30 for shots in dense brush under 100 yards, .270 for anything farther than that.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Elchimpster posted:

Preffered rifle for deer season? I like the .30-.30 for shots in dense brush under 100 yards, .270 for anything farther than that.

Where we go .30-06 is preferred. A 270 is a good option as well.

.30-30's just don't do the trick where we go in 3C - the shots aren't close enough.

All the deer I posted above were taken with a .30-06.

To each his own, of course

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have a .30-30 and a 6.5CM and pick one or the other to suit where I’m going.

The 6.5 would be perfectly fine up close mind you but i find the .30-30 more carryable in the woods.

Next year I might try to use some of the AR parts I have to frankenstein a PA legal straight wall cartridge rifle but buying another savage would probably end up cheaper.

Elchimpster
Mar 22, 2012
Is your 6.5 a savage?

https://www.academy.com/p/savage-arms-axis-xp-fde-spiderweb-compact-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle?sku=6-5-creedmoor

I was considering one of these. I know its not fancy but its within my budget.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Elchimpster posted:

Is your 6.5 a savage?

https://www.academy.com/p/savage-arms-axis-xp-fde-spiderweb-compact-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle?sku=6-5-creedmoor

I was considering one of these. I know its not fancy but its within my budget.

It’s some kind of Axis, I forget the exact model. But yeah Savage is great value for budget in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elchimpster
Mar 22, 2012

the yeti posted:

It’s some kind of Axis, I forget the exact model. But yeah Savage is great value for budget in my experience.

Yes my 270 has never done me wrong. I also have a 30 year old .22lr by savage still running strong